2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, the Suns made it to the Finals without Saric even playing well. The backup center and power forward positions need to be fixed but it's not like the Suns need to add stars.

No, but they DO need to add serviceable players there. We saw in the NBA Finals how the roster as it currently stands can be downright exploited by any team with size up front.

That being said, if the reports are true, Dieng at the BAE is a good start. Add another serviceable big with the MLE, and fill out the roster as needed, and I think we would be good to go.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He got in a fight with Booker a few years ago.

I remember but things can change. I'm not locked into Dieng but he would be a solid acquisition for the BAE. Maybe he even takes the minimum.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If they bring in Gorgui Dieng they need to bring another big 4/5 as well.

Hopeful Depth Chart (with CP's both back as rumored)
PG: CP3, CP15, Tyshon
SG: Book, Shamet
SF: Mikal
PF: Crowder, Cam, Jalen
C: Ayton, Saric

Going of JJ saying he prefers 3 deep at each position we need another SG, 2 SF, 2 C (as Saric out)

Shamet can play some sparingly 1/3
Cam can play at 3/4
Jalen possibly some 5

I think to be a more rounded and bigger team we need a good back up 5 but also a big 4/5 first then look at another 2/3 guy

Crowder and Cam are SF, not PF.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, but they DO need to add serviceable players there. We saw in the NBA Finals how the roster as it currently stands can be downright exploited by any team with size up front.

That being said, if the reports are true, Dieng at the BAE is a good start. Add another serviceable big with the MLE, and fill out the roster as needed, and I think we would be good to go.

I'm a solid believer in taking every roster spot seriously. It's a long season. A lot can happen.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I remember but things can change. I'm not locked into Dieng but he would be a solid acquisition for the BAE. Maybe he even takes the minimum.
Seems like James Jones values team chemistry more than most GMs.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They both play 90% at PF. Jae plays more PF than any other position the last 4 years.

Jae lacks the height, and Cam lacks the strength, to be effective there. That was painfully evident in the NBA Finals.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like James Jones values team chemistry more than most GMs.

I think so, the same with Monty. Sometimes you have to bring in players that play near the edge to get over the top. Bobby Portis paid huge dividends for the Bucks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jae lacks the height, and Cam lacks the strength, to be effective there. That was painfully evident in the NBA Finals.

I think Giannis was the primary culprit. He is a superstar. Can't do much about that but the Suns can add bench size and address players like Bobby Portis.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Although I would prefer to resign CP3 and CP15, and extend DA and Mikal, we could use some more flexibility. I know some have mentioned possibly trading Mikal but as I mentioned the only way I would think of trading him or Cam would be for a better star. I was looking at other players that could play bigger roles than Mikal or Cam for us and the players that came to mind were Ingram or Siakam (Mikal, Saric, Jalen and pick or picks for either). Ingram may be the harder get. Rumors of Lowery to Miami for Dragic+ doesn't give them much and will be more rebuilding thus potentially making Siakam avail.
NBA Radio thinks siakam is on the way out as he doesn’t get along with nurse. Could be interesting. Don’t see jones pulling the trigger though.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
I am going off their playing times at their positions under Monty. Both Jae and Cam play more PF than anywhere else. Cam plays the 3 next to Jae when Mikal is resting and plays the 4 when Mikal is in. Jae has the weight, ala Draymond and Milsap, etc to play the 4 and that has been his primary position of play at the last 4 years, and most definitely the last 2 years helping his teams to the Finals. The NBA game is about multi positional play and switchability, thus Landry, Book, Mikal, Jae, Cam, Saric, EtWaan, Craig, Nader, Frank.....they all can play multi-positional ball and don't lose a whole lot if switching as a lot of teams still do. With that being said, I do agree we need more height and weight a the 4/5, thus me stating I think the priority outside resigning CP3 and CP15 is a legit back up 5 and another legit 4/5 type guy.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Giannis was the primary culprit. He is a superstar. Can't do much about that but the Suns can add bench size and address players like Bobby Portis.

Precisely. Giannis will get his, though if Ayton had any help at all, it wouldn't have been such a historic domination by him. The problem was Portis and Lopez killing us as well, plus even their wings and guards having their way inside and on the offensive glass.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crowder and Cam are SF, not PF.
Crowder is not a small forward. LOL. He is always matched up against other PF on defense. Yes, he doesn't have the typical post up PF role on offense (his role is to shoot and stretch) but he is not a small forward.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No matter how many times you say that it won't make it true. Jae is a PF. Look around the league, the average PF is built like Jae.

Only 2-3 inches taller (Draymond Green really being the only exception).

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody was stopping Giannis and I agree adding bench size would have limited the other players who were complimenting him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am Ok with Dieng. I would love Caruso. That means Moore and Galloway would go I would assume.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I hope this isn't the case. If we lose Payne to NY then I surely hope the teams discuss S&T. They have several players that could help our roster.....Noel being A1, but Burks, Bullock, (for me, McBride...still think he's gonna be a great player)

I also think if we lose Payne, then we need to full court press TJ McConnell as his replacement

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's go with the Suns starting lineup. There is nothing wrong with it. Keep Payne and Cam Johnson, then add depth.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sadly
Crowder is not a small forward. LOL. He is always matched up against other PF on defense. Yes, he doesn't have the typical post up PF role on offense (his role is to shoot and stretch) but he is not a small forward.
Yes Crowder is as close to a PF as we have. Its not working in the postseason. We need a PF that has a personal dislike for the rim. I love Jae but he's not that guy.
An offensive PF will open up the floor helping Jae, DA our shooters and our Point God. It really should be addressed.
I'm gonna stop now because I think everybody knows where I stand on the PF situation at this point.
Go Suns!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only 2-3 inches taller (Draymond Green really being the only exception).
Crowder is 6-6, 240 and all muscle. Average NBA pf is 6-8, 234. He plays pf exclusively. He is not a sf. He is a pf in the mold of a PJ Tucker. There are a number of effective players like this.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I hope this isn't the case. If we lose Payne to NY then I surely hope the teams discuss S&T. They have several players that could help our roster.....Noel being A1, but Burks, Bullock, (for me, McBride...still think he's gonna be a great player)

I also think if we lose Payne, then we need to full court press TJ McConnell as his replacement

This is typical Knicks. If they want to spend their wad on Payne, then let them. I really like Payne but he is not a starter. There are other options if the Suns are quick to recognize it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose