2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I’m worried about an emotional plateau if we knock them out early. That was supposed to be a WCF caliber matchup.
But is that still the case right now? I think just getting past the first round would be an emotional plateau, regardless of the opponent.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The refs are a wild card, sure, but I'd like to see the reasoning that the Lakers would "wipe" the floor with us. I don't see that as a given against them at all.

*if relatively healthy? size, athleticism, experience. We don't play nearly as well against big, athletic teams. We just saw the Hawks wipe the floor with us. The Nets beat us pretty the same way. The Clippers have handled us pretty easy twice when they had their two stars and we struggled to put them away when they were down Kawhi and multiple starters. Those are all big, long and athletic teams. And while you may think playoff experience isn't that important, I disagree. I think of Suns teams from the past like the 1989 WCF when we played the Lakers and it was KJ, Horny and Majerle's first go round. That team had Chambers and EJ who had playoff experience and Cotton as coach and EVERY GAME against the Lakers was close in that series... but the defending champions always knew how to close out playoff games and we lost 4-0 in a sweep.

Then, I think of the 2004-5 Suns... playoff neophytes all of them except for Nash. We get the already multiple champion Spurs in the WCF, have HCA and just blow both games at home. That first game we lead by 10 in the third and then just didn't have the experience to close out the game. And then like most inexperienced teams, let the moment get too big for us and just got shellacked in Game 2 en route to a 4-1 series loss. That team had Nash with a lot of playoff experience, but that was pretty much it... much like CP3.

Like it or not, but the Lakers are the defending champs, they have a lot of experience when the pressure is REALLY on. We've yet to see how we handle that. A lot of times, first crack at the playoffs are learning experiences. I think we can overcome those against teams that aren't title tested and who I think we're generally better than... the Mavs, Portlands, Warriors of the world.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
*if relatively healthy? size, athleticism, experience. We don't play nearly as well against big, athletic teams. We just saw the Hawks wipe the floor with us. The Nets beat us pretty the same way. The Clippers have handled us pretty easy twice when they had their two stars and we struggled to put them away when they were down Kawhi and multiple starters. Those are all big, long and athletic teams. And while you may think playoff experience isn't that important, I disagree. I think of Suns teams from the past like the 1989 WCF when we played the Lakers and it was KJ, Horny and Majerle's first go round. That team had Chambers and EJ who had playoff experience and Cotton as coach and EVERY GAME against the Lakers was close in that series... but the defending champions always knew how to close out playoff games and we lost 4-0 in a sweep.

Then, I think of the 2004-5 Suns... playoff neophytes all of them except for Nash. We get the already multiple champion Spurs in the WCF, have HCA and just blow both games at home. That first game we lead by 10 in the third and then just didn't have the experience to close out the game. And then like most inexperienced teams, let the moment get too big for us and just got shellacked in Game 2 en route to a 4-1 series loss. That team had Nash with a lot of playoff experience, but that was pretty much it... much like CP3.

Like it or not, but the Lakers are the defending champs, they have a lot of experience when the pressure is REALLY on. We've yet to see how we handle that. A lot of times, first crack at the playoffs are learning experiences. I think we can overcome those against teams that aren't title tested and who I think we're generally better than... the Mavs, Portlands, Warriors of the world.
Good post, although I simply am not as terrified of them as you are.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The refs are a wild card, sure, but I'd like to see the reasoning that the Lakers would "wipe" the floor with us. I don't see that as a given against them at all.
I think if healthy they have the best two players in the series. And we don’t have the personnel to counter those two players effectively. Lebron overpowers all of our wings and we don’t have a legit athletic power forward to use on him. And we literally have no answer for Davis. He’ll take deandre outside and tool on him. Not to mention deandre will be busy wrestling Drummond to keep him off the boards. The rest of the lakers are role players but they hit the three and play defense and for whatever reason that Tucker kid just eats us alive.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On sports center Kendrick Perkins throwing words around like “he never won a championship” after finding out Steve Nash said losing 4 in a row was a good thing for the nets.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if healthy they have the best two players in the series. And we don’t have the personnel to counter those two players effectively. Lebron overpowers all of our wings and we don’t have a legit athletic power forward to use on him. And we literally have no answer for Davis. He’ll take deandre outside and tool on him. Not to mention deandre will be busy wrestling Drummond to keep him off the boards. The rest of the lakers are role players but they hit the three and play defense and for whatever reason that Tucker kid just eats us alive.

All of this and the Suns need a healthy Jae Crowder.

The thing going for the Suns is the Lakers may not be fully healthy and the team chemistry the Suns have developed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On sports center Kendrick Perkins throwing words around like “he never won a championship” after finding out Steve Nash said losing 4 in a row was a good thing for the nets.

I'm with Kendrick Perkins. Losing four games in a row is never a good thing.

It must be nice to have so much talent to even entertain this thought.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with Kendrick Perkins. Losing four games in a row is never a good thing.

It must be nice to have so much talent to even entertain this thought.

it worries me a little that the Nets have been REALLY pedestrian with just Kyrie and Durant and yet they handled us so easily a couple weeks ago. Same with the Hawks.

maybe I just need to see a convincing win over a good team right now. We’ve def won some tough games against good teams recently (Knicks, Sixers and Bucks) but they were all by the hair of our chinny chin chin.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it worries me a little that the Nets have been REALLY pedestrian with just Kyrie and Durant and yet they handled us so easily a couple weeks ago. Same with the Hawks.

maybe I just need to see a convincing win over a good team right now. We’ve def won some tough games against good teams recently (Knicks, Sixers and Bucks) but they were all by the hair of our chinny chin chin.

The Suns need to get some rest and stoke the fire. I think they are wore down a bit physically and mentally. The season ending schedule has been brutal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree.
His words hit me right in the feels though.

The polished hammer agrees with perk

I guess I will need to see the quote or the video for context. Still I think embracing losing four games in a row is the wrong message.

Maybe Nash was trying to make lemonade out of lemons?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donovan Mitchell continues to make progress towards return.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm the opposite. I'm more terrified of Portland #1 and to a certain extent Golden St. I think a first rd match up vs a healthy Lakers team would be damn awesome. This team can play with anyone and we dont lose many games esp in a row. Bring it

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'm the opposite. I'm more terrified of Portland #1 and to a certain extent Golden St. I think a first rd match up vs a healthy Lakers team would be damn awesome. This team can play with anyone and we dont lose many games esp in a row. Bring it

Not afraid of Portland and they’ll have zero fans. Unfair to them but I’ll take it.

Another thing to mention is the Suns getting extra days off by playing the play-in winner. If they give everything they’ve got for the 1-seed then those extra days will come in handy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bring on one of the best players of all time, who’s been to the Finals in 9 of the last ten years, while on three separate teams, in both conferences? And in the first round where most of our guys have never stepped foot on a court in a playoff game?

y’all hoping for a healthy Lakers team are bigger gluttons for punishment than I am.

And that’s saying a ton.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Bring on one of the best players of all time, who’s been to the Finals in 9 of the last ten years, while on three separate teams, in both conferences? And in the first round where most of our guys have never stepped foot on a court in a playoff game?

y’all hoping for a healthy Lakers team are bigger gluttons for punishment than I am.

And that’s saying a ton.
While I certainly would prefer a different opponent, I am not terribly afraid of them if they don't get healthy and start gelling soon. We could potentially catch them while they are at their most vulnerable in a first round matchup.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I certainly would prefer a different opponent, I am not terribly afraid of them if they don't get healthy and start gelling soon. We could potentially catch them while they are at their most vulnerable in a first round matchup.

if they aren’t healthy, I agree. But Davis just looked like bubble Davis tonight and if LeBron is even 75%, I don’t see us beating them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This makes a ton of sense. If LeBron is still hobbled and AD continues slumping, while the rest of the squad appears lost then I wouldn't mind seeing them in the 1st round. That doesn't mean I hope we see them in the 1st. Even if they are beat up, it won't be an easy series and will take a lot energy from our guys. There are easier matchups that are possible.

I would like to see the Lakers fall into the play in round though. That would be humorous and could cause them to go home before everything begins and listening to LeBron complain about the play-in even more from home while round 1 takes place would be amazing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This makes a ton of sense. If LeBron is still hobbled and AD continues slumping, while the rest of the squad appears lost then I wouldn't mind seeing them in the 1st round. That doesn't mean I hope we see them in the 1st. Even if they are beat up, it won't be an easy series and will take a lot energy from our guys. There are easier matchups that are possible.

I would like to see the Lakers fall into the play in round though. That would be humorous and could cause them to go home before everything begins and listening to LeBron complain about the play-in even more from home while round 1 takes place would be amazing.
Right. I think the misconception with some of us is that we in fact don’t WANT to face the Lakers but that we don’t MIND if we do. At this point in the season, they are being massively overrated on this board. They’ve got like 10 days to get their ish together, but if the playoffs started now, the Lakers wouldn’t completely terrify me like they do several posters here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is a misconception that Lebron can't play.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Suns see him Sunday when they visit the Lakers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is a misconception that Lebron can't play.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Suns see him Sunday when they visit the Lakers.

yeah. The Lakers are making sure LeBron is as rested as humanly possible. It’s clear they’ve decided on rest and health over playoff seeding at this point... and prob made that calculation weeks ago.