2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I like Baynes just because he is miles tougher than Kaminski. People cannot go through him going to the hoop. Baynes seems to do a little better with his sideways motion. He blocks the path to the hoop better than Kaminsky. Age really doesn't matter to me because they are both year-at-a-time players anyway.

Also, if you really need some hard fouls to give in the playoffs, Baynes is your man, not Kaminsky.

Totally agree. Suns need at least a couple guys who can give hard fouls. That was more than apparent in a couple of the playoff rounds.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns just went to the Finals with Ayton as a key piece. I will take the better defensive player in Ayton. AzStevenCal has covered the rest.
IMO if you replaced Ayton with Kat this season, we would have a championship.

Agree to disagree, and I was really just wondering if it was even possible with their contracts. I'm really glad Ayton has started to show some of his potential, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and say he's "definitely a max player". He will get a max deal , but that is mostly because it's expected and still heavily based on potential.

A year ago, before CP3...I think lots of people would have traded Ayton for Kat in a heartbeat. My biggest question is will Ayton ever be able to become a dominant offensive weapon, which IMO is a mist for a franchise player. Same concern for Bridges btw

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Agree to disagree, and I was really just wondering if it was even possible with their contracts. I'm really glad Ayton has started to show some of his potential, but let's not get ahead of ourselves and say he's "definitely a max player". He will get a max deal , but that is mostly because it's expected and still heavily based on potential.

A year ago, before CP3...I think lots of people would have traded Ayton for Kat in a heartbeat. My biggest question is will Ayton ever be able to become a dominant offensive weapon, which IMO is a mist for a franchise player. Same concern for Bridges btw
Ayton is a max player because he will receive a max deal. Whether he deserves it is another question but the reality is that he will be a max player.

and ignore his defense at your own peril.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's day 2 of free agency? I can't believe some people expected our roster to be opening day ready by this point. Last offseason was historically short and he didn't fill out the roster that quickly. its better he takes his time than is impatient. Deals can't even be made official yet either.

I trust the guy who built the reigning western conference champs to fill out the roster in a competitive manner over those who question his competency after the progress he's shown. He did take this team from #29th in the league to #2 in less than 2 years.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton is a max player because he will receive a max deal. Whether he deserves it is another question but the reality is that he will be a max player.

I understand. Maybe since max deals are handed out like candy, the term I'm looking for is Franchise player. We have Booker, who is a Franchise player, but long term I don't know if I see Ayton or Bridges as a 1A type player. I don't think either one can dominate a game offensively, which sometimes you need. Add a 2nd dominate offensive player to our WC playoff opponents, and I'm not sure we make it to the finals at all.

Lebron/AD
Joker/Murray
George/Kwai
Giannis/Middleton

When CP3 was healthy enough, he was our 2nd gun. As the playoffs went on he couldn't be that guy, and we had no one else to full those shoes.

Kat could be that 1A weapon...and IMO that's what puts us over the edge. If we can get CP3 to be our 3rd scoring option, we are a much more dangerous team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After seeing the exceptional deals James Jones negotiated with Chris Paul and Cam Payne, I wouldn't say Ayton is a surefire max player. He may get it but I don't think its as much of a foregone conclusion as some have suggested.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
After seeing the exceptional deals James Jones negotiated with Chris Paul and Cam Payne, I wouldn't say Ayton is a surefire max player. He may get it but I don't think its as much of a foregone conclusion as some have suggested.

Before the Suns have to decide whether or not to pay him the max, it would be nice to know if his moments of disappearance at this point are more inherent in him or else more the product of having to carry too much of a load in the front court by himself...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I need another year of evidence. If he plays at an all-star level and we end up paying more next summer I can live with that. I’m not sure what the difference in max contracts is between years three and four. Unless he makes all-pro I don’t think there’s a back breaking difference but don’t know for sure.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I feel this is completely wrong.

The suns need Aytons Defense and Rim Protection and rim running way more than they need more scoring from 3 point range.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Woof! Talk about an overpay

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Before the Suns have to decide whether or not to pay him the max, it would be nice to know if his moments of disappearance at this point are more inherent in him or else more the product of having to carry too much of a load in the front court by himself...
Yes we know you want us to sign Charles Barkley but unfortunately it ain't happening. Just start a thread with your PF obsession and keep it there. Start a Sarver went from building a championship team to wanting to hold a pesky 8 million bucks overnight thread. Lol it's the same crap every post

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Lebron really trying to play the underdog role and thought better of it:

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Julius Randle agrees to 4 year, $117 million extension.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Julius Randle agrees to 4 year, $117 million extension.

Little surprised by that. I read a lot of speculation that he'd play out his deal and then sign a new max contract which would net him about $100 million more in salary but he'd have to gamble on being as productive this year as he was last.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little surprised by that. I read a lot of speculation that he'd play out his deal and then sign a new max contract which would net him about $100 million more in salary but he'd have to gamble on being as productive this year as he was last.

Julius Randle seems happy he found a home with the Knicks. Maybe he decided to go with the sure thing rather than possibly overreaching his good fortune.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Julius Randle seems happy he found a home with the Knicks. Maybe he decided to go with the sure thing rather than possibly overreaching his good fortune.

I don't blame him. $140 million in the bank is hard to turn down for the possibility of getting $240 a year later. Especially when we saw so many stars suffer from ACL, Achilles, and various other injuries. Throw Covid into the mix as an added uncertainty and I'd take the guarantee now also.

I just found it interesting how media speculation pointed the other direction, that he'd definitely bet on himself. He does have a history of doing so since he left the Lakers and has taken a few short term deals.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't blame him. $140 million in the bank is hard to turn down for the possibility of getting $240 a year later. Especially when we saw so many stars suffer from ACL, Achilles, and various other injuries. Throw Covid into the mix as an added uncertainty and I'd take the guarantee now also.

I just found it interesting how media speculation pointed the other direction, that he'd definitely bet on himself. He does have a history of doing so since he left the Lakers and has taken a few short term deals.

Yeah, the market can be fickle and as you say, there is always the risk of injury. I would have probably chosen the bird in hand as well.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Heh up until the Finals, Ayton was giving up like 38% at the rim. That is winning basketball if your primary rim defender can do that. The math alone accounts for significantly lower scoring from the other team, and accounts for more than the difference between KAT and Ayton's scoring totals.

Every sport has players that put up great stats but can't be counted on to actually win. KAT has had more than enough good teammates around him to prove that he can be a primary guy, and he hasn't proved it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lou Williams agrees to deal with Hawks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get the hype around this Bulls team. IMO, they're going to need Patrick Williams to make a BIG leap to even make the playoffs.

They're going to lose a lot of games by scores like 135-115.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get the hype around this Bulls team. IMO, they're going to need Patrick Williams to make a BIG leap to even make the playoffs.

They're going to lose a lot of games by scores like 135-115.

I think they’ll be a 4-6 seed in the East they got a lot of talent

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George Hill will sign with Bucks for 2 years, $8 million.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson