2020-21 Around the NBA Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark Cuban now thinks the idea of a play-in tournament is an "enormous mistake."

The linked article explains why.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark Cuban now thinks the idea of a play-in tournament is an "enormous mistake."

lol. I think it’s stupid too, but that’s what you signed up for Nark!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

LOL, now that it looks like his team will actually be participating in the tournament it's a mistake. Hahaha

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Without Murray - no they won't. Their chances of making it past the first round are pretty much over.
Very much depends on matchup. They still have their leading scorer and the orchestrater of their offense in Jokic and they have MPJ and Gordon that are likely capable of shouldering a larger scoring role. It will depend very much on their first round matchup. If it's a healthy Lakers for instance they don't have a chance.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Maybe he was pro play-in due to the bubble?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I believe voting for the bubble rules and the normal rules going forward were separate votes.

Personally I am all for the play in if it only includes teams that are very close to each other in the standings. If a team is currently the 9th ranked team in the conference, but are like 5 games behind the 8th seed they shouldn't get a chance for the play in.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It probably seemed to be the right thing to do this season the way the bubble worked out but in a compressed season and due to injuries, it's proving not to be such a good idea.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe voting for the bubble rules and the normal rules going forward were separate votes.

Personally I am all for the play in if it only includes teams that are very close to each other in the standings. If a team is currently the 9th ranked team in the conference, but are like 5 games behind the 8th seed they shouldn't get a chance for the play in.

agreed. To be honest, I think the entirety of the play in is stupid. Teams have had 70 games to figure out who goes to the playoffs. Allowing a team thats games behind you at the final Gun to run a a new race where everything’s equal punishes the team who played better all season.

it made sense in a season that was so screwed up last year. But a normal regular season? Don’t think so.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
agreed. To be honest, I think the entirety of the play in is stupid. Teams have had 70 games to figure out who goes to the playoffs. Allowing a team thats games behind you at the final Gun to run a a new race where everything’s equal punishes the team who played better all season.

it made sense in a season that was so screwed up last year. But a normal regular season? Don’t think so.
I like it for teams that are within a game or 2 of each other. Sure you get 70 games to figure out who is better, but there are external circumstances that can effect a couple games throughout the season. For instance the team sitting in the 8th spot may have had an easier strength of schedule than the 9th place team or maybe less back to back games. I wouldn't blame a 5 game difference on those things, but it could easily account for a 2 game difference in records.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think I agree with this. I do think they should make the last two playoff teams eligible for the lottery. It takes away some incentive to tank. It's an idea I have been toying with anyway.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like it for teams that are within a game or 2 of each other. Sure you get 70 games to figure out who is better, but there are external circumstances that can effect a couple games throughout the season. For instance the team sitting in the 8th spot may have had an easier strength of schedule than the 9th place team or maybe less back to back games. I wouldn't blame a 5 game difference on those things, but it could easily account for a 2 game difference in records.

Especially this year when a teams best player could miss 2-3 weeks, which is about 10 games, because of Covid. Covid isn't your typical injury and everyone has been susceptible. Whether you're asymptotic or not, you're out for 2 weeks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They should have put a caveat in, like the teams in 9th and 10th need to be within, at least, 3 games of the teams in 7th or 8th. It would be really unfair for a team that finishes 6+ games out to sneak in via a 2 game playoff.

However, I suspect Cuban would have a dramatically different stance if his team was sitting in 9th or 10th right now.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They should have put a caveat in, like the teams in 9th and 10th need to be within, at least, 3 games of the teams in 7th or 8th. It would be really unfair for a team that finishes 6+ games out to sneak in via a 2 game playoff.

However, I suspect Cuban would have a dramatically different stance if his team was sitting in 9th or 10th right now.
Or if his team was firmly in the top 6.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The play in is a little different than I thought. I thought it had the 7 seed face the 10 and the 8 seed play 9 but its actually 7 vs 8 to determine who is the real 7 seed and faces the 2 seed in the first round. Then 9 plays 10 to see who gets the 8th seed and plays the 1 seed in the first round. That screws the team with the 8th best record the most, IMO.

www.Nba.com/news/nba-announces-structure-and-format-for-2020-21-season

You must be registered for see images attach

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The play in is a little different than I thought. I thought it had the 7 seed face the 10 and the 8 seed play 9 but its actually 7 vs 8 to determine who is the real 7 seed and faces the 2 seed in the first round. Then 9 plays 10 to see who gets the 8th seed and plays the 1 seed in the first round. That screws the team with the 8th best record the most, IMO.

www.Nba.com/news/nba-announces-structure-and-format-for-2020-21-season

You must be registered for see images attach
You are seeing it wrong. The loser of the 7 seed game plays the winner of the 9 vs 10 game to see who gets 8 seed. The 7 and 8 seeded teams each get 2 chances to make the playoffs. The 9 and 10 seeded teams have to win two games to get into the 8th spot.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are seeing it wrong. The loser of the 7 seed game plays the winner of the 9 vs 10 game to see who gets 8 seed. The 7 and 8 seeded teams each get 2 chances to make the playoffs. The 9 and 10 seeded teams have to win two games to get into the 8th spot.

Yeah, I needed to edit my post after seeing yours in the Miami game thread because I noticed I missed the 8th seeds chance to stay in playing the winner of 9 vs 10 but you commented here before I could edit it so whatever, I got it now. Still different than I thought but not quite as bad as I initially thought.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compressed schedule causing injuries?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... Luka has just got IT. The end of that game tonight with ridiculous plays on offense and D and that final buzzer beater for the win was just stupid. Stupid ridiculous stuff legends do.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... Luka has just got IT. The end of that game tonight with ridiculous plays on offense and D and that final buzzer beater for the win was just stupid. Stupid ridiculous stuff legends do.

Watching it I wondered if he practices that shot? The amazing thing is it didn't really look flukey.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching it I wondered if he practices that shot? The amazing thing is it didn't really look flukey.

he’s got a Larry Bird just kinda... blessed... quality to him. Reminded of that similarly stupid Bird buzzer beater to beat Portland years ago.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steph curry is en fuego right now. 9th straight game over 30, 2nd straight game with 10 plus threes had 11 last night. In the last 3 games he has a 23 point 3rd Q against Houston, a 21 point first quarter against Denver, and a 25 point 3rd Q against OKC. Admittedly 2 of the are weak teams but last three 3 games 38 in 35 minutes, 53 in 36 minutes, and 42 in 29 minutes! 29-49 on 3's in the last 3 games with games if 8, 10 and 11 made.

If they get into the playoffs they won't go far they just don't have enough depth to, but man is it fun to watch Curry right now. And Wiggins is balling too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard