2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Now that this season is over. Odds for winning next year's title have been released:

Tied for fifth. That’s some unexpected respect. I suspect we drop quite a bit from those opening odds.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that this season is over. Odds for winning next year's title have been released:

Teams will be healthier and some of those Super teams you can't count on being hurt again. This might have been our best opportunity but we have to have some faith in James Jones. He has done great and I doubt we stand pat. Compared to where this franchise was 2 years ago? Amazing.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams will be healthier and some of those Super teams you can't count on being hurt again. This might have been our best opportunity but we have to have some faith in James Jones. He has done great and I doubt we stand pat. Compared to where this franchise was 2 years ago? Amazing.
Giannis and Khris Middleton were on a team that won only 15 games just 7 seasons ago. That was the Bucks' worst record in franchise history. Things can definitely change quickly.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giannis and Khris Middleton were on a team that won only 15 games just 7 seasons ago. That was the Bucks' worst record in franchise history. Things can definitely change quickly.

The Suns only won 19 games two seasons ago.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

i kind of disagree I mean I think I can count on Kawhi not being healthy the guy has had what 1 healthy season the last 5 ? Now with this ACL thing.

I think it’s 100% possible AD is out again. He’s another guy with a long track record of being hurt.

I think it’s safe to say Klay might not be there again. What is this 3 years he hasn’t been healthy.

same with the Nets

guys who have history of getting hurt usually don’t get healthier the older they get.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i kind of disagree I mean I think I can count on Kawhi not being healthy the guy has had what 1 healthy season the last 5 ? Now with this ACL thing.

I think it’s 100% possible AD is out again. He’s another guy with a long track record of being hurt.

I think it’s safe to say Klay might not be there again. What is this 3 years he hasn’t been healthy.

same with the Nets

guys who have history of getting hurt usually don’t get healthier the older they get.

same with Murray on Denver. him and Kawhi had VERY late season ACL injuries. Guys aren’t usually who they were until at least a full year later. Now throw in the fact that those late season injuries happened DURING a later season this year and a regular starting time for next season, and those guys will be even further behind the 8 ball next season.

i think if we bring everyone back, our biggest roadblock is the Lakers. I expect a summer off and AD getting in better shape gives them one more big run to win a title next year. We need to be able to match their size if they’re healthy come postseason.

that said, NONE of this matters if we don’t have CP3, who a lot of people here don’t want to pay.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

same with the Nets

That is a bunch of guys you are depending on to be injured. Good luck with that. I am sure people are thinking CP3 won't make it through the regular season and playoff injury free either. Especially a year older.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a bunch of guys you are depending on to be injured. Good luck with that.

its actually a bunch of guys that just got injured. with injuries that usually take out players for a full year. Injuries that happened late in a season that started late with next season starting on time. Murray and Leonard might not even see the floor in the regular season next year and if they do, they likely won’t be the same players they were previous to injury until the following season.

The Lakers and The Nets have a better shot of being healthy though. I’ll agree with that. Although Kyrie has been super injury prone, missing major time in the playoffs in 4 of his last 7 seasons. Harden not so Much. He came into this season way out of shape and never got back in. I’m guessing he shows up looking like he did for the rest of his career next year, which will cut down on chances of hammy issues.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is a bunch of guys you are depending on to be injured. Good luck with that. I am sure people are thinking CP3 won't make it through the regular season and playoff injury free either. Especially a year older.

im not depending on them to be hurt I’m just saying those guys have long track records of being hurt.

if you are a betting man would you put money on Kawhi, Klay or AD making it all the way through a season healthy these days? I wouldn’t.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The west doesn’t scare me. Utah’s core is getting up there in age and like others mentioned Kawhi and Klay won’t be their old selves. The Lakers will upgrade their squad and be favorites but you never know when Lebron will significantly decline. The Nuggets and Mavs are flawed rosters.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not depending on them to be hurt I’m just saying those guys have long track records of being hurt.

if you are a betting man would you put money on Kawhi, Klay or AD making it all the way through a season healthy these days? I wouldn’t.
If I am a betting man I wouldn't put money on CP3 being healthy through a playoff run either.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and even if he is healthy his playoff record is not good flat out not good can’t even say different.

That's true but without him the chances of the Suns getting back to the playoffs drops dramatically. There aren't any upgrades available and the best PG free agent is 35 year old Kyle Lowry. I'd rather pay Paul. The best PG FA on the other side of 30 is probably Denis Schroeder and he's not the answer either.

If we make a big move, I'd look to OKC and see how many picks they'd take for Shai. I'd rather not give up on CP3 but if we could swing a sign and trade that brought in a couple of picks and OKC would accept those in a deal then I'd send those to OKC for SGA.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and even if he is healthy his playoff record is not good flat out not good can’t even say different.

so, what’s your solution? What/who do you want to see us sign this off-season?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His series win/loss isn't good and his history with blown series leads is concerning but he's still above .500 in playoff games so it's not all bad. But injuries to him or to key teammates has been the problem, along with him dragging mediocre teams to the playoffs that really had no business being there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The west doesn’t scare me. Utah’s core is getting up there in age and like others mentioned Kawhi and Klay won’t be their old selves. The Lakers will upgrade their squad and be favorites but you never know when Lebron will significantly decline. The Nuggets and Mavs are flawed rosters.
Weird comment. Conley . . . who else?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His series win/loss isn't good and his history with blown series leads is concerning but he's still above .500 in playoff games so it's not all bad. But injuries to him or to key teammates has been the problem, along with him dragging mediocre teams to the playoffs that really had no business being there.

all time leader in blown 2-0 leads and I watched him just shrink in the finals but whatever

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's true but without him the chances of the Suns getting back to the playoffs drops dramatically. There aren't any upgrades available and the best PG free agent is 35 year old Kyle Lowry. I'd rather pay Paul. The best PG FA on the other side of 30 is probably Denis Schroeder and he's not the answer either.

If we make a big move, I'd look to OKC and see how many picks they'd take for Shai. I'd rather not give up on CP3 but if we could swing a sign and trade that brought in a couple of picks and OKC would accept those in a deal then I'd send those to OKC for SGA.
Crazily enough, maybe we ship Paul and a slew of picks to OKC for SGA and they ship Paul to the lakers for whatever they can lift from the lakers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazily enough, maybe we ship Paul and a slew of picks to OKC for SGA and they ship Paul to the lakers for whatever they can lift from the lakers.

I was trying to think of young PG's to replace CP3 and SGA was the only guy I could think of who might be available and is the right age range that has actually shown his value at this point.

I just can't see how to get it done at this point. Might be worth watching going forward to see what OKC does because while Shai is a really good young piece, he's not a piece to build around like OKC should be looking for going forward. They have a boatload of picks and then a dump truck full with even more ready to replenish that stock, which is great if they had a true #1 to build a team around.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was trying to think of young PG's to replace CP3 and SGA was the only guy I could think of who might be available and is the right age range that has actually shown his value at this point.

I just can't see how to get it done at this point. Might be worth watching going forward to see what OKC does because while Shai is a really good young piece, he's not a piece to build around like OKC should be looking for going forward. They have a boatload of picks and then a dump truck full with even more ready to replenish that stock, which is great if they had a true #1 to build a team around.
I’ve actually heard talk that they may be shopping him bc he won’t fit their timeline. And their timeline right now is draft picks. If we can send Paul and picks they can turn Paul around for more picks. They’ve done it with other players. I’m not saying it’s even feasible, but who knows?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Suns draft picks are in a lock box thanks to the protection on the first round pick included in the trade for Chris Paul.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns draft picks are in a lock box thanks to the protection on the first round pick included in the trade for Chris Paul.

what is the status of our picks and future picks?

do you know? because I sure as hell don’t

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what is the status of our picks and future picks?

do you know? because I sure as hell don’t

Until the traded pick conveys they can't trade a first round pick until 2027. They can trade #29 on draft day.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose