2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. I think the misconception with some of us is that we in fact don’t WANT to face the Lakers but that we don’t MIND if we do. At this point in the season, they are being massively overrated on this board. They’ve got like 10 days to get their ish together, but if the playoffs started now, the Lakers wouldn’t completely terrify me like they do several posters here.

time will tell. If LeBron and AD are even 80%, think we get squashed 4-1 in the first round.

that would just be awful after the seasons Renaissuns!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah. The Lakers are making sure LeBron is as rested as humanly possible. It’s clear they’ve decided on rest and health over playoff seeding at this point... and prob made that calculation weeks ago.

The Trail Blazers own the tiebreaker with the Lakers but they have a tough schedule to finish the season against the Spurs, Rockets, Jazz, Suns and Nuggets.

It's possible they lose twice. They have one less loss than the Lakers. Catching the Trail Blazers is the Lakers best chance of avoiding a play-in.

It's hard to see the Mavericks losing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if they aren’t healthy, I agree. But Davis just looked like bubble Davis tonight and if LeBron is even 75%, I don’t see us beating them.

Yeah we have no counter for AD, Lebron and probably Schroder even if Lebron isn't quite Lebron. It they are close to healthy, we are toast. And despite what some people keep saying here, it has nothing to do with fear. I'm okay with losing to a better team whenever that occurs as long as we play to our level.

This team has played with incredible heart and intensity this season and have greatly exceeded almost everyone's expectations but we simply aren't on the same level talent-wise with at least 2 teams. There are a handful of other teams that are on our level or maybe a little higher but the Nets and Lakers when healthy outclass every team by a considerable margin.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah we have no counter for AD, Lebron and probably Schroder even if Lebron isn't quite Lebron. It they are close to healthy, we are toast. And despite what some people keep saying here, it has nothing to do with fear. I'm okay with losing to a better team whenever that occurs as long as we play to our level.

This team has played with incredible heart and intensity this season and have greatly exceeded almost everyone's expectations but we simply aren't on the same level talent-wise with at least 2 teams. There are a handful of other teams that are on our level or maybe a little higher but the Nets and Lakers when healthy outclass every team by a considerable margin.
We don’t have an answer for Schroeder? That’s a new one.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you figure with CP and Carter that was have no answer for Schroeder?

CP3 is too old and has lost a step as a defender so its not a great matchup for him. He's still a good defender overall but Schroeder's speed is too much for CP3 to deal with in a 7 game series.

Carter can guard him but bringing him in would remove the offense that CP3 produces, which is huge.

Cam Payne is the best matchup for him and would probably see an increase in playing time because we'd need the help defensively. He's also a solid offensive option who is sometimes able to produce at a starters level. He's no CP3 offensively but no one else is.

Its just not ideal because wed need to go small in the backcourt or sit Paul or Booker to bring in Payne. Going small could cost us with their huge frontcourt because Booker at SF against a frontcourt of LeBron, AD, and Drummond/Gasol is a mismatch they would exploit to W's.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you figure with CP and Carter that was have no answer for Schroeder?

he's played very well against us so far this year in his two games with 20 ppg and 45 and 44% shooting from 3, all numbers above his average.

but even if he plays that well, CP3 easily cancels him out impact wise, IMO. The bigger problem is we have is that we just have no one who can even come close to guarding LeBron if he's healthy and if Davis is healthy, I expect him to dominate Ayton.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn I knew this board was terrified of the Lakers, I just didn’t know how little we fans think of our own team. Pretty sad.

Please don’t speak for others here because I don’t think feelings about our team are as black and white as you make them seem. I, like most people on the board who are afraid of the Lakers in the first round, think we can beat 28 of 30 teams in the league in a seven game series. Thinking that we’re not quite at the level of a healthy Lakers defending champion or a healthy Nets team, both of whom are more talented/battle tested then we are just means we think this team is pretty damn great, but maybe not quite great enough to win a title in their first year being really good again.

A healthy Lakers team is the only team in the West I don’t think we can beat If they’re healthy. That means I think we’d have a great shot to go to the Finals if just ONE team wasn’t standing in our way. After years of being atrocious I think that speaks to how much I believe in this team... not how little.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Damn I knew this board was terrified of the Lakers, I just didn’t know how little we fans think of our own team. Pretty sad.
I know, myself believe Craig and Crowder are going to make the old man work. Ayton will be fine and they have to guard Book and Bridges..

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Look, I get being scared of Anthony Davis and to a lesser extent Lebron James, but when people start lumping Dennis Schroeder in as guys we can't defeat, then that's where I draw the line.

Sure, Schroeder had some good games against us, but so what? The Lakers LOST those games. If you can neutralize one of the big 2 -- hold them to their averages -- we have a really good chance of winning games against them. The key against the Lakers is not to wait for them to do something, you get super creative on defense and throw a bunch of different looks at them. Subtract Davis and James, and they have one of the worst rosters in the NBA. With them, they are definitely one of the small list of teams contending for a title this year, but they CAN be beat.

I'm much more impressed by the Nets and their collection of talent. Can't play a lick of defense, but they'll outscore you more than any other team, including the Lakers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, myself believe Craig and Crowder are going to make the old man work. Ayton will be fine and they have to guard Book and Bridges..

LeBron averaged 31/12/8 against Crowder last year in the Finals. Ayton going up against the best bigs in the league has gotten lit up like a pinball machine every time he played one of the best big men in the game, both times he played Embiid and three times against Joker. If Davis is healthy, there’s little reason not to expect the same to happen.

yes, they’ll have to guard Book. But Bridges scores 13 ppg. That’s not going to be some massive advantage that makes up for LeBron/Davis if they’re healthy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You’re not wrong here. But it fails to recognize the disparities. In the same way Craig/crowder will make Lebron work, KCP and Caruso will make book work.

and they have waves of size in Drummond, AD, marc gasol, montrezl, and markieff. That’s a lot of size. We have Ayton, frank, and saric.

it’s okay to think your team is a top team but to acknowledge that you recognize when another team has superior matchups or talent or experience or all of the above.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
LeBron averaged 31/12/8 against Crowder last year in the Finals. Ayton going up against the best bigs in the league has gotten lit up like a pinball machine every time he played one of the best big men in the game, both times he played Embiid and three times against Joker. If Davis is healthy, there’s little reason not to expect the same to happen.

yes, they’ll have to guard Book. But Bridges scores 13 ppg. That’s not going to be some massive advantage that makes up for LeBron/Davis if they’re healthy.
Not to mention they can just put Lebron on bridges and he’s likely fully neutralized if Lebron decides to exert himself defensively. I think some posters think of Lebron as old and fail to acknowledge that he’s STILL a physical freak of nature.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Drummond has been TERRIBLE for the Lakers, there is absolutely zero chemistry there. Lebron will do well in the playoffs, but he's not the same guy he was last year in the bubble, especially coming off an injury that seems to be lingering.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look, I get being scared of Anthony Davis and to a lesser extent Lebron James, but when people start lumping Dennis Schroeder in as guys we can't defeat, then that's where I draw the line.

Sure, Schroeder had some good games against us, but so what? The Lakers LOST those games. If you can neutralize one of the big 2 -- hold them to their averages -- we have a really good chance of winning games against them. The key against the Lakers is not to wait for them to do something, you get super creative on defense and throw a bunch of different looks at them. Subtract Davis and James, and they have one of the worst rosters in the NBA. With them, they are definitely one of the small list of teams contending for a title this year, but they CAN be beat.

I'm much more impressed by the Nets and their collection of talent. Can't play a lick of defense, but they'll outscore you more than any other team, including the Lakers.

Disagree that the Lakers have one of the worst rosters in the NBA without LeBron and Davis. With both of those guys out for a month, that roster played close to .500 ball. Schroeder is a good player and was runner up sixth man of the year last year, Harrel a great bench guy and last year’s 6th man of the year, Kuzma a solid player, Markieff, who I may hate, but is a solid rotation player and Drummond who’s a good big man. And the rest of the guys are take or leave role players. I actually think they are stacked with talent, especially when healthy and especially in the front court. They can just send waves of big men at anyone.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drummond has been TERRIBLE for the Lakers, there is absolutely zero chemistry there. Lebron will do well in the playoffs, but he's not the same guy he was last year in the bubble, especially coming off an injury that seems to be lingering.

Drummond is averaging 11 points, 9 rebounds and 1 block per game on 53% shooting in 24 minutes. That’s terrible?

as for LeBron, I hope you’re right, but that dude is a machine and I think they realize they aren’t getting HCA and are just making sure he’s going to be fresh for the playoffs. Time will tell.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Speed kills, so does knowledge. Dennis is very quick and he knows CP's game - he's helped hold Paul to 4 for 15 shooting this season. And he's a much better player than most fans probably realize, just look at the Lakers when he doesn't play - he's missed 8 games this season and the Lakers lost 7 of them. If you think otherwise, that's great but it doesn't mean the rest of us dislike our team or are hiding under our beds in fear of them as you seem to imply.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've responded to you on this several times and each time I've deleted the words before posting because I don't want to get into an argument with you. But surprisingly enough, I don't like being mocked for daring to hold a different opinion than the rah rah guys either, so it's a tough call for me.

Speed kills, so does knowledge. Dennis is very quick and he knows CP's game - he's helped hold Paul to 4 for 15 shooting this season. And he's a much better player than most fans probably realize, just look at the Lakers when he doesn't play - he's missed 8 games this season and the Lakers lost 7 of them. If you think otherwise, that's great but it doesn't mean the rest of us dislike our team or are hiding under our beds in fear of them as you seem to imply.

I’ll be honest... I’m kinda hiding under my bed. I HATE the idea of playing the Lakers in the first round. I hate thinking that our great season might go splat because the Lakers tanked the regular season in order to be healthy for the post season. I hate dreading a first round after dying for a decade without the playoffs. I dread playing the best player in his generation and possibly top 3 ever who’s NEVER lost in the first round. And probably more than anything I am dreading all the crap I’d have to to take from all my Laker friends living in LA and all crap spewed on the radio as well.

I have been more of a beacon of joy this season than probably 96% of the posters here, dating all the way back to being all in on the CP3 trade. But man, I hate this matchup for us. Just hate it. For so many different reasons.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
he's played very well against us so far this year in his two games with 20 ppg and 45 and 44% shooting from 3, all numbers above his average.

but even if he plays that well, CP3 easily cancels him out impact wise, IMO. The bigger problem is we have is that we just have no one who can even come close to guarding LeBron if he's healthy and if Davis is healthy, I expect him to dominate Ayton.
Look at the games individually though. He had one good game with 22 points on 57% and the other was 17 points on 35%. Hardly a sample of games to suggest we struggle with him. Maybe we get a better idea after the 3rd game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the games individually though. He had one good game with 22 points on 57% and the other was 17 points on 35%. Hardly a sample of games to suggest we struggle with him. Maybe we get a better idea after the 3rd game.
That’s a good point. Hell, part of me is hoping if we play them he’s still feeling the effects of Covid a little if that’s why he’s in the protocol.

is that messed up on my part? Yes. Yes it is.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah he'd been out for 10 days and he struggled shooting for several games after returning. But you're right, 2 games is a small sample, I'm not even sure that 3 games will make it all that clear.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a good point. Hell, part of me is hoping if we play them he’s still feeling the effects of Covid a little if that’s why he’s in the protocol.

is that messed up on my part? Yes. Yes it is.

With the luck we've had throughout our existence I figure it's only fair if every team we face is missing a couple of key players. I don't care if we win it all with the biggest asterisk of all time, I'd still be thrilled. I know we're not the best team this season but at least we have a chance and I'll take any good fortune that comes our way. I'm not asking for a career ending injury, maybe just a stubbed toe or a few sprained wrists.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the luck we've had throughout our existence I figure it's only fair if every team we face is missing a couple of key players. I don't care if we win it all with the biggest asterisk of all time, I'd still be thrilled. I know we're not the best team this season but at least we have a chance and I'll take any good fortune that comes our way. I'm not asking for a career ending injury, maybe just a stubbed toe or a few sprained wrists.

I’m your huckleberry here, Steve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose