2019 Free Agency

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rankin is on vacation....

No one should take that tweet too seriously. It's 4 days old and pure speculation.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks. It' good to know. I must have missed it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears the Warriors are basically throwing in the towel on this season. They lost Durant, which was going to happen by injury or exit, but they traded Iggy and now they waived Shaun Livingston. He's only guaranteed $2 million of his $7.7 million dollar deal so it makes sense they'd want to shred some salary but doing so earlier would have allowed him to find a new team and equal paycheck, or closer to equal.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It appears the Warriors are basically throwing in the towel on this season. They lost Durant, which was going to happen by injury or exit, but they traded Iggy and now they waived Shaun Livingston. He's only guaranteed $2 million of his $7.7 million dollar deal so it makes sense they'd want to shred some salary but doing so earlier would have allowed him to find a new team and equal paycheck, or closer to equal.

I think it's smart of the Warriors to let the older guys go. They realize, the older guys will not be part of their next run with their 3 core stars.

They have a year to restructure and likely use Russell in a trade later to infuse some young depth into the team.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I’ve already said I’m good with the Rubio signing. But I have to admit . . . this signing makes me a little envious.

I feel the same way. Guy had the best assist to turnover ratio and he’s only 23. I thought he would have been a great fit at PG, now moreso given the contract he received.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve already said I’m good with the Rubio signing. But I have to admit . . . this signing makes me a little envious.

I'm trying to stay positive but I suspect the Suns misread the market value of players.

It could end up, Rubio received part of the money that should have gone to Oubre.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm trying to stay positive but I suspect the Suns misread the market value of players.

It could end up, Rubio received part of the money that should have gone to Oubre.
Rubio's money should have nothing to do with Oubre. The Suns should have no issue with paying Oubre what he is worth while also having Rubio at the cost that they got him at.

Also I don't think we can really compare Tyus and Rubio as Rubio's a much more proven commodity. Jones on the other hand had by far his best season so far and it was 7/5 season. The Grizzlies are betting on his potential where as the Suns had to pay for what was already known.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think Rubio was the last of the options for the Suns to sign that gave the fans hope and something to sell the players on also. Signing a Tyus Jones or Delon Wright could have looked bad, cheap, and like we still needed a starting PG. I think we did overpay Rubio but I believe the reason we did is because they couldn't afford to miss on him after they apparently got pushed out of the Rozier market. Rubio was the last of the starting PG's the Suns could add so they couldn't risk him walking away.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Rubio was the last of the options for the Suns to sign that gave the fans hope and something to sell the players on also. Signing a Tyus Jones or Delon Wright could have looked bad, cheap, and like we still needed a starting PG. I think we did overpay Rubio but I believe the reason we did is because they couldn't afford to miss on him after they apparently got pushed out of the Rozier market. Rubio was the last of the starting PG's the Suns could add so they couldn't risk him walking away.

Agreed.

Rubio's money should have nothing to do with Oubre. The Suns should have no issue with paying Oubre what he is worth while also having Rubio at the cost that they got him at.

Also I don't think we can really compare Tyus and Rubio as Rubio's a much more proven commodity. Jones on the other hand had by far his best season so far and it was 7/5 season. The Grizzlies are betting on his potential where as the Suns had to pay for what was already known.

Agreed, Rubio is seasoned and we know what he'll bring. Jones could just have had one of those years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We have no idea how the Suns look at their financial situation.

The Suns can pay Oubre his worth but that does not mean the funds are separate. Everything effects the cap even if fans are willing to pay Oubre more.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Of course fans would have been upset if the Suns had not signed Rubio myself included but we didn't have inside knowledge about players available.

As much as I like Rubio, this does not mean we didn't overpay.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
We have no idea how the Suns look at their financial situation.

The Suns can pay Oubre his worth but that does not mean the funds are separate. Everything effects the cap even if fans are willing to pay Oubre more.
My point is that if they want both they can very easily make it work financially. Sure they might not want to pay both of them, but I very much doubt that to be the case. Rubio's contract will be off the books by the time Ayton's (very possible) max contract were to kick in so it doesn't really get in the way. Even if they go like 10m over the cap this year to sign Oubre they can still create max to near max money next summer to sign a big name free agent.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just checked in with Minny fans and they are not nearly as high on Tyus as we have been. He struggled this last year.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Of course fans would have been upset if the Suns had not signed Rubio myself included but we didn't have inside knowledge about players available.

As much as I like Rubio, this does not mean we didn't overpay.
Is it really an overpay though? I am looking at some of the other contracts that were given out this summer and I would say 17/year in comparison seems about right for someone of Rubio's caliber (Brogdon 21m/year, Russell 29m/year, Rozier 19m/year and Joseph 12.4m/year).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point is that if they want both they can very easily make it work financially. Sure they might not want to pay both of them, but I very much doubt that to be the case. Rubio's contract will be off the books by the time Ayton's (very possible) max contract were to kick in so it doesn't really get in the way. Even if they go like 10m over the cap this year to sign Oubre they can still create max to near max money next summer to sign a big name free agent.

I think we are mostly in agreement here. The Suns can afford to pay both Rubio and Oubre.

However, the Suns paying Rubio could possibly influence their thinking on what they are willing to pay Oubre. It's only food for thought especially as free agency drags on for Oubre.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing is...bad teams have to overpay for average talent.

This is a fact for sure with the Suns lack of ability to attract top free agents.

As I mentioned before, if the Suns can keep Oubre while adding Rubio, I will give them an A grade this offseason.