2023 1st round pick is #6 Paris Johnson

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't get the focus on this board of cutting players to free up cap space.

Is the superbowl won by players or cap space?
Prob more so freeing up playing time and freeing up money for those players that will be here when we are competitive again

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I’d bet anything on that.. w that salary, his injury history and most agreeing he’s an avg starter.. then what are you confused about ?
Why anyone would possibly think that even an average starting LT in the league wouldn't even fetch a 5th round pick? I mean, that's a stretch so far it's like calling Gumbi a little flexible.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Prob more so freeing up playing time and freeing up money for those players that will be here when we are competitive again
Yes, part of my belief in cutting him after this year is that we can slide Johnson over to LT and slide Jones or a high draft pick into RT. I don't see us paying that kind of money to Hump and not have him play LT, so if coach/GM feel that Johnson is ready to be the heir apparent after this year then I see them moving on from Hump.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why anyone would possibly think that even an average starting LT in the league wouldn't even fetch a 5th round pick? I mean, that's a stretch so far it's like calling Gumbi a little flexible.
Hmm… I’m sorry Stout but you don’t what you’re talking about. Top tiered players don’t even get their value when the salary, injury history don’t make sense. Do you think Hopkins is worth more than a 5th rounder? He’s surely been a million times better than Hump.. even at his age

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Hmm… I’m sorry Stout but you don’t what you’re talking about. Top tiered players don’t even get their value when the salary, injury history don’t make sense. Do you think Hopkins is worth more than a 5th rounder? He’s surely been a million times better than Hump.. even at his age
lol Don't even get me started :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I still don't like the new unis, but I am sore tempted to get one. I'll have to see what the non-gameday jerseys cost. I learned the fit lesson the hard way about those.
Saw them at Just Sports this weekend. They’re decidedly mid.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes, part of my belief in cutting him after this year is that we can slide Johnson over to LT and slide Jones or a high draft pick into RT. I don't see us paying that kind of money to Hump and not have him play LT, so if coach/GM feel that Johnson is ready to be the heir apparent after this year then I see them moving on from Hump.
This is such a strange argument to be made at this point in time. You can't "build" a top roster in three years if you are constantly letting your best players go.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I also don't understand the anxiety over Paris Johnson playing RT. The Eagles didn't fret about Lane Johnson playing RT. Worst case scenario Paris struggles for two years and the Cardinals flip him over to LT. Best case is he excels at RT and we just draft a LT in the future or flip Paris to LT at that point. Wirfs is making that change now.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
he moves really well -- not just for a big man

side note: one of the criticisms of Kliff's scheme was that its protection schemes were not well developed

i am curious to see how protection looks when: better pass pro schemes + having two tackles who dont need help in most situations

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I also don't understand the anxiety over Paris Johnson playing RT. The Eagles didn't fret about Lane Johnson playing RT. Worst case scenario Paris struggles for two years and the Cardinals flip him over to LT. Best case is he excels at RT and we just draft a LT in the future or flip Paris to LT at that point. Wirfs is making that change now.

Yup! Easy peasy for your boy - Tristan:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Yup! Easy peasy for your boy - Tristan:

Yeah, I shared that in another thread....super eye opening. The guy who many on here lament the Cardinals not drafting is admitting to having a hard time adjusting....and the team and his PR allowed it to be so public. There shouldn't be anything wrong with an athlete admitting their struggles and needing help. I hope he's able to get it all behind him and have a successful career. At the end of the day, Paris may settle in so nicely at RT, that he ends up staying there for his career. He could be the next Jackie Slater.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Couple good options at tackle in the coming draft as well. Not sure if that would be an option , probably depends on where those picks end up. I still believe Hump would be a guy to keep around but I think he would be really great if he kicked inside to guard.