2020 new consoles

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BigRedRage, Nov 13, 2020.

1. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

2. BigRedRage

its really slow today at work and my actual modem is in my bedroom/office so I plugged it into my xbox one x just to see and holy crap it is so much more consistent and fast. There is no way for me to hardwire my other xboxes without my walls showing my nerd-om unfortunately.

3. Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare Registered

Just run ethernet cables along the floorboards. Just have to be careful walking at the places it crosses. ;)

What are you using for a wifi router and how far is it to the xboxes from where it's located?

4. BigRedRage

yeah, there is no way to run cords really. it would cross floors and etc. one xbox is downstairs under me and I could technically try to learn to drop it through the floor inside the wall but that seems excessive. The other xbox is across the entire house and downstairs as well.

My wifi is actually pretty solid, just nothing can compare to an ethernet cord. I currently run a Linksys wrt3200 acm and have been very happy with it. it lets me prioritize the xboxes and more. It was a huge jump forward from my last router and significantly improved lag in rocket league where it was most noticeable.

5. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

I ran shielded cat6 from my router in the office through my A/C ducts (straight shot) into the room next door to the living room and then drilled one hole and the cable goes along the wall to my switch at my entertainment center. DirecTV, xbone, ps, receiver and blu-ray player are all hardwired. Wifi is split into 2.4GHz for phones, guest network and 5GHz for iPad, laptops and bedroom DirecTV box (for watching recordings in either room). Everything runs very smoothly.

6. BigRedRage

Sounds pretty slick! I like the use of A/C ductwork.

I'd suggest looking into youtube TV. It's a lot less expensive and you would only need to hardwire into the smart tv or xbox instead of also into direct tv boxes.

My living rooms both have an xbox that doubles as a blue ray player and app playing device so I don't think I would ever have to hardwire anything but an xbox.

Your receiver is hardwired? Receivers use the internet now? Get off my lawn!

currently I game on the 5ghz and my son games on the 2.4 ghz band and we seem to get no interference and play games 99% lag free.

7. Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare Registered

I did the AC ductwork at my old house too. Needed to run a line just between two rooms and the vent was on the wall that I needed it in each room so ran the line and then just let it hang down the wall. Worked great and it was in rooms that I was the only one ever in.

Most AVRs have ethernet and wifi built in. They have for awhile now. One I bought back in 2010 even had it. ;) For the internet needs it has a bunch of services for streaming music built in and it also does firmware upgrades over it. For your home network it then has stuff like a remote app and an app for running Audyssey and managing its profiles.

8. BigRedRage

yeah. The last receiver I owned was from the nineties and still used raw wire to plug in speakers vs the rga type cables that speakers use now. I still have two 12" tower speakers in one of my living rooms and 4 tower speakers in the garage. I should probably have a yard sale.

9. puckhead

Exactly. I have a second zone in my master bath and I can turn on the receiver, start Sirius from my phone and jump from bed to the shower without having to go into the living room.

All of the associated apps have made initial setup so much easier than it used to be. I hated having to park in front of the receiver and go through all of those menus on a tiny lcd screen and program everything.

10. puckhead

Audio physics haven't changed, so if they're good quality speakers, they may have some value to people that still appreciate good sound over the convenience and form factor of modern 'space-saver' speakers.

11. Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare Registered

What are the speakers? Depending on wha they are I might be interested. I have a couple different needs that I've been looking to buy for.

Puck, you're not fooling us. We know it's for when you're on the can. :D

My biggest one is the Audyssey app that was released for the Denon receivers. It made a difference for my home theater since you can store multiple configs in it and it gives you control over stuff like the curve that you can't do without it.

12. puckhead

Would you rather hear Sirius or ???? :eek:

13. BigRedRage

I'll try to remember to check tonight. I have two in the living room and 4 in the garage.

14. puckhead

Are they heavy?

15. BigRedRage

Define heavy? I don't think they are heavy :shrug: