2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dillon or Marshon.

Got to be clear on these things.

James Jones wanted Dillon Brooks who was a very solid player on a reasonable contract but Kelly Oubre was a super nice door prize in the Trevor Ariza trade.

Too bad the Suns couldn't have traded Austin Rivers to another team for a draft pick.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
James Jones wanted Dillon Brooks who was a very solid player on a reasonable contract but Kelly Oubre was a super nice door prize in the Trevor Ariza trade.

Too bad the Suns couldn't have traded Austin Rivers to another team for a draft pick.

Why didn’t we keep Rivers?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He wanted to move on to a contender... Houston. The Suns waived him.

Edit: I have since read in another article Austin Rivers didn't want to be waived. I don't recall it being mentioned at the time.

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-news-austin-rivers-didnt-want-suns-waive-him/

Good find but I don't recall ever hearing him say he wanted to be here. The quotes in that article make it seem more like he didn't want to be waived in general because he didn't like the perception of being waived. I think he would have suited up here for us but I dont blame JJ for cutting him loose.

We just got rid of a locker room problem in Ariza and even if Rivers would have been willing to play while we looked for a trade it could have delayed the positive effects of removing Ariza. The rules for trading an acquired player like Rivers are also a bit restrictive in that he could only be dealt alone and he had a sizable enough of a contract that dealimg him wouldn't have been that easy. We would have needed to take something back. If we wanted a pick, we wouldn't have gotten a first without taking on salary and JJ doesn't seem to view second round picks very much.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good find but I don't recall ever hearing him say he wanted to be here. The quotes in that article make it seem more like he didn't want to be waived in general because he didn't like the perception of being waived. I think he would have suited up here for us but I dont blame JJ for cutting him loose.

We just got rid of a locker room problem in Ariza and even if Rivers would have been willing to play while we looked for a trade it could have delayed the positive effects of removing Ariza. The rules for trading an acquired player like Rivers are also a bit restrictive in that he could only be dealt alone and he had a sizable enough of a contract that dealimg him wouldn't have been that easy. We would have needed to take something back. If we wanted a pick, we wouldn't have gotten a first without taking on salary and JJ doesn't seem to view second round picks very much.

I'm sure the Suns and Wizards tried to get another team involved after the Grizzlies backed out of the trade but there were no takers or returned an unwanted piece.

There was a lot of pressure to complete the trade. It's still hard to believe there was a confusion about the name of the player.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure the Suns and Wizards tried to get another team involved after the Grizzlies backed out of the trade but there were no takers or returned an unwanted piece.

There was a lot of pressure to complete the trade. It's still hard to believe there was a confusion about the name of the player.
Not really hard. It was the Wizards brokering that deal. The Suns weren’t talking to Memphis directly. The Wizard guys were just trying to find someone the Suns would want and we’re not paying attention to the fact that there were two players named Brooks in Memphis. I think that is why the Suns ended up with Oubre. The Wiz had to complete a deal that the Suns wanted because the Wiz were at fault in the mess.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not really hard. It was the Wizards brokering that deal. The Suns weren’t talking to Memphis directly. The Wizard guys were just trying to find someone the Suns would want and we’re not paying attention to the fact that there were two players named Brooks in Memphis. I think that is why the Suns ended up with Oubre. The Wiz had to complete a deal that the Suns wanted because the Wiz were at fault in the mess.

But it was reported the Suns received Dillon Brooks medical records from Memphis to review. So there had to have been contact between Memphis and Phoenix for those to be passed along. Something happened and JJ received most of the blame for it since the Suns had stunk for so long and he was new on the job.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My thoughts were the Grizzlies changed their mind on sending Dillon Brooks to the Suns and backed out of the trade. I liked Dillon Brooks a lot and he had an extra year on his contract at a reasonable salary. Still I thought Oube was the best player in the trade so I was thrilled when the Suns received him.

Also as Hoop Head points out, there was the issue of the Suns supposedly receiving medical records.

Regardless, I was thrilled the Suns were able to trade Ariza for a usable player that wanted to be here.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it was reported the Suns received Dillon Brooks medical records from Memphis to review. So there had to have been contact between Memphis and Phoenix for those to be passed along. Something happened and JJ received most of the blame for it since the Suns had stunk for so long and he was new on the job.

Sure, we probably had contact with Memphis for the records but Washington was still the deal maker. Giving us Dillon's medical records makes it pretty clear that Memphis changed their mind and decided to make us and Washington look like fools rather than admit they'd had a change of heart. No big deal, I'm sure similar things (change of heart) have happened but when you're a franchise on the bottom, it hurts even more when someone higher up pisses on you and tells the world it was just raining.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My thoughts were the Grizzlies changed their mind on sending Dillon Brooks to the Suns and backed out of the trade. I liked Dillon Brooks a lot and he had an extra year on his contract at a reasonable salary. Still I thought Oube was the best player in the trade so I was thrilled when the Suns received him.

Also as Hoop Head points out, there was the issue of the Suns supposedly receiving medical records.

Regardless, I was thrilled the Suns were able to trade Ariza for a usable player that wanted to be here.

Not only did Oubre want to be here but he was a big piece in changing the culture here. He helped save a terrible season, IMO. I think Book would have been much more frustrated after that season had we not added Oubre, who was someone young, talented, and able to take a lot of pressure off him in the media and from fans. It sucks it didn't work out long term but that's the NBA and I'm still grateful for all Oubre did to help turn around the perception of being a Sun.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Players looking for other options into the NBA.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harden doesn’t have to score. He’s taken his PG play to a different level (prob more to do with the talent around him).

Joe Harris is getting practice shots in playoff games. That’s how hard they are to guard.

And then theres Kyrie. Its almost unfair.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Harden doesn’t have to score. He’s taken his PG play to a different level (prob more to do with the talent around him).

Joe Harris is getting practice shots in playoff games. That’s how hard they are to guard.

Boston (especially without Brown) is a far cry from the Bucks. Giannis tilts the board.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Funny that the two best teams in the West are playing in Round 1, and the two best teams in the East are playing in Round 2.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Philly also presents an interesting challenge for Brooklyn.

Simmons and Thybulle are a pretty elite missile defense system.

And Embiid will get WHATEVER he wants on offense against the Nets’ laughably bad interior defense.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody is beating the Nets in a series if they are healthy, not even a healthy Lakers team. JMO.