2019 Free Agency

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which indicates that’s not likely our route to a pg

I agree the Suns will likely trade for a PG. Even if the Suns draft one in 2019, he will likely take awhile to be ready.

It could be the Suns wait to see how Knight plays before trading for a PG but this is risky business. The Suns need someone to get the ball to Ayton.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Whats tough, is to think about how many top notch point guards the suns have had. At times more than we needed.

Now we finally have a real center and money to spend and there isn't a point guard in sight....Its almost cruel.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Whats tough, is to think about how many top notch point guards the suns have had. At times more than we needed.

Now we finally have a real center and money to spend and there isn't a point guard in sight....Its almost cruel.
So true

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

And there are people on this board who take offense when I point out how pathetic our Front Office is despite now having experience. Yeah, bad experience.

There is an old saying, "Practice makes perfect." I was told by a gentleman who had a PhD in psychology that it should be, "Perfect practice makes perfect."

No matter how many years of experience Sarver and McDonough have, well, as you said, "Now we finally have a real center and money to spend and isn't a point guard in sight."

You give an incompetent front office a ticket to success and they don't know how to handle it.

And, BTW, the preponderance of Point Guards we've gone through, most of them were tweeners. Point Guards in size only.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And there are people on this board who take offense when I point out how pathetic our Front Office is despite now having experience. Yeah, bad experience.

There is an old saying, "Practice makes perfect." I was told by a gentleman who had a PhD in psychology that it should be, "Perfect practice makes perfect."

No matter how many years of experience Sarver and McDonough have, well, as you said, "Now we finally have a real center and money to spend and isn't a point guard in sight."

You give an incompetent front office a ticket to success and they don't know how to handle it.

And, BTW, the preponderance of Point Guards we've gone through, most of them were tweeners. Point Guards in size only.

Reboot. :)

The Suns will find a point guard.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We won't need to worry about free agent point guards after BK wins most improved player and leads us to a playoff birth and first round upset of Golden State.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We won't need to worry about free agent point guards after BK wins most improved player and leads us to a playoff birth and first round upset of Golden State.

I will take whatever you have been drinking. :p

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That will be the same day that Publishers Clearing House comes to my door with a check for a billion dollars. And I don't even participate in their scam. :)

Errntknght

Reaction score

We already have two good point guards on the team and neither of them has initials BK. They're already better at their jobs than anyone who might play Pf except Ariza, who probably won't be around the season after this upcoming one. Yup, they have a lot to learn but we're seeing improvement in three SL games. Give them a training camp with Igor's full system and they'll have come a lot further.

The last thing this team needs is score first PG - the first thing they need in a PG is good defense and luckily they're both already good at that. Heck we might need to tone down their scoring instincts a bit.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
tweeners? Nash, KJ, Kidd, Dragic and even Marbury were all pretty good PG's.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree the Suns will likely trade for a PG. Even if the Suns draft one in 2019, he will likely take awhile to be ready.

It could be the Suns wait to see how Knight plays before trading for a PG but this is risky business. The Suns need someone to get the ball to Ayton.
They are waiting for the clips to cut teodesic

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Clippers may be keeping him

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/710392/the-la-clippers-are-keeping-milos-teodosic/

I hope the Suns weren’t waiting for another team to cut a PG to solve their own PG problems especially near mid July.

They currently have 6 point guards? They have vets and a first round pick that will need minutes. If this was the Suns he would be gone to save the money. Balmer may not care that much about the $4 million. Might be willing to roll the dice on getting something back in trade for this guy.

Suns have 97 wings, Clips have 6 point guards?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't say for sure the Clippers are keeping Milo. Until his guarantee dates hits we shouldn't count on it. They have no leverage to trade him if teams are expecting him to be cut any day. So once the 14th passes, we'll see if they've been bluffing or not.

It's almost like the Suns with Monroe. Everyone knew we'd cut him so why send us anything in return? This is a little different but we'll know for sure in 2 days.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I wouldn't say for sure the Clippers are keeping Milo. Until his guarantee dates hits we shouldn't count on it. They have no leverage to trade him if teams are expecting him to be cut any day. So once the 14th passes, we'll see if they've been blushing or not.

It's almost like the Suns with Monroe. Everyone knew we'd cut him so why send us anything in return? This is a little different but we'll know for sure in 2 days.
Blushing?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
if we dont land a star that fits with the team it will have been a failure to wait for 2019.

We could have gotten massive capspace this year if they waived and stretched Chandler and Dudley pretty much just as much capspace as they will have in 2019 but this year the market was very favorable to teams signing players.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they don’t cut Teodesic, they will cut Beverly. I cannot see them keeping both.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
if we dont land a star that fits with the team it will have been a failure to wait for 2019.

We could have gotten massive capspace this year if they waived and stretched Chandler and Dudley pretty much just as much capspace as they will have in 2019 but this year the market was very favorable to teams signing players.

Waiving and stretching Chandler and Dudley isn't really a good plan since doing so would eat up around $7-8 million a year for the next 3 years. It's best to pay them this season and be done with it. We'll keep at least one of them as a locker room leader/veteran voice anyways.

Even if we did free up around $16 million in extra free agent money, who was there to sign at PG?

Making a turnaround to get us into the playoffs next season is unrealistic and paying for a short term solution like that is exactly what so many fans had bashed McD and Sarver for in the past. There aren't any big name PG's available right now that are making that much money. If there were then I'm sure they'd consider taking on an expiring contract with whatever else was offered. If there was some way to add a PG who could help beyond this season then the Suns might have bit the bullet and waived one or both of those 2 but you're the first person I've seen suggest that as the route they should have taken.

It is very short sighted because they'd be stuck with $8 million in dead cap space for 3 years, that's MLE money that they couldn't spend elsewhere. All in an effort to get where exactly? The playoffs and close to a 30 win turnaround?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Waiving and stretching Chandler and Dudley isn't really a good plan since doing so would eat up around $7-8 million a year for the next 3 years. It's best to pay them this season and be done with it. We'll keep at least one of them as a locker room leader/veteran voice anyways.

Even if we did free up around $16 million in extra free agent money, who was there to sign at PG?

Their stretched contracts would have come off the books at the same time Jackson next contract would kick in and before Ayton is eligible.

They would not really have hurt us since we would have been over the cap but not close to the luxury tax.

Their are a bunch of free agents out there who will sign reasonable deals. We could have given Ariza a smaller deal but multiple years, we could have made a play for Avery Bradley or Derrick Favors or Julius Randle or Demarcus Cousins, Tony Parker all of them signed reasonable contracts.

Wayne Ellington is still a free agent, Shabazz Napier, Montrezl Harrell, Marcus Smart, Jabari Parker..

I actually would like to see us pick up Jamaal Crawford for the veteran minimum.

Last edited: