2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Haha I thought it was funny. But I always believed that one crazy guy actually did it. But aren’t there some conspiracy theories out there? I’ve heard one or two. Staying on topic though…Speaking of conspiracies Kyrie Irving…great player! Haha
So Kyrie and flat earth? Try telling him a basketball is flat, not round.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Is it really? Not San Antonio or Houston?
I guess it's all relative. Most of the bigger cities, even in red states, lean liberal.
Dallas county is blue, their US rep, mayor and city council are almost always democrat. IIRC so is Travis county(Austin). I don’t know if Harris county and bexar (Houston and SA) are always blue, but they are probably trending that way. City of Houston definitely liberal, but Harris county is a much bigger county than Dallas and has a lot of suburban cities in it whereas Dallas county is almost all city of Dallas. IIRC all of the heavily populated counties were blue in the last presidential election to include Tarrant County (Fort Worth/Arlington). My former home county, Tarrant, is almost always leaning red so that was surprising to me to see the map turn blue. The Texas major cities have changed a lot over the last 20 years. Austin is about to break 1 mil if it hasn’t already and Fort Worth isn’t far behind. So yes the liberals are in the cities. And in DFW the handful of heavily populated suburban counties are red.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
So Kyrie and flat earth? Try telling him a basketball is flat, not round.
Haha I wish someone would ask him that. Is the bball flat or round? He may as well of been playing with a flat ball last season.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Sorry for turning this political. Anyway I can’t see lebron coming to Dallas. And I don’t think it is a good fit for him luka and Kyrie to be on the same team. But these guys kind of do what they want. Nothing that lebron, kyrie, or Luka ultimately decide would surprise me. At the end of the day none of them could be on the Dallas roster with the mistakes that mark Cuban has made and probably will continue to make. I hope I’m wrong especially about luka because he is fun to watch from a Dallas lens.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Dallas county is blue, their US rep, mayor and city council are almost always democrat. IIRC so is Travis county(Austin). I don’t know if Harris county and bexar (Houston and SA) are always blue, but they are probably trending that way. City of Houston definitely liberal, but Harris county is a much bigger county than Dallas and has a lot of suburban cities in it whereas Dallas county is almost all city of Dallas. IIRC all of the heavily populated counties were blue in the last presidential election to include Tarrant County (Fort Worth/Arlington). My former home county, Tarrant, is almost always leaning red so that was surprising to me to see the map turn blue. The Texas major cities have changed a lot over the last 20 years. Austin is about to break 1 mil if it hasn’t already and Fort Worth isn’t far behind. So yes the liberals are in the cities. And in DFW the handful of heavily populated suburban counties are red.
I’m currently staying at the Omni in Frisco. I’m taking suggestions what to spray paint on the Cowboys practice facility.

So far the leader is : “The real reason Jimmy left:Jerry stopped paying for their spa treatments!"

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I’m currently staying at the Omni in Frisco. I’m taking suggestions what to spray paint on the Cowboys practice facility.

So far the leader is : “The real reason Jimmy left:Jerry stopped paying for their spa treatments!"
Haha, well Jerry was too busy playing pretend GM with an airlines flight clerk in Little Rock and apparently having one too many bottles of Jonnie Walker. That’s the real reason Jimmy got fired.

Spray painting anything about Jimmy Johnson is sure to get under Jerry’s skin. He still hasn’t put Jimmy Johnson in the cowboys ring of honor.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Is this sarcasm? He gets smoked on defense here and has a guy 1 foot shooter physically force him 5 feet backwards when Wemby tries to post up... I don't care if the goofy shot went in. That is a terrible look.
Getting dunked on happens. But that's not the way you start of a HIGHLIGHT video! LMAO!

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is this sarcasm? He gets smoked on defense here and has a guy 1 foot shooter physically force him 5 feet backwards when Wemby tries to post up... I don't care if the goofy shot went in. That is a terrible look.
Dude are you blind? There is not another 7'4 guy that has ever existed with handles and mobility like that - that is what the point of that clip and it is mind blowing.

He will be the best player in the NBA, and one of the 10 best ever if he stays healthy

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Dude are you blind? There is not another 7'4 guy that has ever existed with handles and mobility like that - that is what the point of that clip and it is mind blowing.

He will be the best player in the NBA, and one of the 10 best ever if he stays healthy
He IS a talent. I remember we had another guy who is the original Unicorn (Porzingas) and we were supposed to be wowed with his career. Then we have a guy sitting in NJ, in Ben Simmons, that was supposed to be the next big thing. Now a guy in New Orleans, Zion, who can't stay on the court. I am just checking my enthusiasm on Webbie until he proves himself for a few seasons.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wemby is for sure very talented...in France. He's gonna get worked in the NBA. Moves like that wont get you around or over many NBA players.
He's 7'3 and weighs less than MOST PGs at 205lbs. Expect Pop to bring him along slowly the first year while he bulks up or he will get injured.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

My money is on monumental bust. His shot needs a ton of work, he is a bad shooter from the euro 3, is going to get physically bullied in the NBA, and guys of that height and build type have had basically zero hope of staying healthy.

That last part is the most important. Guys over 7 foot and built like that have basically never had more than a few healthy seasons in their entire careers.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
He IS a talent. I remember we had another guy who is the original Unicorn (Porzingas) and we were supposed to be wowed with his career. Then we have a guy sitting in NJ, in Ben Simmons, that was supposed to be the next big thing. Now a guy in New Orleans, Zion, who can't stay on the court. I am just checking my enthusiasm on Webbie until he proves himself for a few seasons.

Wemby is for sure very talented...in France. He's gonna get worked in the NBA. Moves like that wont get you around or over many NBA players.
He's 7'3 and weighs less than MOST PGs at 205lbs. Expect Pop to bring him along slowly the first year while he bulks up or he will get injured.

My money is on monumental bust. His shot needs a ton of work, he is a bad shooter from the euro 3, is going to get physically bullied in the NBA, and guys of that height and build type have had basically zero hope of staying healthy.

That last part is the most important. Guys over 7 foot and built like that have basically never had more than a few healthy seasons in their entire careers.
Agree with all of the above. He has talent, but I will be very surprised if he isn't, at the very least, a constant injury risk throughout whatever his career amounts to.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Spurs trade the #1 pick for players and draft picks.

They have the money to absorb players in a trade.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haha. But The city of Dallas would accept any star player. It is a band wagon town and always has been. They leave their morals behind when it comes to sports. I mean Greg hardy got a chance there. Maybe it’s because he likes guns(only joking though. What he did was sick).

FWIW the city of Dallas is the most liberal in Texas next to Austin last time I checked.

I don’t think this has much of a chance of happening but if anyone can decide where he wants to go it is lebron.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Funny Hardy hasn’t had the same success fighting grown men. He just got knocked out this last weekend

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

7’4 Ralph Sampson has entered the chat.

Bomani Jones did a break down the difference between 7’2 and 7’3+. It’s so odd but guys over 7’2 have a very long history of getting hurt. There’s never been a player with his body type who’s had any sustained success in the NBA.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Spurs trade the #1 pick for players and draft picks.

They have the money to absorb players in a trade.

I just don’t see it in Wemby. They could get the biggest haul in history for him but at the same time you kind of have to draft him and if he’s a bust no one will hold it against them

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don’t see it in Wemby. They could get the biggest haul in history for him but at the same time you kind of have to draft him and if he’s a bust no one will hold it against them

One trade and the Spurs are relevant again. It's tempting, depending on what they would get in return.

They should be able to get some proven young talent and picks. Let some other team take the risk.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shawn Bradley is another player that comes to mind when talking about height and build.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I read about the development of Manute Bol in Sports Illustrated decades ago. Supposedly he was very weak when he first got to the NBA. Manute went through tons of exercises and weight work. I really tip my hat to the hard work he had to do to be an NBA player.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Shawn Bradley is another player that comes to mind when talking about height and build.
None of these guys being listed come close to Wemby in terms of mobility and coordination. He’s also had excellent training from a young age in regards to his body.

“As detailed by Brian Windhorst and Jonathan Givony in an ESPN profile of the French phenom, Wembanyama has a rather detailed pregame routine. It “includes juggling tennis balls and going through other fast-twitch muscle and hand-eye coordination warmups” before moving on to a key area: Wemby’s feet.

“We have unbelievable experience working on how to avoid stress [injuries], how to avoid them with those long feet,” Bouna Ndiaye, Wembanyama’s Dallas-based agent, explained. “And we have been setting up a special program on Victor, on his feet these past three years. … We have been working very specifically on his body to make him safer, and with a different approach.”

What does that actually look like? Allow Windhorst and Givony to explain.

With shoes and socks off sitting on the floor, Alquier has him crawl on his fingertips and toes in an effort to strengthen his core. Then there is the big toe: [athletic trainer Guillaume] Alquier spends a lot of time working on the big toes. He will put bands around each of Wembanyama’s big toes and stretch them to create resistance. Wembanyama grimaces as he goes through the drill, pushing back to create tension.
BRIAN WINDHORST AND JONATHAN GIVONY
That’s not the entirety of the efforts, though. There are also some more standard techniques on the cards to keep the future star in playing shape. Not only has Wemby “been working to align his knees and learn how to land to soften the load,” but he aims for a specific amount of sleep — ideally 10 or 11 hours per day — and eats five meals “to help his muscles keep up with his bones.” Ideally, he’ll gain muscle without putting on too much weight.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
None of these guys being listed come close to Wemby in terms of mobility and coordination. He’s also had excellent training from a young age in regards to his body.

“As detailed by Brian Windhorst and Jonathan Givony in an ESPN profile of the French phenom, Wembanyama has a rather detailed pregame routine. It “includes juggling tennis balls and going through other fast-twitch muscle and hand-eye coordination warmups” before moving on to a key area: Wemby’s feet.

“We have unbelievable experience working on how to avoid stress [injuries], how to avoid them with those long feet,” Bouna Ndiaye, Wembanyama’s Dallas-based agent, explained. “And we have been setting up a special program on Victor, on his feet these past three years. … We have been working very specifically on his body to make him safer, and with a different approach.”

What does that actually look like? Allow Windhorst and Givony to explain.

That’s not the entirety of the efforts, though. There are also some more standard techniques on the cards to keep the future star in playing shape. Not only has Wemby “been working to align his knees and learn how to land to soften the load,” but he aims for a specific amount of sleep — ideally 10 or 11 hours per day — and eats five meals “to help his muscles keep up with his bones.” Ideally, he’ll gain muscle without putting on too much weight.
Well, it's probably good for him that he's doing this kind of conditioning. Maybe it will make a difference... we shall see. But the vagaries of basic physics are likely to be a formidable challenge for a very tall, very skinny guy in a sport that involves lots of jumping, cutting, and colliding with other bulkier/stronger athletes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave