2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers totally unraveled in the 4th. Things get tight and their offense devolves into lazy three point shots in transition, no extra passing, just the same guy who brought the ball up heaves up a 3. On defense they are pathetic, they don't help each other at all.

The roster is a disaster but I suspect Vogel will get the axe soon.

Amazing and hilarious. It was another one of those “I think the Lakers really turned it around against Utah and is now set to go on a run!” days on the radio today.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And for those that don't think Lebron cares about his stats. In tonight's loss Indiana had the ball and an 11 point lead and they opted to hold the ball and not shoot even though there'd still be 8 seconds left in the game after their shot clock expired. So, after the turnover and with no defense at all, Lebron goes in for an easy layup instead of holding the ball.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Simmons is a unique talent. If he ever gets his head right about shooting he will be a monster. Btw. Philly had two shooting head cases in Simmons and Fultz . Maybe there is a coach that is using some weird techniques?

I would play Simmons as a pf. Kind of a pf version of Jokic.
He’s unique alright.

A selfish ***** that refuses to work on his game, and is a huge liability on offense, yet is still somehow thought of as a star.

you could not trade him to me for a second rounder if I was a GM. He is a cancer.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s unique alright.

A selfish ***** that refuses to work on his game, and is a huge liability on offense, yet is still somehow thought of as a star.

you could not trade him to me for a second rounder if I was a GM. He is a cancer.
In my defense I said "talent." And then acknowledged his head issues.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is true Morey and the kings GM are idiots.
Why? From Kings side they get rid of a bunch of mediocre players plus a slightly better than average point guard from a bad team and replace them with a superstar (that had a superstar meltdown in the playoffs), a great defender that's better than anyone on the Kings and an overpaid veteran that's also better than anyone on the Kings.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ benched down the stretch. Vogel getting the noose soon.

It's the GM that assembled this group of players that needs to go, especially the addition of Westbrook.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s unique alright.

Simmons is a great defender and a great playmaker and a horrible offensive player. Weaknesses and all, he's probably worth more than the whole Sacramento team put together and sure, he'll likely kill you in the postseason but the Kings would likely kill just to have that chance.

I think, if you're a team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in 15 years, trading for Simmons makes a lot of sense. If you're a team like Philly, getting any kind of value for him makes a lot of sense but AFAIC their incoming package, minus the draft picks, is an easy net negative.

If I were Morey, I'd just pay Simmons salary until someone offers me something that actually improves my team. The slight upgrade over Maxey to Halliburton just isn't worth putting up with Barnes or Hield. Maybe I consider it if Thybulle isn't attached but it's already a Kings heavy deal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? From Kings side they get rid of a bunch of mediocre players plus a slightly better than average point guard from a bad team and replace them with a superstar (that had a superstar meltdown in the playoffs), a great defender that's better than anyone on the Kings and an overpaid veteran that's also better than anyone on the Kings.

If I were the Kings I wouldn't want Ben Simmons from the 76ers. They don't have any problems a GM couldn't fix.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were the Kings I wouldn't want Ben Simmons from the 76ers. They don't have any problems a GM couldn't fix.
You can say that about any team but swapping those players puts the Kings in the playoffs soon, probably even this year if they made that deal right away. For a franchise that hasn't even played .500 ball in a decade and a half, that's a much easier fix than firing and replacing yet another executive.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 76ers are acknowledging this guy is a headcase and they can't move on with him by putting him on the block. There is zero reason for other teams at this point to be motivated to give the 76ers what they want. This isn't a matter of "worth". This is a matter of "best offer" and the 76ers realizing the entire league knows it because every single team will be responding with the fact, they are taking a huge risk if he doesn't change.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can say that about any team but swapping those players puts the Kings in the playoffs soon, probably even this year if they made that deal right away. For a franchise that hasn't even played .500 ball in a decade and a half, that's a much easier fix than firing and replacing yet another executive.

Simmons contract alone would be an anchor around the Kings neck for years to come. Like the Suns of a few years ago, their problem starts with the GM. If a team is in a hole, they shouldn't keep digging.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 76ers are acknowledging this guy is a headcase and they can't move on with him by putting him on the block. There is zero reason for other teams at this point to be motivated to give the 76ers what they want. This isn't a matter of "worth". This is a matter of "best offer" and the 76ers realizing the entire league knows it because every single team will be responding with the fact, they are taking a huge risk if he doesn't change.

The 76ers and Simmons deserve each other. I wouldn't care except I get tired of hearing about it in the media.

If they continue to hold Simmons, his value in a trade will eventually decline.

Eventually they can trade him for John Wall. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simmons contract alone would be an anchor around the Kings neck for years to come. Like the Suns of a few years ago, their problem starts with the GM. If a team is in a hole, they shouldn't keep digging.
Ben's inability/unwillingness to shoot, his questionable work ethic plus his super max deal would put a ceiling on what they could do but like I said, just getting to the playoffs would be huge for them. And if they could steal Thybulle in that deal, Vlade should be up for GM of the year. It might get him fired a couple years down the road but it's all about today, tomorrow is a long way away.

The only way I make that deal if I'm Morey is if they give me all 4 draft picks (unprotected) plus 3 swaps.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lonzo Ball reportedly has a small meniscus tear in left knee but he may try to play through it. If not he might need a minor procedure to resolve it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ben's inability/unwillingness to shoot, his questionable work ethic plus his super max deal would put a ceiling on what they could do but like I said, just getting to the playoffs would be huge for them. And if they could steal Thybulle in that deal, Vlade should be up for GM of the year. It might get him fired a couple years down the road but it's all about today, tomorrow is a long way away.

The only way I make that deal if I'm Morey is if they give me all 4 draft picks (unprotected) plus 3 swaps.

No way would I give the 76ers all those assets. Morey would win that trade big time. He would be the GM of the year.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way would I give the 76ers all those assets. Morey would win that trade big time. He would be the GM of the year.
Honestly I don't know if I would either, I was just talking value. IMO that trade makes the Kings a one-and-done playoff team for the next few years which devalues the draft picks/swaps. But no way would I want to deal with the top NBA diva of this generation.

But if I'm Morey, without a bunch of picks and pick swaps, I'd just put up with the wasted salary for a few more years rather than accept a bunch of mediocre players from a team that doesn't know what .500 ball looks like. Again, the sticking point should be Thybulle - take him out of the deal and it's pretty close to fair value (slightly in Kings favor IMO).

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’m surprised Fox hasn’t elevated that team yet. A lot of ppl compare him to pre-CP3 Book but the Kings have more talent around Fox right now than Booker had 2+ years ago. Maybe he needs a change of scenery.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m surprised Fox hasn’t elevated that team yet. A lot of ppl compare him to pre-CP3 Book but the Kings have more talent around Fox right now than Booker had 2+ years ago. Maybe he needs a change of scenery.
We had a losing culture until a couple years ago, the Kings culture has been even worse and for much longer.

But I never heard the CP3 comparison before and it surprises me that it was ever made. Fox has always been able to get his own but Paul's turnover to assist ratio is a big part of what makes him so special - Fox is at the other end of the spectrum in that regard.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The chemistry is not right with the Kings. They need a James Jones type GM to come in and make changes.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A decision is expected soon if Lonzo Ball decides to get arthroscopic surgery.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You cannot win with players that cannot shoot even a 15 foot jumper.

They are exposed in the playoffs and are a liability. Combine that with his horrible attitude, and Morey should be begging anyone offering any value to take that horrible contract off his hands.

If you value culture at all - and you should if you want to win - you can't have Simmons on your team until his attitude has changed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard