2021 1st round pick is Zaven Collins

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that based on your hopes, or do you have facts in hand?

Here's the link I got the number from. Jason shows an increase in the base cap number increasing from $254 million to $256 million from 2023 to 2024. He also shows that it includes carryover.

Just trying to stomp out a false narrative that we'll somehow have a ton of cap space next season.

I don't think he has included the Carryover for future years. 205M is the total spending for 2024 including dead money.

256-205M = 51M

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Zaven was a mediocre LB from what I saw. Not sure he ever had to take on a block from an NFL caliber player in the American Athletic Conference but his athletic drafts made him a first rd talent. Maybe he can hack it at on the edge here and there.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'd rather sign a top tier pass rusher with that dough.

Those don’t usually exist in FA… unless we are letting one walk.

Scheduled second-contract free agents include Chase Young (WAS), Nick Bosa (SF -- Yeah, right), Josh Allen (JAX), and Brian Burns (CAR). Not sure if any of those guys make it to market. Young probably if you want to take the risk.

The funny thing is that we've invested so much draft capital at EDGE the past two seasons it's really hard to imagine putting more money into the position next year. Sanders, BJO, Collins (maybe), and Cameron Thomas. Even Dennis Gardeck will still be under contract. You'd probably like a couple of those guys to prove themselves useless before investing a nine-figure guarantee on someone you don't know if they'll work in your system.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That's over $24 million. Cards only have $45 million in effective cap space for 2024 (yes, that includes potential rollovers -- I think). Really difficult to believe that the Cards will go through a 3-14 season and then lock up half our cap space on a wideout. That's so #birdcity.
I get it, but they don't have much of a choice unless they go QB but even then, you don't want to leave the cupboard bare for a rookie QB.

I just don't see a world where you let Brown walk and head into the draft with Rondale Moore, Greg Dortch, Pascal and Wilson as your WR core. He will inarguably be the best WR in FA under 30. The only one who will be close is Tee Higgins but Cincy will extend him. After last season, this garbage off-season, and a potentially awful 2023 season, it is tough to see letting Brown walk for nothing as a viable option.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I get it, but they don't have much of a choice unless they go QB but even then, you don't want to leave the cupboard bare for a rookie QB.

I just don't see a world where you let Brown walk and head into the draft with Rondale Moore, Greg Dortch, Pascal and Wilson as your WR core. He will inarguably be the best WR in FA under 30. The only one who will be close is Tee Higgins but Cincy will extend him. After last season, this garbage off-season, and a potentially awful 2023 season, it is tough to see letting Brown walk for nothing as a viable option.
I agree, but when has that stopped Monti Ossenfort?

I think that Hollywood puts up ungodly stats in the first eight games and we extend him to a deal that gives him high guarantees in 2023-2025 and we can get out from after.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
a 4-3 OLB doesnt necessarily rush the passer as their primary job

as an example, SF runs a 4-3, and their OLBs are Dre Greenlaw and Oren Burks. They might blitz, but arent dedicated pass rushers

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why not both?

If you sign Hollywood you have Harrison, Wilson, and Brown as an extremely cheap top trio for up to three years.
Not a bad suggestion. With a strong offensive line being built, Kyler and the Cards could have a very good offense.

Last edited:

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With the draft capital and expected cap space for 2024 make the DL dominant. Goal is to have a stout run and pass rush with front four.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
a 4-3 OLB doesnt necessarily rush the passer as their primary job

as an example, SF runs a 4-3, and their OLBs are Dre Greenlaw and Oren Burks. They might blitz, but arent dedicated pass rushers
Yeah, people would complain about seeing Chandler Jones drop into coverage at times but its part of the OLB responsibilities.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Now we are seeing why Simmons slid in the draft….

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just trying to stomp out a false narrative that we'll somehow have a ton of cap space next season.

We have $51m in projected cap space next year before roll over.

We have $26m this year unused currently. At least $20m of that is likely to rollover.

That's $71m in 2024 cap space before any obvious roster moves.

Depending how these players perform in 2023 Ertz and Conner can add $12m if cut. Gardeck another $3m. Prater $3.5m. Kyzir White $4m.

Budda is going to either be traded or extended, liking changing his 2024 cap hit.

Likely we go into next year with at least $80m.

Sadly, I don't think the 2024 FA group is all that good. Especially where we need guys. CB group sucks. WR is weak. Edge is ok but I expect the better ones will be resigned. DT group is solid rather than spectacular but overall I don't see any stars.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm talking about Simmons. Yeah, if Brown walks he'll enter into the comp pick conversation (likely as a third), but it'll (hopefully) be offset by big offseason moves as we try to compete.

I expect Brown to be re-signed. EDIT: Don't know where you got the idea this was a conversation about Hollywood Brown.

OK, well Simmons also would garner a compensatory pick. Declining the 5th year option does not count towards the formula. OTC predicted the Cardinals getting a 5th for Reddick but it was cancelled out by a FA signing. Bears got a 7th for Trubisky. 49ers got a 6th for Solomon Thomas. There are far more examples of these to find.

In 2020 the league changed the rules so that players that have a team option declined no longer count towards comp picks, but 1st round picks with 5th year options were excluded.

Not that it matters because we are likely to be very active in FA, and currently Simmons sucks and is unlikely to get more than a bag of chips in FA. If good LB's like TJ Edwards that just played in the Superbowl are getting $6m a year Simmons might have to pay someone to play.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
We have $51m in projected cap space next year before roll over.

We have $26m this year unused currently. At least $20m of that is likely to rollover.

That's $71m in 2024 cap space before any obvious roster moves.

Depending how these players perform in 2023 Ertz and Conner can add $12m if cut. Gardeck another $3m. Prater $3.5m. Kyzir White $4m.

Budda is going to either be traded or extended, liking changing his 2024 cap hit.

Likely we go into next year with at least $80m.

Sadly, I don't think the 2024 FA group is all that good. Especially where we need guys. CB group sucks. WR is weak. Edge is ok but I expect the better ones will be resigned. DT group is solid rather than spectacular but overall I don't see any stars.
Ugh. That makes Monti's decision to punt on 2023 FA even worse. A lot of folks have been banking on next year's FA gets; this sounds bleak.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ugh. That makes Monti's decision to punt on 2023 FA even worse. A lot of folks have been banking on next year's FA gets; this sounds bleak.
It's also worth remembering that even if all Brit's predictions come true and no other teams roll over cap or make adjustments by releasing players, $80 million would only be the fifth-most salary cap space in 2024 (according to OTC right now).

We'd also only have 40 players under contract.

For comparison, the Titans are scheduled to have $93 million in cap space before rollovers with 67 players under contract heading into 2024. Some of that will change, but man.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's also worth remembering that even if all Brit's predictions come true and no other teams roll over cap or make adjustments by releasing players, $80 million would only be the fifth-most salary cap space in 2024 (according to OTC right now).

For comparison, the Titans are scheduled to have $93 million in cap space before rollovers with 67 players under contract heading into 2024. Some of that will change, but man.
Oh, everybody and their mother on this board knows we'll be in bad shape in 2024 as well as 2023. We're not ripping it down to the studs; we set the home on fire. Some just don't want to admit it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
OK, well Simmons also would garner a compensatory pick. Declining the 5th year option does not count towards the formula. OTC predicted the Cardinals getting a 5th for Reddick but it was cancelled out by a FA signing. Bears got a 7th for Trubisky. 49ers got a 6th for Solomon Thomas. There are far more examples of these to find.

In 2020 the league changed the rules so that players that have a team option declined no longer count towards comp picks, but 1st round picks with 5th year options were excluded.

Not that it matters because we are likely to be very active in FA, and currently Simmons sucks and is unlikely to get more than a bag of chips in FA. If good LB's like TJ Edwards that just played in the Superbowl are getting $6m a year Simmons might have to pay someone to play.
This is true. Eagles were awarded a comp pick for Andre Dillard and the Raiders losing Clelin Ferrell was part of their comp pick formula. Well done Brit.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Many on this board would do well to curb FA expectations next year because of this, and because of the talent level of the FA class as Brit alluded to. I do expect the Cardinals to pursue a couple FAs but I believe it would be foolish to assume they will be able to add multiple, high level starters next year. I also won't be shocked if Conner sticks as the starting RB in 2024.

Like it or not, Monti is counting on multiple players from this draft class making an impact this year. Cardinals only have on meaningful FA in 2024. I have to imagine after 2023, Gannon and Monti will sit down and figure out what young players they want to extend.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose