2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
From what I read, it seems like Bob Myers is really making a life choice. It sounds like from what I read, if he stayed a GM, it would be with Golden State. I think if it wasn't for all the players on GS asking him to stay, he would have stepped down earlier. I can't see him landing anywhere else.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
From what I read, it seems like Bob Myers is really making a life choice. It sounds like from what I read, if he stayed a GM, it would be with Golden State. I think if it wasn't for all the players on GS asking him to stay, he would have stepped down earlier. I can't see him landing anywhere else.
Yeah, reports out here in the Bay Area are that he’s stepping away and will take time off. Doesn’t sound like he’s going to rush in to a new job and may not necessarily work as a GM again in the future.

The Suns should absolutely make a call, though.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pay this man and show James Jones the door.
Ishbia doesn't seem like the type to indicate James is safe, include him in the hiring process of the new coach then pulling the rug out from under him. I would definitly think less of him as an owner as much as I would to see this happen.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ishbia doesn't seem like the type to indicate James is safe, include him in the hiring process of the new coach then pulling the rug out from under him. I would definitly think less of him as an owner as much as I would to see this happen.

That would be a terrible look for Ishbia.

The amount of time he's been with the Suns, i'd say he never warmed to Monty. Had a plan to fire him if he didn't succeed, keep JJ, runs with new coach and JJ for this year. I think eventually IT comes in to our FO somehow.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That would be a terrible look for Ishbia.

The amount of time he's been with the Suns, i'd say he never warmed to Monty. Had a plan to fire him if he didn't succeed, keep JJ, runs with new coach and JJ for this year. I think eventually IT comes in to our FO somehow.
I know. Something always breaks. Computer, printer, networking box, and you have to call IT. IT fixes everything! :computer:

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pistons are pursuing Monty Williams as their head coach. He would be a good coach to elevate this team.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good for Monty, a class act to be sure. Might be a good spot all around. Detroit needs a turnaround, like Phoenix did in 2020, and Monty obviously has a great track record in that regard. And the Pistons won't have to worry about playoff collapses and questionable postseason roster choices and lack of in-game adjustments anytime soon. ;)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Good for Monty, a class act to be sure. Might be a good spot all around. Detroit needs a turnaround, like Phoenix did in 2020, and Monty obviously has a great track record in that regard. And the Pistons won't have to worry about playoff collapses and questionable postseason roster choices and lack of in-game adjustments anytime soon. ;)
It's not bad to be known for building teams as a coach. I was pointing out that Billy Martin made a whole coaching career of that in baseball.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing about this though is if he does go to Detroit, that is one less team that is supposedly very interested in Ayton which is a bummer.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing about this though is if he does go to Detroit, that is one less team that is supposedly very interested in Ayton which is a bummer.

That ended in the draft last year when Detriot traded to draft Jalen Duran. That’s why they didn’t offer Ayton a contract last year

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the Grizzlies will have more problems concerning Ja Morant.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It sounds like the Grizzlies will have more problems concerning Ja Morant.

I think the problems were there, meaning the nba turned a blind eye to existing damning information from the first incident. Now they’re just playing catch up as he continues to have these repeating occurrences.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the problems were there, meaning the nba turned a blind eye to existing damning information from the first incident. Now they’re just playing catch up as he continues to have these repeating occurrences.

Yeah, I suspect they've figured out the gun in the second video was the same as the gun in the first one.

The only reason, by the NBA's own admission, that Ja didn't get a 50 game suspension for the first offense was that the "gun wasn't his".

If what I suspect is correct then the NBA now feels like he should have been suspended for 50 originally, now you've got this video, compound it with that he blatantly lied.

It might be 50 games. but my guess is that he is suspended for the entirety of next season.

wagonmound464

Rookie
Reaction score
It seems that Ja's ego and his buddies are more important to him than his career? Let him set out for a year to
think more about his life.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I suspect they've figured out the gun in the second video was the same as the gun in the first one.

The only reason, by the NBA's own admission, that Ja didn't get a 50 game suspension for the first offense was that the "gun wasn't his".

If what I suspect is correct then the NBA now feels like he should have been suspended for 50 originally, now you've got this video, compound it with that he blatantly lied.

It might be 50 games. but my guess is that he is suspended for the entirety of next season.
I think he's gone for the season but even then, his reinstatement won't be automatic.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Skip and Shannon went over all the incidents and they’re 8 of them. I was watching like holy hell.

I honestly think his parents are jealous of his success. His Mom routinely calls him to handle these problems she kind of creates. Why would she keep trying to put him in these situations instead of protecting him

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Skip and Shannon went over all the incidents and they’re 8 of them. I was watching like holy hell.

I honestly think his parents are jealous of his success. His Mom routinely calls him to handle these problems she kind of creates. Why would she keep trying to put him in these situations instead of protecting him
As an aside, I'm going to miss listening to the two of them on SiriusXM. "Skip...Skip!"

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope Mat Ishbia thinks the same way. There will probably be a lot of competition for him.

From what he's saying he doesn't want another job right now. It sounds like he's a bit burned out and wants to step back and be with his family for a bit.

But I guess you never know.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson