2021 7th round pick A is James Wiggins S

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well damn this wouldn’t be smart at all.

We have 7 guys - you only need 4. 3 of our backups played a lot of snaps last year too.

To me it would be stupid not to trade one of them if we can get help at another position we don't have depth in like TE or RB or CB.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We have 7 guys - you only need 4. 3 of our backups played a lot of snaps last year too.

To me it would be stupid not to trade one of them if we can get help at another position we don't have depth in like TE or RB or CB.

This isn't Madden. Budda Baker and Jalen Thompson are significantly better than the other safeties.

Who would trade for Chris Banjo or Charles Washington? Answer: no one.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This isn't Madden. Budda Baker and Jalen Thompson are significantly better than the other safeties.

You're right, it's not a great idea, but I'm still not sold on Jalen. He has potential, but still has a lot to prove. Which is another reason not to trade him, we wouldn't get much.

In my opinion he's the weakest area of the defense until he shows up more.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, that’s why I said trade a Thompson.

banjo, and the guy we got from Cincinnati both should be more than adequate backups, if not starters.

wiggins would need to look good before I would do it.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're right, it's not a great idea, but I'm still not sold on Jalen. He has potential, but still has a lot to prove. Which is another reason not to trade him, we wouldn't get much.

Legitimately don’t know how you can even say this with what our CB2, ILB(if Hicks starts), & DT room looks like right now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Jalen Thompsons only issues have been injuries, not on the field play.

Wiggins provides some insurance.

As far as trading one of the depth guys, I'd be shocked if any of those guys could even pull a 7th. When Budda and Jalen went down last year, safety was a disaster...why would the Cardinals put themselves in that same position again?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jalen Thompsons only issues have been injuries, not on the field play.

Wiggins provides some insurance.

As far as trading one of the depth guys, I'd be shocked if any of those guys could even pull a 7th. When Budda and Jalen went down last year, safety was a disaster...why would the Cardinals put themselves in that same position again?

Hmmm. His on field play has been nothing to write home about. In 2019 he was "Not as garbage as everyone else" in a poor defense . Then last year he barely played and when he did I don't recall much standing out.

Reasonable would be the best I could give him so far, yet I see some talk about him like he's been playing at a high level for 2 years. He still has a lot to prove.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hmmm. His on field play has been nothing to write home about. In 2019 he was "Not as garbage as everyone else" in a poor defense . Then last year he barely played and when he did I don't recall much standing out.

Reasonable would be the best I could give him so far, yet I see some talk about him like he's been playing at a high level for 2 years. He still has a lot to prove.
I fall between you guys. I don’t see him as a problem and I look for improvement, which I think he’s capable of. But he’s certainly hasn’t attained the level that some credit him with. Truth be told I’ll bet the three of us are within single digit degrees of one and other on Jalen.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I fall between you guys. I don’t see him as a problem and I look for improvement, which I think he’s capable of. But he’s certainly hasn’t attained the level that some credit him with. Truth be told I’ll bet the three of us are within single digit degrees of one and other on Jalen.

I think can, and has been, a good starter when healthy. Even BritCards venerated PFF rates him well.

But I'm glad they improved the safety depth because the Cardinals can't rely on him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think can, and has been, a good starter when healthy. Even BritCards venerated PFF rates him well.

But I'm glad they improved the safety depth because the Cardinals can't rely on him.

Defending them from the "PFF dOn'T kNoW wHaT tHe pLaY iS" crowd isn't venerating them. Like any other tool, including football outsiders, it has it's flaws. But by and large it's accurate.

And yes, Thompson had a decent grade last year on a very limited 230 or so snaps. He had a mediocre grade the year before on 650 or so. If you even them out he's an average player which is where I would rank him right now. He has potential for sure, but he's not as good as some here suggest.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Defending them from the "PFF dOn'T kNoW wHaT tHe pLaY iS" crowd isn't venerating them. Like any other tool, including football outsiders, it has it's flaws. But by and large it's accurate.

And yes, Thompson had a decent grade last year on a very limited 230 or so snaps. He had a mediocre grade the year before on 650 or so. If you even them out he's an average player which is where I would rank him right now. He has potential for sure, but he's not as good as some here suggest.

I don't see anyone overrating Jalen Thompson right now. Even the most optimistic views basically assert that he is a solid player who hasn't been able to stay healthy.

He is clearly the second best safety on the roster and trading the second best player at a position group on a cheap contract for circus peanuts isn't the way to get better. It's a bad idea.