2022 Arizona Cardinals Roster Review

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
@RugbyMuffin used to do this every once in a while. I haven't seen it in a while, but I thought I'd see who the camp bodies are and who's in a dogfight for a roster spot come July.

Lead-Pipe Locks (29)
Kyler Murray (QB)
Colt McCoy (QB)
James Conner (RB)
Marquise Brown (WR)
A.J. Green (WR)
DeAndre Hopkins (WR)
Rondale Moore (WR)
Zach Ertz (TE)
Trey McBride (TE)
Maxx Williams (TE)
Kelvin Beachum (OL)
Rodney Hudson (OL)
D.J. Humphries (OL)
Josh Jones (OL)
Justin Pugh (OL)
Zach Allen (DL)
J.J. Watt (DL)
Dennis Gardeck (EG)
Markus Golden (EG)
Zaven Collins (LB)
Isaiah Simmons (ILB)
Jeff Gladney (CB)
Byron Murphy (CB)
Marco Wilson (CB)
Budda Baker (S)
Jalen Thompson (S)
Aaron Brewer (LS)
Andy Lee (P)
Matt Prater (K)

Probably In (13)
Jonathan Ward (RB)
Antoine Wesley (WR)
Justin Murray (OL)
Will Hernandez (OL)
Kingsley Keke (DL)
Leki Fotu (DL)
Rashard Lawrence (DL)
Devon Kennard (EG)
Myjai Sanders (EG)
Cameron Thomas (EG)
Ezekiel Turner (LB)
Tanner Vallejo (LB)
Dionte Thompson (S)

Gotta Earn It (13)
Eno Benjamin (RB)
Keaontay Ingram (RB)
Greg Dorch (WR)
Andy Isabella (WR)
Sean Harlow (OL)
Marquis Hayes (OL)
Joshua Miles (OL)
Lecitus Smith (OL)
Michael Dogbe (DE)
Victor Dimukeje (EG)
Jesse Luketa (EG)
Antonio Hamilton (CB)
Christian Matthew (CB)

That's 55 players before getting into camp stories and the handful of UDFAs who make a push for the bottom of the roster.

Looking at this, I feel better about our OL depth. I believe that competition increases quality internally and you can't throw money at every position group. I don't think we're going to have three players named to the Pro Bowl from this group, but I think we have a pretty strong group of eight to ten roster players.

I still feel absolutely ill about our defensive line situation. I'd really like to bring in someone else who you can feel good about as a starter -- an IDL version of Darrell Williams (who still isn't on the Cards official roster, FWIW).

Our Edge group also makes me feel pretty queasy. When your roster locks are Markus Golden and Dennis Gardeck and you're hoping that you drafted a couple of gems in the third and that Devon Kennard can recapture the magic of three seasons ago behind them — I just don't know. It's easy to say that if everyone gets 4-7 sacks you've actually done better than last year, but you have to be on the field in certain situations to get those sacks, and I dunno how much Vance Joseph wants to run a rotation like that.

I also feel pretty good about our defensive back room. I know that Football Outsiders says that our biggest need right now is at cornerback, but I think Joseph's defense is more forgiving of corners than other systems.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with everything you said.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
@RugbyMuffin used to do this every once in a while. I haven't seen it in a while, but I thought I'd see who the camp bodies are and who's in a dogfight for a roster spot come July.

Lead-Pipe Locks (29)
Kyler Murray (QB)
Colt McCoy (QB)
James Conner (RB)
Marquise Brown (WR)
A.J. Green (WR)
DeAndre Hopkins (WR)
Rondale Moore (WR)
Zach Ertz (TE)
Trey McBride (TE)
Maxx Williams (TE)
Kelvin Beachum (OL)
Rodney Hudson (OL)
D.J. Humphries (OL)
Josh Jones (OL)
Justin Pugh (OL)
Zach Allen (DL)
J.J. Watt (DL)
Dennis Gardeck (EG)
Markus Golden (EG)
Zaven Collins (LB)
Isaiah Simmons (ILB)
Jeff Gladney (CB)
Byron Murphy (CB)
Marco Wilson (CB)
Budda Baker (S)
Jalen Thompson (S)
Aaron Brewer (LS)
Andy Lee (P)
Matt Prater (K)

Probably In (13)
Jonathan Ward (RB)
Antoine Wesley (WR)
Justin Murray (OL)
Will Hernandez (OL)
Kingsley Keke (DL)
Leki Fotu (DL)
Rashard Lawrence (DL)
Devon Kennard (EG)
Myjai Sanders (EG)
Cameron Thomas (EG)
Ezekiel Turner (LB)
Tanner Vallejo (LB)
Dionte Thompson (S)

Gotta Earn It (13)
Eno Benjamin (RB)
Keaontay Ingram (RB)
Greg Dorch (WR)
Andy Isabella (WR)
Sean Harlow (OL)
Marquis Hayes (OL)
Joshua Miles (OL)
Lecitus Smith (OL)
Michael Dogbe (DE)
Victor Dimukeje (EG)
Jesse Luketa (EG)
Antonio Hamilton (CB)
Christian Matthew (CB)

That's 55 players before getting into camp stories and the handful of UDFAs who make a push for the bottom of the roster.

Looking at this, I feel better about our OL depth. I believe that competition increases quality internally and you can't throw money at every position group. I don't think we're going to have three players named to the Pro Bowl from this group, but I think we have a pretty strong group of eight to ten roster players.

I still feel absolutely ill about our defensive line situation. I'd really like to bring in someone else who you can feel good about as a starter -- an IDL version of Darrell Williams (who still isn't on the Cards official roster, FWIW).

Our Edge group also makes me feel pretty queasy. When your roster locks are Markus Golden and Dennis Gardeck and you're hoping that you drafted a couple of gems in the third and that Devon Kennard can recapture the magic of three seasons ago behind them — I just don't know. It's easy to say that if everyone gets 4-7 sacks you've actually done better than last year, but you have to be on the field in certain situations to get those sacks, and I dunno how much Vance Joseph wants to run a rotation like that.

I also feel pretty good about our defensive back room. I know that Football Outsiders says that our biggest need right now is at cornerback, but I think Joseph's defense is more forgiving of corners than other systems.
I like all of that except Ward being in. I do not think the Cards draft a RB if they did not feel the remaining backs past Conner are on the bubble. I suspect Ingram is in and Eno and Ward are going to have to battle it out... though the Williams addition could be seen both ways for the remaining backs

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I like all of that except Ward being in. I do not think the Cards draft a RB if they did not feel the remaining backs past Conner are on the bubble. I suspect Ingram is in and Eno and Ward are going to have to battle it out
I think they like Ward better than anyone on this board does. They liked him better than Eno, and coaches don't usually weigh in on late-round picks.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think they like Ward better than anyone on this board does. They liked him better than Eno, and coaches don't usually weigh in on late-round picks.
I think the Ingram selection was pure Kingsbury looking at his potential when the guy was at UT from afar

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scary-looking roster & not in a good way.

Very much like our TE room though.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I'd add Williams as a lock, flip Josh Jones and Will Hernandez, and like it or not Devon Kennard is probably a lock since he was willing to adjust his pay to stay. I can see them keeping all five edge guys from your top two sections. Definitely agree with the need to bring in a quality DL - a true, effective space eater NT would better enable the other DL and edge guys where there are question marks.

Beyond that, this is a really solid take.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Agreed. They like Ward for ST's and they seem to see potential in him at RB. Had him above Eno all last season on the depth chart when healthy. Nearly all Eno's work last year came in the 3 games Ward was out.

Eno was a scratch 7 times. Ward not once.

Not sure what they see outside that one nice helmet catch he had, but they see something.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm hoping they bring in someone else at IDL to create more competition. Just dire there.
I think Dogbe is a good workman NFL player.

but the DL lacks a beefy power player. Fotu has the size but he plays more like an End than a NT.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Good roster. Not great, but good. Front seven is only weak area, but it is really weak. They need help on d-line and end rusher.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
there are still a decent sized group of guys out there still -- all over 30 yrs old ( mostly over 32)

Akiem Hicks is the highest profile one, but IIRC he was hurt last year.

Malik Jackson is another -- played more than 50% of snaps last year. I think he played for Vance in Denver --

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Fabian Moreau had a down year with the Falcons last season and could be a great buy-low opportunity. Atlanta was dead-last in adjusted sack rage by a significant margin (3.8% -- next lowest was 5.3%).

The remaining guys are all older, one-year rentals (Hoe Haden, Kyle Fuller, Chris Harris, etc., etc.). Wouldn't be surprised at all if Keim brings back Robert Alford.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fabian Moreau had a down year with the Falcons last season and could be a great buy-low opportunity. Atlanta was dead-last in adjusted sack rage by a significant margin (3.8% -- next lowest was 5.3%).

The remaining guys are all older, one-year rentals (Hoe Haden, Kyle Fuller, Chris Harris, etc., etc.). Wouldn't be surprised at all if Keim brings back Robert Alford.
Heard today he's going back to the Falcons

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose