2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jarred Vanderbilt (22) would be a nice power forward target but he is a RFA.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jarred Vanderbilt reminds me of Pascal Siakam without a jump shot. I don't know if the Suns could work something out with the Timberwolves.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
5/85 sounds fair to me for a top notch role player.

We can't sign Bridges to an extension for 5 years unless its the max. 4 years is the maximum length we can offer now, provided it's less than max money. If we wait until he hits restricted free agency though we can do 5 years.

I'm thinking 4 years/$70 million. I'd go to $80 but am not comfortable going above that.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm so glad we didnt max Oubre out as some suggested 2 years ago. I was a fan and would have liked to have kept him for a reasonable salary and if he'd accept a bench role. As a Sixth Man I think he'd be amongst the best in the league in that role, being able to play the 2, 3, and 4. As a starter though he's not a top tier player.

I think the deal he got from Charlotte is fair. He'll probably do well in the East with a flashy PG like LaMelo feeding him. I'd be uncomfortable locking him long term for more than $12-14 million a year or though because it tanks his trade value since he's no longer young enough to hope for much improvement.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad we didnt max Oubre out as some suggested 2 years ago. I was a fan and would have liked to have kept him for a reasonable salary and if he'd accept a bench role. As a Sixth Man I think he'd be amongst the best in the league in that role, being able to play the 2, 3, and 4. As a starter though he's not a top tier player.

I think the deal he got from Charlotte is fair. He'll probably do well in the East with a flashy PG like LaMelo feeding him. I'd be uncomfortable locking him long term for more than $12-14 million a year or though because it tanks his trade value since he's no longer young enough to hope for much improvement.
It's probably a fair contract but I'm not sure he can't make a huge leap going forward. His biggest drawback has to do with decision making (when to pass, when to shoot etc.) and maturity could make a big difference. I don't know that I'd want to take that gamble but at that price, the risk isn't that great.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think most fans wanted a three year contract for Oubre so the Suns could retain his rights as a RFA.

A sixth man role might be ideal for Oubre although I think he can start as well. We won't know Oubre's upside until this coming season. Last season he was coming off an injury and he was trying too hard to fit into the Warriors offense.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's probably a fair contract but I'm not sure he can't make a huge leap going forward. His biggest drawback has to do with decision making (when to pass, when to shoot etc.) and maturity could make a big difference. I don't know that I'd want to take that gamble but at that price, the risk isn't that great.

Its a gamble that makes sense for Charlotte and probably would have made sense for the Suns 2 years back but I'm grateful we don't go further in than we did. I'm sure a longer deal was discussed with the Suns but considering where we were, tying our future to him wouldn't have been wise based on seeing how little he impacted our record on the floor.

He definitely helped rejuvenate the fan base but winning does that also. We had guys like Mikal and Cam already here so losing him wasn't as big of a deal. Charlotte could use a good wing scorer like him based on how they looked last year. Adding Oubre to that team should improve things.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think most fans wanted a three year contract for Oubre so the Suns could retain his rights as a RFA.

A sixth man role might be ideal for Oubre although I think he can start as well. We won't know Oubre's upside until this coming season. Last season he was coming off an injury and he was trying too hard to fit into the Warriors offense.

I don't think he struggled that much to fit in as much as struggled to play in an empty arena. Its tough to say which it was, or if it was both, but for someone who plays to the crowd and feeds off that energy to lose that aspect completely was as big of an adjustment as going to a new team. As fans came back, he improved, but he was also used better over time. They started the year trying to use him as a spot up perimeter shooter, like a 2 Guard and that was quite different than what he'd done here and in Washington.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Damn, we have a lot of Mikal homers on this board. Bottom line is if he were soooo much better than Oubre as people are opining, he would’ve supplanted Oubre in the starting line up.

I frankly don’t like Oubre at all. He quit on the team and has some personality issues. But if you believe that from a talent standpoint that Bridges is on a different tier, you’re being intellectually dishonest, especially if you think Bridges is greater than $2 mil more annually.

I hope Mikal significantly outplays Oubre for the rest of his career and exceeds my expectations.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Free agent signings can be submitted NOW to league office for approval.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, we have a lot of Mikal homers on this board. Bottom line is if he were soooo much better than Oubre as people are opining, he would’ve supplanted Oubre in the starting line up.

I frankly don’t like Oubre at all. He quit on the team and has some personality issues. But if you believe that from a talent standpoint that Bridges is on a different tier, you’re being intellectually dishonest, especially if you think Bridges is greater than $2 mil more annually.

I hope Mikal significantly outplays Oubre for the rest of his career and exceeds my expectations.

Questionable technique there TJ, telling us we must be homers and intellectually dishonest because we hold a different opinion than you do?

And your "starting" argument is incredibly weak. Bridges started 56 games his rookie season. All told, he's started 150 games in his 3 seasons (2 of them shortened by Covid) whereas Oubre has started 11 fewer games than Mikal despite entering the league 3 years before him. It's a team game, advanced stats say that we are a much better team when Mikal is out there.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DeAndre' Bembry agrees to sign with Nets.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You have not looked at the stats. He is in a different tier.

Also - he did replace Oubre, that's why we were fine with trading him away.

I have also heard several NBA reporters say Mikal is going to get 20 million plus a year - and they aren't Suns fans.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dennis Schroder thinks he is 25 million dollar a year player. I don't know why he thinks this. He looked abysmal against the Suns for the most part. I have watched him play. If any team is stupid enough to pay him that much good luck. That is only a few million off what we are paying Paul in the twilight of his career and Schroder is not even close to CP3 at his age.

The Suns will take him for the minimum. :wink2:

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reggie Jackson plans to return to Clippers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Javonte Green will return to Bulls.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Bridges are in similar tiers when you consider overall ability and play. Bridges is a tier above Kelly defensively and Mikal is a tier below Oubre offensively.

Neither are top tier guys on either side but I like Bridges odds of improving more than Kelly at this point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In an Adrian Wojnarowski tweet above (post #1317) he says signings are not allowable until 6 p.m. Eastern time.

If this is correct, signings are not allowed until 3 p.m. Arizona time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dennis Schroder thinks he is 25 million dollar a year player. I don't know why he thinks this. He looked abysmal against the Suns for the most part. I have watched him play. If any team is stupid enough to pay him that much good luck. That is only a few million off what we are paying Paul in the twilight of his career and Schroder is not even close to CP3 at his age.

There was a point last season where 25 million was only looking like a small overpay. Things fell apart after that, in part due to the difference in the way the Lakers, the media and the league treated Lebron versus players such as Dennis.

Anyway, I'd hate to be the team that was stuck with him long term as he can be a real problem child but I'm a little pissed that the Lakers got bailed out by Shroder's greed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe the Lakers offered 4 years and $84 million for Shroeder in an extension but he turned it down. He'll be lucky to get more than $10 from someone this year, IMO. Money has dried up and I don't see anyone offering up anything in a sign and trade.

This will be a hit on Rich Paul though. As LeBron ages out and more teams draw a line in negotiations though, Paul will lose power and this will help show other players that he won't always deliver.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude Oubre is going to be in his 8th year in the NBA next year he’s not going to get better and be this different player he is who he is now.

an energy guy

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ll entertain an argument that Bridges is the better player (I think he can be more efficient despite averaging fewer PPG and RPG than Oubre), but to say he’s “waayyyyyy” better is hyperbole. I’m on record saying that I’d pay $15mil/year for Bridges to return; and if Kelly is worth $13 mil, I don’t think I’m being unreasonable.
I think you’re way off the market for a number of reasons:

Bridges upside potential is considered much greater than oubres.

Bridges is a MUCH better three point shooter. Oubre shot 32% in volume last season - yuck.

Bridges is a much better defender than oubre.

oubre is a black hole.

oubres comment last season that he’s not a bench player. Hubris pretty big there. Whereas Bridges is the complete opposite and a team first mentality.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There was a point last season where 25 million was only looking like a small overpay. Things fell apart after that, in part due to the difference in the way the Lakers, the media and the league treated Lebron versus players such as Dennis.

Anyway, I'd hate to be the team that was stuck with him long term as he can be a real problem child but I'm a little pissed that the Lakers got bailed out by Shroder's greed.

I don’t think Schroeder is a problem his best years came with Chris Paul and we all know how demanding he is.

I think Vogel was way in over his head. You got two guys who have proven themselves as good players in Schroeder and Trez and it’s just like he had no idea what to do with them. Somebody has to take the fall in the media for Lebron failing cause it damn sure ain’t gonna be Lebron

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard