2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Bobby Portis going to get more than the MLE? If not he is the Suns best choice at PF

I agree because Portis can play inside and outside, also the 4/5.

So many things variables go into signings. It's hard to know what goes on behind the scene.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kawhi Leonard to become an unrestricted free agent but the expectation is for him to stay with the Clippers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

if I’m the Clippers I say thank God and let him walk. The guys been healthy in the playoffs like once in the last 4-5 seasons and now he’s most likely gonna miss this whole season. He’s never going to be that guy again and it sucks cause he was a great talent but it looks like his knees just aren’t going to let him

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So can another team sign paul now that he declined option wtf cp3...... oh well if he leaves no foster issues

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So can another team sign paul now that he declined option wtf cp3...... oh well if he leaves no foster issues

It's an expected move. This way the Suns can sign Paul for multiple seasons at a lower yearly salary. Paul was scheduled to make $44,211,146 next season if he picked up his option.

It should free up money to sign Cam Payne.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if I’m the Clippers I say thank God and let him walk. The guys been healthy in the playoffs like once in the last 4-5 seasons and now he’s most likely gonna miss this whole season. He’s never going to be that guy again and it sucks cause he was a great talent but it looks like his knees just aren’t going to let him

I doubt the Clippers let Kawhi walk though. Kawhi and George were their ticket to get a championship.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I doubt the Clippers let Kawhi walk though. Kawhi and George were their ticket to get a championship.

im not saying what the Clippers do I’m saying what I would do.

it’s clear Kawhi’s knees have other plans

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hearing on nba radio Noel getting attention from pistons and mavs. No mention of suns.

I’m not hearing much of anything about the Suns, except CP3 is 99% coming back.

no mention of Payne. No mention of the Suns as a FA destination. Hell, some of the talk for who’s going to be good next year, the Suns are an after thought, if mentioned at all.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I’m not hearing much of anything about the Suns, except CP3 is 99% coming back.

no mention of Payne. No mention of the Suns as a FA destination. Hell, some of the talk for who’s going to be good next year, the Suns are an after thought, if mentioned at all.
That’s James Jones to a tee.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
IMHO, Kawhi opted out cause he's done with the Clips. I think he is healthier than he's allowing Clips to know because the team reps didn't properly address his injury correctly in the Playoffs. If you watched him in the stands for WCF he showed no emotion or anything. He'll sign elsewhere.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

It is expected. You have to officially decline the option before you can sign a new contact. For CP3, it is even more expected because of his age. It's a weird provision in the CBA for older players.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are there any good size big men that are in fa that help with big pf ugh..... in fa?

Man west gonna be bit tougher with la landing westbrook cant shoot much but triple double machine now has james davis looking forward to that poffs not..... as a fan stresser lol

Hope suns can make 1 splash move in fa... not sure on there cap situation though

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
It is expected. You have to officially decline the option before you can sign a new contact. For CP3, it is even more expected because of his age. It's a weird provision in the CBA for older players.
If CP3 opted in, then Suns would only be able to sign him for a 2 yr extension.

With CP3 opting out, we can sign him to a new 3 or 4 yr contract (with the 4th yr going through the Over 38 loophole)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMHO, Kawhi opted out cause he's done with the Clips. I think he is healthier than he's allowing Clips to know because the team reps didn't properly address his injury correctly in the Playoffs. If you watched him in the stands for WCF he showed no emotion or anything. He'll sign elsewhere.

He had surgery to repair a partially torn ACL. There really isn't much to hide in that regard. He won't be playing this season.

As far as the showing no emotion, he's Kawhi. His weird personality is in a league of its own. No one can read him.

He could leave, he may not. No one will know for sure until he signs on the dotted line somewhere. He held up almost the entire league 2 years ago because no one knew what he was doing or where he'd end up. He won't repeat that this year because of his health but there will be a ton of guesses and little factual info about his destination and why he wants to go there.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. I guy with an ACL declines a contract like that?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. I guy with an ACL declines a contract like that?

KD did similar coming off a blown Achilles. I can only imagine how Suns fans would react to signed a big name free agent for max money knowing they won't be contributing anything that first season because they won't be healthy. It makes some sense to keep a star with an injury like that but adding one is beyond risky.

Kawhi's agent deserves a raise and whoever negotiated for the Clippers, their GM should be fired. Just look at all the concessions they made for him from what they traded away for his preferred running mate (Shai & a boatload of picks), Kawhi ran Trez out of town as well as some other players whose names escape me that didn't like how management let him "load manage", they under achieved and got Doc canned in his first year, and Kawhi can opt out and leave after just 2 years.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am trying to remain optimistic about James Jones but many of the players that analysts say the Suns should target are all over the rumor mill being attached to other teams. Maybe this Paul thing is holding things up. Maybe Jones is just being Jones. All I know is I am getting a tad nervous at this point because other teams are making moves and the Suns need help. I have to trust a guy that helped build a team 2 wins a way from a title.....still.

Last edited: