2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Bridges are in similar tiers when you consider overall ability and play. Bridges is a tier above Kelly defensively and Mikal is a tier above Oubre defensively.

Neither are top tier guys on either side but I like Bridges odds of improving more than Kelly at this point.

I don't know how you get there? Last year their scoring totals were close with the edge going to Kelly but a significant edge in efficiency going Mikal's way. Oubre is the better rebounder but Mikal has small leads in turnovers, assists, steal and blocks.

But again, the gap in offensive efficiency means everything here (TS of .667 to Oubre's .529) especially since Kelly's scoring advantage is less than 2 point per game. Mikal's advantages aren't quite as distinct if you compare entire careers but still, Mikal leads overall offensively and defensively.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Damn, we have a lot of Mikal homers on this board. Bottom line is if he were soooo much better than Oubre as people are opining, he would’ve supplanted Oubre in the starting line up.

I frankly don’t like Oubre at all. He quit on the team and has some personality issues. But if you believe that from a talent standpoint that Bridges is on a different tier, you’re being intellectually dishonest, especially if you think Bridges is greater than $2 mil more annually.

I hope Mikal significantly outplays Oubre for the rest of his career and exceeds my expectations.
Lol, he DID supplant oubre. The reason they traded oubre was because they were ready to move bridges into the starting lineup - and he was better than oubre.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol, he DID supplant oubre. The reason they traded oubre was because they were ready to move bridges into the starting lineup - and he was better than oubre.
Ha! Of course he did! We all knew it. They just did not switch out the starting line up because they did not want to diminish Oubre's trade value.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know how you get there? Last year their scoring totals were close with the edge going to Kelly but a significant edge in efficiency going Mikal's way. Oubre is the better rebounder but Mikal has small leads in turnovers, assists, steal and blocks.

But again, the gap in offensive efficiency means everything here (TS of .667 to Oubre's .529) especially since Kelly's scoring advantage is less than 2 point per game. Mikal's advantages aren't quite as distinct if you compare entire careers but still, Mikal leads overall offensively and defensively.

Bridges is more efficient but Kelly can do more without being spoon fed. Kelly's stats last year were bad and he started the year historically awful from the field, shooting something like 10% from 3 through his first 10 games and his overall FG% was below 30% as well. So its hard to compare the 2 effectively by looking at last years stats alone. Comparing Kelly's previous year as a starter here vs Mikal last season is more what I believe the Hornets are hoping for.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I think Bridges are in similar tiers when you consider overall ability and play. Bridges is a tier above Kelly defensively and Mikal is a tier below Oubre offensively.

Neither are top tier guys on either side but I like Bridges odds of improving more than Kelly at this point.
This is a fair and reasonable response. Oubre’s body of work is largely proven and I don’t think he can get much better. Bridges could get better, but personally, I don’t see how he could. I’d rather him hone in on defense and improve as a perimeter defender, since his role on the team is to mitigate the opponent’s best wing player

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damn, we have a lot of Mikal homers on this board. Bottom line is if he were soooo much better than Oubre as people are opining, he would’ve supplanted Oubre in the starting line up.

I frankly don’t like Oubre at all. He quit on the team and has some personality issues. But if you believe that from a talent standpoint that Bridges is on a different tier, you’re being intellectually dishonest, especially if you think Bridges is greater than $2 mil more annually.

I hope Mikal significantly outplays Oubre for the rest of his career and exceeds my expectations.
Well, if you care in the least allot the defensive end of the court, then yes, they are on vastly different tiers. Bridges is very good on that end, Oubre is very bad. Toss in that Bridges is a better shooter and there is no comparing the 2.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges is more efficient but Kelly can do more without being spoon fed. Kelly's stats last year were bad and he started the year historically awful from the field, shooting something like 10% from 3 through his first 10 games and his overall FG% was below 30% as well. So its hard to compare the 2 effectively by looking at last years stats alone. Comparing Kelly's previous year as a starter here vs Mikal last season is more what I believe the Hornets are hoping for.

Although it's not quite as extreme, Mikal still holds a dramatic edge in efficiency using Oubre's previous season or any season. Mikal this year had a TS of .667. Oubre's best season or partial season best was in Phoenix last year with a .560. Mikal is simply a better basketball player on both ends of the court.

Sure, Oubre can do things Mikal can't but his failures count too. And his inability to discern when to pass and when to shoot make him a lousy teammate in many ways in addition to being less efficient on offense and far less effective on defense.

You're usually so quick to rely on stats, I'm not sure why you're hanging on to this idea that Oubre is better than Mikal on offense. Can be better, yes, but the numbers are clear, he has not been Mikal's equal on offense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@JCSunsfan

There goes Justise Winslow to the Clippers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kawhi Leonard has committed to returning to Clippers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Durant to sign 4 year, $198 million extension with Nets.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
James Jones is a big Mikal fan and a fan of wings in general. If you believe the reports he wanted Bridges and Sarver overruled McDonough. They traded up for Jones’ guy instead of SGA. McDonough was fired a few months later.

With what we’ve seen with the Paul and Payne deals we might be able to ride the hometown discount momentum. Maybe something along the lines of 4/80m. The folks throwing out 4/60 is never happening given his age and two way ability.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kevin Durant to sign 4 year, $198 million extension with Nets.

Feel good for nash as a hc of nets my all time sun next to barkley and paul now

Least nash has a good owner who spends for nets and nash

Would be awesome to see nash get ring as hc!! But hopin paul first lol ugh...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones is a big Mikal fan and a fan of wings in general. If you believe the reports he wanted Bridges and Sarver overruled McDonough. They traded up for Jones’ guy instead of SGA. McDonough was fired a few months later.

With what we’ve seen with the Paul and Payne deals we might be able to ride the hometown discount momentum. Maybe something along the lines of 4/80m. The folks throwing out 4/60 is never happening given his age and two way ability.

I hope you are right about James Jones negotiating a discount for Mikal Bridges.

The conversation about Shai has long been exhausted but if he was available in trade and McDonough drafted him, he would still be the Suns GM. The problem is we don't know if the Clippers would have done that trade.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like he is getting a 2 year 9.8 million contract, which is more than we could of offered anyways.

don't we have 5 million left in the MLE? If so, couldn't we have offered 2 years, 10 million?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
don't we have 5 million left in the MLE? If so, couldn't we have offered 2 years, 10 million?

We spent $5 million which leaves us with approximately $4.5 million. We probably could have come really close financially because $4.5 million is the first year and with a 5% raise for year 2 it would be $9.23 million or so.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We spent $5 million which leaves us with approximately $4.5 million. We probably could have come really close financially because $4.5 million is the first year and with a 5% raise for year 2 it would be $9.23 million or so.

ah. right.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard