2020 Draft

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Jan 25, 2020.

1. GatorAZ

GatorAZ feed hopkins

He moves better than Cam but he’s not a threat on defense and doesn’t really move the ball. His shooting numbers sample could be a fluke as well. I just can’t see him as a lotto talent.

2. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

I see him (or at least saw him, until you brought up Cam) as a lotto talent a heck of a lot more so than Bane and Riller.

3. offset

offset i have a special purpose

I am not a fan of Nesmith’s overall game, but the guy can put the ball in the hoop probably better than anyone else in the draft. With the #10 pick I would like to see us aim higher than a one trick pony though. I wouldn’t hate the pick if we traded back though since I think we need some scoring off the bench.

4. GatorAZ

GatorAZ feed hopkins

This was true for 14 games against terrible competition. Given that sample size I doubt he’s in Jones’ sight.

5. offset

It is a shame he got hurt right when they were getting into the meat of their schedule.

6. GatorAZ

GatorAZ feed hopkins

He’ll be a wreck on defense but he’s a kiss-the-rim type athlete:

7. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I think I’m coming around to Kira Lewis. He has his faults but we really don’t have many players that can break down a defense due to sheer speed/quickness. It opens things up for others.

Mainstreet and AzStevenCal like this.
  8. Raze

Raze Suns fan since '89

I would say he "could" be a wreck on defense. I think it all depends on his heart and where he goes.

I certainly think he has the God given talent to be elite on D. His athletisicm is off the charts for his size. Defense always seems to come down to heart though. If he puts in the time he could be a force on both ends of the court.

If he gets drafted by the Warriors, I have a strong suspicion that Klay, Draymond, Steph, and Kerr are going to be in his ear DAY 1 about his D. Something tells me he's going to listen to those guys and he'll show strong progression his rookie year. However, if he goes to say, Atlanta, he'll be a highlight reel on O and an absolute joke on D (which no one will really care to notice).

I think the case could be strongly made that if he goes to Phoenix he could also make tremendous strides on D. Monty has shown a deft talent for preaching D to his team and getting them to become believers. Ayton, Oubre, Frank, and even guys like Okobo had great stretches this year of going all in on D. But going a step further, what Booker did was unprecedented. He was easily one of the worst defenders in the league before Monty, but now he's actually good, maybe even great at it. (I honestly never thought that was possible). So there's no reason to believe that Obi would stay a terrible defender if he comes here.

IF he becomes a great defender, he WILL be the best player in this draft.

I'm pretty sure JJ and Monty's unofficial montra is "You can teach a shooter how to defend, but you can't teach a defender how to shoot." They keep proving themselves right with each of their players.

Mainstreet and Hoop Head like this.
  9. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

Only if the shooter has the physical tools needed to be able to defend. Toppin certainly does, though. Too bad there is no way he will be available for us...

10. GatorAZ

GatorAZ feed hopkins

He’s got Amare-itis where his feet don’t connect to his brain on defense. Ben Simmons was that way at LSU and ended up being an elite defender in the NBA. It’s up to the Suns doing there psychological exams if he’s willing to commit.

Pda4976 likes this.
  11. hcsilla

hcsilla Registered User

I agree. Toppin is a quite obvious move-up target for the Suns.

His length, athleticism, agility, shooting touch and range make him an excellent fit as a PF or even as small-ball C. He seems far from helpless defensively especially under Monty.

Mainstreet likes this.
  12. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Tyler Bey sets combine record for forwards with 43.5" max vertical leap. He also has a wingspan of 7'1.25" inches.

This should help raise his value in the draft.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...ecord-For-Forwards-With-435-Inch-Max-Vertical

13. Mainstreet

I found this also on Tyler Bey.

14. offset

I can’t imagine he was on our board for #10, but just in case, hopefully this removes any and all chances.

Mainstreet likes this.
  15. Mainstreet

I hope someone on twitter passes this along to Kellan Olson.

Raze likes this.