2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still money out there. Khem Birch receives 3 year, $20 million contract.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not surprising, no Andre Iguodala in cards for Suns.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not surprising, no Andre Iguodala in cards for Suns.

I only saw him play a few times recently but he didn't look like he belonged on the court anymore. With all this interest I'm wondering if I caught him on the wrong nights. Anyone see him play and still be effective?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only saw him play a few times recently but he didn't look like he belonged on the court anymore. With all this interest I'm wondering if I caught him on the wrong nights. Anyone see him play and still be effective?

dude‘s a ghost on the floor now.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Yeah, Iggy’s cooked.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm glad the Suns are not chasing these type players around.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure somebody already said most of this…, Probably multiple people, but the Phoenix Suns needed to lock up Chris Paul in CP15, a legit backed up for DA, and somebody with some legit 4/5 size to replace Dario Saric. I think that unless they can get a good deal on the latter in free agency they'll go into the season with Smith and Johnson as the backup 4s. It might also be nice to get another PG on the bench, but I'm not terribly concerned about that.

It doesn't surprise me that we aren't signing a bunch of veteran free agents. There isn't going to be a lot of playing time to be had barring injury. That said I would feel a lot more comfortable with another 4/5 or long 3/4 on the roster who can play some D and keep defenses honest. They'll probably give Smith that opportunity and I don't know possibly check out some other summer league league team guys like Alexander to take a spot as well.

Anyhow, the point I was trying to make before I started rambling is that it sounded like James Jones was convinced the best moves he could make this summer were to bring back the core of the team from last year and count on improvements from the young players. Hopefully they can keep the torch lit under DA's butt even if he signs an extension for the season starts. Overall I would say his general improvement in the playoffs was the biggest factor in our success and it will be going forward as well Oh yeah, the icing on the cake would be Booker's continued Improvement defensively and consistent accuracy from the three-point range.

Joe mama

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kelly Oubre is in discussions about signing with Charlotte.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not overpaying Oubre is one of the best decisions we made. We were able to move his expiring deal along with Rubio for CP3. Even though he’s gone we have a lot to be thankful for his time here.
I would have kept Rubio and paid Oubre, sure glad we didn't. But Kelly had those nights when he was a lot of fun to watch.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Neh, he is not effective anymore. I was hoping for him to sign here, but more as a mentor/ coach for Bridges and Cam J than as an actual player. There was no way he was gonna sniff the playing time on this team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will repeat this here as well.

As I understand it free agent signings can be made official on Friday August 6 at 12:01 p.m. ET. which would be 9:01 a.m. Arizona time.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Oh come on, he is waaaaay better than Oubre.
I’ll entertain an argument that Bridges is the better player (I think he can be more efficient despite averaging fewer PPG and RPG than Oubre), but to say he’s “waayyyyyy” better is hyperbole. I’m on record saying that I’d pay $15mil/year for Bridges to return; and if Kelly is worth $13 mil, I don’t think I’m being unreasonable.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll entertain an argument that Bridges is the better player (I think he can be more efficient despite averaging fewer PPG and RPG than Oubre), but to say he’s “waayyyyyy” better is hyperbole. I’m on record saying that I’d pay $15mil/year for Bridges to return; and if Kelly is worth $13 mil, I don’t think I’m being unreasonable.

I think it's understatement, I would have said he is way, way, way better. Oubre can make a horrible team a little better, Mikal can make a very good team a little better.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5/85 sounds fair to me for a top notch role player.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Oubre has always been a net negative according the metrics. If he weren’t good looking with some personality/swag we’d talk about him like he’s Kent Bazemore or something (nothing against Bazemore’s attractiveness/personality).

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, I think he is waaaaaaay better. Oubre is a good energy guy who you have to yank off the court if his shot isn’t falling. He doesn’t really play off the ball and he is a mess on defense who does nothing but gamble for steals on end. He can be fun to watch but night to night he is as likely to hurt you as help you.

Bridges is rounding in an elite 3 and D player. I don’t know if he can make the leap to being a True #3 but he isn’t far off. Just needs more consistency on offense.

IMO that was a serious overpay for Oubre and Bridges market, at minimum, will be like 70 mil, 4 years.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

oh your way off and it’s been pointed out by everyone since posting this. Oubre isn’t really that good. He’s an energy guy who’s a black hole on offense and not really a stand out defender

but hey he wears cool clothes right

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Center Willie Hernangomez agrees to three-year deal with Pelicans.