2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except that any success he has lessens the likelihood they'll be able to re-sign him.

Did we decide this limitation only applies to the Pacers or every team?

I can see the Pacers wanting to build a young core around Haliburton and Stix should be a good fit.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did we decide this limitation only applies to the Pacers or every team?

I can see the Pacers wanting to build a young core around Haliburton and Stix should be a good fit.
At this point, it's just the Pacers. I don't believe it applies to us anymore but that's because I'm pretty sure we're not permitted to sign him as a free agent for awhile.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point, it's just the Pacers. I don't believe it applies to us anymore but that's because I'm pretty sure we're not permitted to sign him as a free agent for awhile.

There was something about the Suns not being able to sign Stix the same season if he were waived but I'm not sure if it carries over to a new season. Anyway I would think he would be looking at the Pacers or a new home besides Phoenix.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Ah right. I forgot does the limitation that the suns faced travel with him in the trade?
No. It applies only to the team that declined the option. He will be a UFA this summer, and anyone except the Suns can sign him to whatever contract they can afford.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. It applies only to the team that declined the option. He will be a UFA this summer, and anyone except the Suns can sign him to whatever contract they can afford.

The Pacers would have to like what they see.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It applies to whatever team holds that declined contract which now means the Pacers.

The move, taken prior to the season, means Smith is an unrestricted free agent this offseason, and freeing up his $4.7 million under the salary cap.

But it also means the team holding his contract -- now the Pacers -- can only re-sign him for the figure of the original option.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the conversation about Jalen Smith and Tyrese Haliburton will linger for years to come.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Klay been balling. Warriors get the 3-seed.

Yeah he started off jacking 3's and I thought what is he doing, but I guess he felt he was hot because 41 points later he was hot.

The last 2 games Poole's 3 pointer has been off a bit but otherwise the key guys seem to be either getting healthy or playing well at the right time.

If I hadn't watched him in HS and at UCLA I would not believe Looney just turned 26 a month plus ago, he is the oldest 26 year old in the NBA by a mile. Pretty amazing he played all 82 games, the hip and knee problems he's had have just taken away all his athleticism he gets by on sheer smarts and toughness now. I remember at the time there were people saying he should stay at UCLA But we all knew he'd already had a knee issue and he was gone, that was before the hip problems were public. He has carved out a very nice role for himself but when you watch him play it's hard not to think he just looks like he's in pain everytime he runs.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are no longer limited. That restriction is up July 1. We can sign him for more than the Pacers can if we can find an exception or cap space to do so.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are no longer limited. That restriction is up July 1. We can sign him for more than the Pacers can if we can find an exception or cap space to do so.
I was thinking it was a couple months into the season (like it is with some of the other FA restrictions) but I wasn't sure. Anyway, it's moot given that he will attract suitors and we will be cap strapped.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was thinking it was a couple months into the season (like it is with some of the other FA restrictions) but I wasn't sure. Anyway, it's moot given that he will attract suitors and we will be cap strapped.
This is true. If we have to sign him like any other free agent, there are probably other players that make more sense. Which makes all of the hand wringing about him maybe a little overblown.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any thoughts here about the Luka injury? He will play but Dallas is now done I think. Might not win another game.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts here about the Luka injury? He will play but Dallas is now done I think. Might not win another game.
They said it was a left calf strain last I heard. Playoffs still 4 days away. If he has to miss a game or two putting them in the hole? Yeah...done.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is true. If we have to sign him like any other free agent, there are probably other players that make more sense. Which makes all of the hand wringing about him maybe a little overblown.
Yeah, the simple truth is we made a mistake. There were reasons for it and to many they seemed legitimate at the time but it was a mistake nonetheless. But it pales in comparison to all the MANY personnel debacles of the decade prior that never got this kind of attention - and it really should be dead and buried by all the great things this front office has done since JJ gained power.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see the future already… we’ll beat Utah in the second round and the media will start moaning about the Suns getting lucky again with injuries because Doncic was out.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see the future already… we’ll beat Utah in the second round and the media will start moaning about the Suns getting lucky again with injuries because Doncic was out.
Man...sooooo tired of this argument. Opposing fans have especially talked about how "lucky" the Suns have been the past two seasons while having blinders about our injuries.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't expect the Mavericks to give out any information they don't want too.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the irony -- of us entering the 2022 playoffs with Kawhi Leonard still out when during our 2021 series the Clips were saying he was "day to day"

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your probably right.

But Utah is clearly a better team than Dallas so that is a pretty stupid argument, although they are mentally screwed up right now so I wouldn't put it past them to lose to Dallas at full strength.

The Media's love of Superstars is kind of nauseating - especially for Suns fans because we get to watch true team basketball all year long.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i believe the Clips and Warriors will be the biggest threat in the West,
so i'm not sure who to root for tonight

i'd rather the Clips lose, but if they do, they play the next game for the right to be in our bracket
and the Timberwolves have that psycho-devil Pat Beverly which would put Paul at a real risk (swatting at Paul's hands which would only get him a foul call)