2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thybulle is a good defender but he’s averaging under 6 ppg... Tyrese Halliburton would be the Sixers best PG instantly which is something they need. Plus two more shooters in Barnes/Hield (if that report is true).
And they get to dump Harris.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There isn’t a great fit for Simmons. If you have a guy making max money you’d hope he’s not an end-of-game liability. No way I do that deal for the Kings.

I'm not sure where Simmons is a good fit. Whoever trades for him might consider trading for Kyrie Irving as well. :)

I hope the Kings are smarter than trading for Simmons but then they passed on Doncic. They may feel pressure to add another star type player.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Simmons is a unique talent. If he ever gets his head right about shooting he will be a monster. Btw. Philly had two shooting head cases in Simmons and Fultz . Maybe there is a coach that is using some weird techniques?

I would play Simmons as a pf. Kind of a pf version of Jokic.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
There isn’t a great fit for Simmons. If you have a guy making max money you’d hope he’s not an end-of-game liability. No way I do that deal for the Kings.
So, I'll probably get flamed for this but my hot take is that Phoenix should take a shot at Simmons. We are well equipped with spacing around to help offset Simmons lack of shooting and I trust Monty to be able to still make the offense work with him, with or without the ball. He's in the same age range as most of our core and defensively he would be another elite switchable 1-4 defender.

Caveats abound:
- It'd have to be in the offseason, the salaries are almost impossible to make work otherwise
- Only worth considering if Phoenix didn't win it all
- Philly would have to lower their expectations on a return (centered around Mikal, Crowder, Saric and whatever picks we can throw in)
- Philly doesn't get to offload Harris

Let's be realistic, there's 0% chance this would happen, but I actually think Phoenix is one of the few teams today where Simmons could fit in.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Simmons is a unique talent. If he ever gets his head right about shooting he will be a monster. Btw. Philly had two shooting head cases in Simmons and Fultz . Maybe there is a coach that is using some weird techniques?

I would play Simmons as a pf. Kind of a pf version of Jokic.

According to several reports Simmons wants any team he plays on the tailor their offense around him as a point guard. Embiid has said the reason the Sixers traded Simmons is because Simmons doesn't want to play with another primary ball handler.

The dude is toxic. Who ever ends up trading for him is going to be a dumpster fire.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I'll probably get flamed for this but my hot take is that Phoenix should take a shot at Simmons. We are well equipped with spacing around to help offset Simmons lack of shooting and I trust Monty to be able to still make the offense work with him, with or without the ball. He's in the same age range as most of our core and defensively he would be another elite switchable 1-4 defender.

Caveats abound:
- It'd have to be in the offseason, the salaries are almost impossible to make work otherwise
- Philly would have to lower their expectations on a return (centered around Mikal, Crowder, Saric and whatever picks we can throw in)

Let's be realistic, there's 0% chance this would happen, but I actually think Phoenix is one of the few teams today where Simmons could fit in.

The Suns are all about team. IMO, it would be hard to find worse fits than Kyrie Irving or Ben Simmons.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Caveats abound:

Wouldn't trade Bridges for Simmons straight up.

Bridges is an equally impactful defender, even as limited as Bridges has been on offense he is not the total liability that Simmons is late in games and Bridges is not a toxic, selfish loser.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wouldn't trade Bridges for Simmons straight up.

Bridges is an equally impactful defender, even as limited as Bridges has been on offense he is not the total liability that Simmons is late in games and Bridges is not a toxic, selfish loser.

Simmons as bad as he is offensively is in another world when it comes to everything else compared to Bridges. Simmons is a legit lockdown defender and Bridges is not

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Embiid dropped 50 in 27 minutes

That was a pathetic effort by the magic

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Simmons as bad as he is offensively is in another world when it comes to everything else compared to Bridges. Simmons is a legit lockdown defender and Bridges is not

Agreed. He brings an element of ball handling and creation that Bridges doesn’t. The issue is spacing when he’s on the floor with another big.

It’s interesting on paper but we’d for sure need mentally tough players during the playoffs.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You literally have to pull him off the court in the clutch and he is unwilling to play in an offense that isn't built around him as the primary ball handler.

Wouldn't touch the guy.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You literally have to pull him off the court in the clutch and he is unwilling to play in an offense that isn't built around him as the primary ball handler.

Wouldn't touch the guy.

That’s fine. Still better than Bridges

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless last postseason is the new Simmons, yes he's better than Bridges and by quite a bit. But if last postseason is all Ben will ever be in the future, I'll take Mikal over him - even Mikal with the bad pinky.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am right there between you two. Bridges is a legit lockdown defender but Simmons is better.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am right there between you two. Bridges is a legit lockdown defender but Simmons is better.
I think Mikal is very good but I wouldn't exactly call him a lockdown defender, players get past him too often for that label IMO. Where he really excels is after his player gets a step on him, he recovers better than anyone I can think of. He breaks up so many plays that way although fewer now since he injured his dominant hand.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If you want to get knocked out of the playoffs in embarrassing style... he is your guy.

And fearless prediction, whatever sucked team trades for him will not make the playoffs unless he totally changes his attitude and is willing to play forward.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the Raptors gave the Mavericks a good workout.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pacers coming on strong in the 4th, up 8 vs the Lakers in the 4th.

Watching LA lose never gets old.

Lakers totally unraveled in the 4th. Things get tight and their offense devolves into lazy three point shots in transition, no extra passing, just the same guy who brought the ball up heaves up a 3. On defense they are pathetic, they don't help each other at all.

The roster is a disaster but I suspect Vogel will get the axe soon.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard