2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Maybe you're right but the shot just wasn't prioritized even when Rose was winning his MVP so players were less likely to seriously work on their range. And taking that long 3 with a high percentage would open up the court for Iverson, more than offsetting the advantage he'd lose if they called his crossover illegal.

Kobe and Wade didn't really play in this era IMO, the league takes more than twice as many 3's now as they did in Wade's rookie year. Plus they were near the end of their careers when the rules (or interpretations) were altered to more closely protect the outside shooters and to discourage contact that restricts movement on the perimeter.

Lots of great PG scorers just don’t improve much as 3pt shooters for various reasons…
Westbrook, Wall, Parker are just guys I saw on the all-nba lists that overlapped eras a little bit. That wasn’t really might point though I just think he wouldn’t even need to be a great shooter.

I think AI had great vision and high bball iq despite the chucker narrative. Nobody thought Harden would be an elite passer. I could see him being a juggernaut like that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of great PG scorers just don’t improve much as 3pt shooters for various reasons…
Westbrook, Wall, Parker are just guys I saw on the all-nba lists that overlapped eras a little bit. That wasn’t really might point though I just think he wouldn’t even need to be a great shooter.

I think AI had great vision and high bball iq despite the chucker narrative. Nobody thought Harden would be an elite passer. I could see him being a juggernaut like that.

I don't know. He'd benefit from some of the rules changes but he'd also take the hit on his crossover so I don't know which would matter more. But like so many guards today, he can create a lot more space by becoming a bigger threat from deep. I know that not all guards improve their shot but a lot more players coming up today can shoot from 3 and beyond effectively because it's become more of a priority. No reason that couldn't be the case for AI too.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Should have been a 5th foul on Durant to end the 3rd. I hate the nba sometimes

Let that be a lesson to those who say you should attack a star to try to pick up his nth foul. NBA officiating doesn't work that way.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. He'd benefit from some of the rules changes but he'd also take the hit on his crossover so I don't know which would matter more. But like so many guards today, he can create a lot more space by becoming a bigger threat from deep. I know that not all guards improve their shot but a lot more players coming up today can shoot from 3 and beyond effectively because it's become more of a priority. No reason that couldn't be the case for AI too.

John Stockton and Steve Nash could have been great three point shooters in any era but the focus on 3-point shooting has evolved as you note.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jason Kidd withdraws his name from consideration for Trail Blazers head coaching job.

This is surprising to me unless he has aspirations to be a head coach somewhere else or perhaps the Lakers head coach some day.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report Joel Embiid will start and play in game 1 for 76ers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jason Kidd withdraws his name from consideration for Trail Blazers head coaching job.

This is surprising to me unless he has aspirations to be a head coach somewhere else or perhaps the Lakers head coach some day.

I can see LeBron telling him not to take another job because he's Vogel's replacement. Its just a matter of when LeBron fires Vogel.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It seems to be pushing the envelope.
Happening alot nowadays. But, these players get to decide these things in this era. Especially the bigger star you are..... doctors be damned. Good for them though imo... Just don't play the blame game if your reinjure after the fact.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Trae is the best player on the floor and it’s not close. Feels like he is having a 2014 playoffs Kawhi moment where he just announces he is the best player in the world suddenly.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy cow... they are crushing them WITH Embiid putting up 17/5 in the first half.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Indiana has to be kicking themselves still for firing McMillan. The Hawks had the best record in the East after the All-Star break. I know they had some injuries early in the season but they turned into dark horse contenders when Nate took over.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can see LeBron telling him not to take another job because he's Vogel's replacement. Its just a matter of when LeBron fires Vogel.
Oh. I believe this is going to happen. I am surprised it has not happened yet. It might be that Kidd and the Lakers are just negotiating contracts right now. Once that is done, Vogel will be fired.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trae is the best player on the floor and it’s not close. Feels like he is having a 2014 playoffs Kawhi moment where he just announces he is the best player in the world suddenly.
I wanted Trae in that draft. I so much wanted them to get Trae and Ayton. Mikal is a nice consolation prize though.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Embiid probably won’t play much better with the knee injury, and Hawks just pound them. Hawks could beat Nets.