2022 World Cup Thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True but Ronaldo strikes me as taking it to a different level. Amazing player, and man his wife/girlfriend is smoking hot.
Absolutely on both accounts. They have an interesting documentary on Netflix...

Lorenzo

Reaction score
the Germany/spain match was fun to watch. I was impressed with Germany's response coming off of that loss. this is such a weird World Cup. I honestly don't know what to expect from our boys, I just hope we score early and often.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
the Germany/spain match was fun to watch. I was impressed with Germany's response coming off of that loss. this is such a weird World Cup. I honestly don't know what to expect from our boys, I just hope we score early and often.

An early US goal would do wonders for the team and probably really open up the match. I really hope that is the case, as much as Donovan’s late goal against Algeria is one of my favorite US soccer memories I could do without 90+ minutes of tension again.

Did anyone see this?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You sound like Tammany Hall with voting: Vote early, vote often :D

Stout

Reaction score
An early US goal would do wonders for the team and probably really open up the match. I really hope that is the case, as much as Donovan’s late goal against Algeria is one of my favorite US soccer memories I could do without 90+ minutes of tension again.

Did anyone see this?

Disgusting. Iran should have been kicked out of the tournament before it started anyway. I know it's not their region, but Ukraine should have been installed instead. I want to say eff this team, but it isn't the players' fault.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
CCV for Zimmerman is the only unexpected change.

Wish we added either Reyna or Aaronson and sat Sargent but it’s who we are going to battle with. Can’t wait!

Stout

Reaction score
I don't care for recycling Sargent into the lineup--we have the most crosses in open play and the least amount of shots on target. Our forwards don't get the job done, and hitting the post scores nothing. We should be playing with a false 9 in this game.

Also, bringing in Carter-Vickers? This is risky.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG. I was really hoping for a false 9 and dropping Sargent/Wright. I really wasn't expecting dropping Zimmerman. Like Stout said, this is really risky.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I’d really like to see Sargent prove all his doubters wrong today. If he scores I will change my avatar to his ginger face.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I'd love for him to score and be a problem - It would be great if he could consistently hold up and draw attention to create space and just be involved

I just haven't seen it from any of the 9s for the US

Maybe they think Iran will absorb pressure and are looking for a target.

I think they would be better stressing the full width and layering in center runs and interchange with guys like Pulisic, Reyna and Aaoronson

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love for him to score and be a problem - It would be great if he could consistently hold up and draw attention to create space and just be involved

I just haven't seen it from any of the 9s for the US

Maybe they think Iran will absorb pressure and are looking for a target.

I think they would be better stressing the full width and layering in center runs and interchange with guys like Pulisic, Reyna and Aaoronson
This is exactly what I would like to see too.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I think it's what they are good at.

Always a chance that Iran would not respect players too wide without a target in the middle, but I think there is still enough where a guy like McKennie could get up for a header if you give the crosser all day.... Plus they tend to draw with them and also attack inward into dangerous positions

It's interesting that is the type of player we kind of have at a surplus

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The United States scores but they have an injury.

They lead Iran 1-0.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
That's how they can score

Pulisic in bad shape though, see how he can finish

Will be interesting - Iran looked good in the first couple minutes when they were trying to possess in their 3rd.

They'll have to open up a little.

I think the US will need a second goal

Stout

Reaction score
Playing well. Should be up a couple at least though.
This. I'm ecstatic to have a goal, and almost get another, but finishing has been and remains a problem. We should be up a couple now. We still don't have a striker on this roster with enough quality to be starting at a WC.

Ah, enough of that! We are winning a game we need to win, and are on course to play the Dutch Saturday morning. Which is serendipitous, as my Dutch/German friend and I are always in the same place at noon on Saturdays, so catching the match together will be perfect.

We simply need to see out the win. We will see out the win. Score another to secure the victory, please--and secure me a bet win ;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. I'm ecstatic to have a goal, and almost get another, but finishing has been and remains a problem. We should be up a couple now. We still don't have a striker on this roster with enough quality to be starting at a WC.

Ah, enough of that! We are winning a game we need to win, and are on course to play the Dutch Saturday morning. Which is serendipitous, as my Dutch/German friend and I are always in the same place at noon on Saturdays, so catching the match together will be perfect.

We simply need to see out the win. We will see out the win. Score another to secure the victory, please--and secure me a bet win ;)
We don't have a problem finishing in this game. Weah finished that really tough shot even though it looks like he was 3 inches offside. The 3-2 with Weah/Sargent/Pulisic and Sargent making the wrong choice was the problem.

Stout

Reaction score
We don't have a problem finishing in this game. Weah finished that really tough shot even though it looks like he was 3 inches offside. The 3-2 with Weah/Sargent/Pulisic and Sargent making the wrong choice was the problem.
Yeah, that was a problem. But that's part of finishing--picking out the right pass and getting into the right positions. Not getting shots on targets is a big part of finishing, too. How many have we blazed over the top? We could be up by a couple now, if we finished well.

Then again, ifs are tough. If Iran made the most of their few pressures against us, we could easily be losing. I'm more than happy to be winning in this situation, thanks :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose