2021 7th round pick A is James Wiggins S

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seriously. That's a good philosophy to have late in the draft. Like the pick.
That’s why I hated the Evan Weaver pick last year. You always draft guys with developmental traits on Day 3, not “first one in, last one out” & “scrappy” guys.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That’s why I hated the Evan Weaver pick last year. You always draft guys with developmental traits on Day 3, not “first one in, last one out” & “scrappy” guys.

I mean, maybe take one of those guys as a special teams ace. But, even then, speed and athleticism kills and can make a special teams ace, too.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Safety is a position we’ve actually been good at drafting recently, may have definitely found a gem here

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
His path to making the roster is to beat out either Deionte Thompson, Charles Washington, or Chris Banjo. I'd think Thompson might be vunerable since the other two are good special teamers.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more I read/watch about this guy the more I like the pick
Reading the pundits talking about him I don't get how he slipped to round 7

He has athletic ability, good production, upside

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
maybe this guy was a victim of the pandemic afflicted college football season? :shrug: seems like he should have gone higher...

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more I read/watch about this guy the more I like the pick
Reading the pundits talking about him I don't get how he slipped to round 7

He has athletic ability, good production, upside

Injuries are the main reason and he didn't look back to himself this year

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember him from the UCLA game(s) for 2 reasons. He had a great INT jumped in front of a TE like a CB would. ANd he had one of the more embarassing KO returns you'll see, the blocking was perfect he broke through and just when you think he's gone for a TD the kicker JJ Molson took him down like it was nothing. As the scouting report says he has a very short stride weird running motion. obviously if he can run 4.4 that might not matter but you watch that KO return, about the 30 second mark on the first video Dr Jones posted, and you can see why scouts question his ability to play FS he just doesn't seem like he has any ability to change direction just straight line.

Looks to be very strong though hopefully he's as good as some people think

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Safety is a position we’ve actually been good at drafting recently, may have definitely found a gem here

this is true. Hard to think of another position where we have gotten better value with multiple picks thank the Safety/Slot position... Is there another?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a really good feeling about this guy.

I think he may play well enough we can trade 1 or both of the Thompsons by the end of training camp.