2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Luka is a bad defender and so is Tim Hardaway Jr and Seth Curry. Playing all 3 together was asking for trouble. So trading Curry for defensive help wasn't a bad move, except no else has stepped up to fill in the offense they lost with Curry.
Wouldn’t always have to play them together. Luka and hardaway are playing most of the games without rest because of their scoring.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, I think overall Dallas played well enough to win tonight until the fourth quarter. They just don’t have a reliable player outside of doncic. They have to fire Rick Carlisle, dump KP, and significantly upgrade their roster. Maybe bring Seth curry back. Also I thought the refs were inconsistent, but KL was the difference down the stretch.

Dallas went cold from the field in the 4th quarter where they couldn't buy an outside shot. I think they should have put Boban back in the game to give them an inside scoring threat instead of hoisting up threes. When the Mavericks became vulnerable and the game was there for the taking, Leonard and George weren't missing.

I agree the Mavericks need another more consistent threat than Porzingis. The Mavericks weakness last night, was not being able to hit important shots down the stretch. Once George and Leonard smell blood in the water they are hard to beat. They weren't missing no matter how well guarded. The Mavericks need to regroup. It's not over.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Dallas went cold from the field in the 4th quarter where they couldn't buy an outside shot. I think they should have put Boban back in the game to give them an inside scoring threat instead of hoisting up threes. When the Mavericks became vulnerable and the game was there for the taking, Leonard and George weren't missing.

I agree the Mavericks need another more consistent threat than Porzingis. The Mavericks weakness last night, was not being able to important shots down the stretch. Once George and Leonard smell blood in the water they are hard to beat. They weren't missing no matter how well guarded. The Mavericks need to regroup. It's not over.
Definitely agree with you! KL was a beast all game and those 3s he hit down the stretch were awesome. Paul George has played much better these playoffs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t always have to play them together. Luka and hardaway are playing most of the games without rest because of their scoring.

There just isn't enough talent on that roster.

Personally I hope they listen to the fans and the reactionary pundits and fire Carlisle so they can bring in average coach after coach who will occasionally lead them into the playoffs so they can get bounced in the first round (in their good years). After a decade plus of switching between the lottery and never advancing in the postseason maybe the media and the sports world in general will stop mocking the Suns for the Ayton pick.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t like Schroeder, but he did put up 20 in that final game.

That Laker team was a mess. Al McCoy said you could easily see it on the sideline. LeBrons teams seem to always end up that way, especially with the point guards.

the coaching was horrible too. Vogel was just throwing line ups out there Willy nilly.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was playing really well and the Lakers were in love with him when he turned down that deal but things have definitely changed. The Lakers don't have a lot of PG options though.

We will see what happens. Schroder was particularly effective in the first three games of the the playoffs against Phoenix and less so the last three game even though he scored 20 points in the finale.

I don't think he is worth more than 4/84, maybe less.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We will see what happens. Schroder was particularly effective in the first three games of the the playoffs against Phoenix and less so the last three game even though he scored 20 points in the finale.

I don't think he is worth more than 4/84, maybe less.

I wouldn't want to invest that much money in him either. But he was playing like a top 5 PG when he went down and was being lauded for his ability to fit in and run a team. After his last Covid break, the story changed dramatically.

Let him walk? Try for a sign and trade? Pay him big money and hope for the best? It's a tough call for LA. Fortunately I dislike Dennis almost as much as I dislike the Lakers so it's no big deal to me.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
There just isn't enough talent on that roster.

Personally I hope they listen to the fans and the reactionary pundits and fire Carlisle so they can bring in average coach after coach who will occasionally lead them into the playoffs so they can get bounced in the first round (in their good years). After a decade plus of switching between the lottery and never advancing in the postseason maybe the media and the sports world in general will stop mocking the Suns for the Ayton pick.
You are right about talent and you have helped me look from another angle. if the mavs can keep Doncic they will make the playoffs and will always have a chance to get out of round 1, but they have to upgrade their roster in order to advance farther. I know I am jumping the gun because this series isn't over yet. I do give Carlisle credit, so far they keep bouncing back after they hit a rough patch. and they are playing good defense against an explosive team. Certainly Rick deserves the benefit of the doubt because he is a champion and a proven winner. After thinking more about it, I don't think Carlisle will lose his job after this season unless there is something we are missing behind the scenes or if he decides to leave on his own.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t like Schroeder, but he did put up 20 in that final game.

That Laker team was a mess. Al McCoy said you could easily see it on the sideline. LeBrons teams seem to always end up that way, especially with the point guards.

the coaching was horrible too. Vogel was just throwing line ups out there Willy nilly.

Lebron is the king of finger pointing. He will sit back and let the media eat up his teammates and say nothing

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After thinking more about it, I don't think Carlisle will lose his job after this season unless there is something we are missing behind the scenes or if he decides to leave on his own.

True. At some point players tend to tune out their head coach especially when reality falls short of expectations or even the hopes and dreams of everyone around (including fans). And if that happens, they'll either need to clear the roster or bring in a new coach. It's possible they are already at the point where they aren't listening to Rich. But like I said, it's not because the guy can't coach.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lillard trade proposal:

Simmons, Maxey, Korkmaz, two firsts and two swaps to Portland
Lillard to Philly

who says no?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portland will try and move McCollum to upgrade the team around Lillard before trading Lillard. Lillard needs help and I think its been proven he and McCollum aren't going to get it done.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Portland will try and move McCollum to upgrade the team around Lillard before trading Lillard. Lillard needs help and I think its been proven he and McCollum aren't going to get it done.
McCollum won't give them what they need. He is just not enough. They waited to long.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Fournier taking Melo’s minutes as back-up bench scorer is also a solid improvement.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
True. At some point players tend to tune out their head coach especially when reality falls short of expectations or even the hopes and dreams of everyone around (including fans). And if that happens, they'll either need to clear the roster or bring in a new coach. It's possible they are already at the point where they aren't listening to Rich. But like I said, it's not because the guy can't coach.
More solid points. I'm actually wondering when Rick may reach that point that he decides he's had enough, maybe I'm wrong, but the mavs have not exactly had a nice stretch on or off the court over the last 10 years. Now better days appear to be ahead with fans returning and Luka being a rising superstar by the day. but if Carlisle doesn't get on well with Luka it could be problematic. by most accounts Cuban, Nelson, and Carlisle all have a great working relationship and all have equal accountability for winning and losing. Cuban himself let it slip in an interview that KP and Luka don't get on well off the court, which is strange that he said that. It doesn't appear they get on well on the court either especially in this series. KP expressed frustration and denied Cuban's take as being true. Boban and Luka appear to be more of a dynamic duo. that is remarkable and sad at the same time. Which leads me to wonder where Carlisle comes into play as the mediator between all of these elements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA