2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The difference between Usa and rest of the world is getting thinner
They are still lot better but actually they can't play anymore like its a friendly match, they must put more intensity to win games, no win is granted if they don't put full effort and playing as a team

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are still better but actually they can't play anymore like its a friendly match, they must put more intensity to win games, no win is granted if they don't put full effort and playing as a team

And they actually have to play together and practice as a team.

Maybe it's time to send players who can devote more time to the team even if less talented.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are still better but actually they can't play anymore like its a friendly match, they must put more intensity to win games, no win is granted if they don't put full effort and playing as a team

It's a combination of factors. Different rules, less roster continuity/familiarity are the big reasons in addition to the ever narrowing talent gap.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Of course I'm joking.
The way the roster is constructed is the problem?
Maybe it's the coach and the roster that's the problem?:shrug:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prior to the Olympics, in exhibition games, Team USA lost to Nigeria and Australia. They beat Argentina and Spain.

So they were 2-2 coming into the Olympics.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Team USA shouldn't be counting their apples the way they are playing.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are all sorts of issues with the Team USA but I think the biggest one is that it's no longer that big of a deal to NBA players to play in the Olympics IMO. That's why Holiday flying out there was such a big deal he just won an NBA title and sacrificed his own time to go over there. Apparently the primary reason he did is his wife Lauren is a former US soccer player whose career ended due to brain cancer. She had temporarily retired to have a child then got cancer and made it permanent. She has 2 gold medals, Jrue said it was important to him that he tried to get one since she was retired.

Most of the guys there just don't have that level of interest driving them. There are some great players on the team but it's nowhere near the best roster we have because most of the elite players just didn't want to take the risk of injury. And I'm not criticizing them the risk of getting hurt is huge.

It's just not as easy as it used to be to assemble a team of stars, get them on the same page and go out and win.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are all sorts of issues with the Team USA but I think the biggest one is that it's no longer that big of a deal to NBA players to play in the Olympics IMO. That's why Holiday flying out there was such a big deal he just won an NBA title and sacrificed his own time to go over there. Apparently the primary reason he did is his wife Lauren is a former US soccer player whose career ended due to brain cancer. She had temporarily retired to have a child then got cancer and made it permanent. She has 2 gold medals, Jrue said it was important to him that he tried to get one since she was retired.

Most of the guys there just don't have that level of interest driving them. There are some great players on the team but it's nowhere near the best roster we have because most of the elite players just didn't want to take the risk of injury. And I'm not criticizing them the risk of getting hurt is huge.

It's just not as easy as it used to be to assemble a team of stars, get them on the same page and go out and win.

Khris Middleton and Devin Booker flew over to Japan right after the Finals as well.

Olympic players need to spend more time playing and practicing together to be the most effective.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or maybe the refs can’t influence the games like in the nba?
Joking…

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes, read their story, definitely two great human being, having people who doesn't put money and fame first its always a great asset for a team

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have to remember these guys are going with very little rest since the season went so long due to the late start, Durant, Tatum, Book, Middleton and Holiday just finished playing in the playoffs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Team USA shot 36.2% from the field versus 46.8% from France.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You have to remember these guys are going with very little rest since the season went so long due to the late start, Durant, Tatum, Book, Middleton and Holiday just finished playing in the playoffs.
Yeah but so did anyone of really consequence playing for the opposition:

gobert
The French kid from clips
The French kid from celtics
Precious
Luka
Etc.

…all played in playoffs too.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Khris Middleton and Devin Booker flew over to Japan right after the Finals as well.

Olympic players need to spend more time playing and practicing together to be the most effective.

Yeah I'm not aware of their reasons I only know why it was important to Holiday.

It's just not as big a deal to NBA players as it was after the Dream Team did it

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not aware of their reasons I only know why it was important to Holiday.

It's just not as big a deal to NBA players as it was after the Dream Team did it

I think Jerry Colangelo tried to get only the players that wanted to be on Team USA but the NBA season is so long, not that is an excuse for many of the players. Personally I think it's the lack of practice and playing time for the players to form an adhesive unit that hinders them. I do think the longer Team USA plays together the more they will improve.

Also I think the desire and motivation for U.S. players to represent their country in basketball is not the same as in many other foreign countries where it is seen as more important. Looking at it from the outside as a fan, it almost seems like it's a duty rather than a source of pride. I am not really into the Olympics but I hope that changes. IMO, the Olympics should have been postponed for another year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we need a real team. I remember that being Colangelo's initial plan but it never really panned out. Compromise a team with a variety of role players like 3&D wings, sharp shooters, defensive big, and then stars. I vaguely recall a plan of 20 players needing to make 4 year commitments so they could accommodate schedules and injuries. Those 20 would play every summer though and when the Olympics came around the top 12 guys would go based on the previous 3 years.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we need a real team. I remember that being Colangelo's initial plan but it never really panned out. Compromise a team with a variety of role players like 3&D wings, sharp shooters, defensive big, and then stars. I vaguely recall a plan of 20 players needing to make 4 year commitments so they could accommodate schedules and injuries. Those 20 would play every summer though and when the Olympics came around the top 12 guys would go based on the previous 3 years.

and that’s super unrealistic to expect those guys to pretty much never have an offseason

if I’m an owner and we make a deep playoff run last thing I want is my star playing in the olympics or world championships.

I think a lot of players look at it different since Paul George busted his leg

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best way to do it is to expand the NBA by one team, The National Team. Treat it just like another team, shared revenue, drafting, trading and everything. It can play year around in exhibitions and international competition in addition to preseason match-ups with NBA clubs. It can even participate in the mid-season tournament that Silver keeps pushing for.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best way to do it is to expand the NBA by one team, The National Team. Treat it just like another team, shared revenue, drafting, trading and everything. It can play year around in exhibitions and international competition in addition to preseason match-ups with NBA clubs. It can even participate in the mid-season tournament that Silver keeps pushing for.

The expansion teams, when it happens, are going to Seattle and Las Vegas.

Maybe they can assign Olympic duty to an NBA team and rotate it every four years. I'm not sure how they would pick the team. They would probably have to give the team a perk.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The expansion teams, when it happens, are going to Seattle and Las Vegas.

Maybe they can assign Olympic duty to an NBA team and rotate it every four years. I'm not sure how they would pick the team. They would probably have to give the team a perk.

Offer an extra draft pick between the lottery and rest of the 1st round? Just an idea.

I think they could also use the teams that fail to get in the playoffs through the play-in games in a short tournament. Of course the issue then is what if its a team with a large international presence? A team like Dallas could never represent the NBA/USA because they'd be awful without Luka, not to mention everyone else.

I think they'd need to combine 2 teams. That would help cover for international talent that wouldn't play for the US

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave