2019 Draft Prospects...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was. But most of the free throw dunkers are a foot or so inside from what I've watched.

If I'm deducting points for Michael Jordon, I'm deducting points for him. :mrgreen:

I'm thinking there must have been some players in the history of basketball that have done this dunk outside the free throw line.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm deducting points for Michael Jordon, I'm deducting points for him. :mrgreen:

I'm thinking there must have been some players in the history of basketball that have done this dunk outside the free throw line.

I haven't seen one. Dr J is the first one I remember being credited for it and I don't think he was court legal either. IIRC, someone (maybe Julius) said that Connie Hawkins had done it but I never saw him attempt it in the NBA. Of course, life had beaten him down, dealt him a bad hand, walked all over him by then. That's my impression of Steve, I say the same thing 3 times in 3 different ways, Lavin.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like a legit free throw line dunk. Most really do step past the FT line.

He went over a little bit but far less than they usually do. The angle drives me nuts though, get closer so you can see the line and the foot.

Impressive though

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best dunker I've ever seen in person was a kid named Gerry Wright who played at both USC and Iowa, nickname was Sir Jamalot.

Huge hands, lefty. My senior year of HS we played a game at San Jose State where the next game was USC and SJSU. Got to meet Stan Morrison and got to shake hands with Wright whose hands just engulfed mine.

There were rules against dunking in warmups but he was early enough the refs looked the other way as he threw a few down. in dunk contests he could do a legit 360 with 2 balls and dunk both, he called it a 720. He could do a cartwheel dunk where the hand touching the floor had the ball in it, and he could allegedly do a FT line dunk although I never saw him do that one.

Unfortunately that was really all he was good at

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's another angle of that, 2 other angles. I don't think he went over. At least it's not obvious he went over. Maybe his toes did but I've paused it a few times and am just not seeing what others are as far as being positive he went over.

There are 2 camera angles in this video, one from the side, and another from under the basket where he jumps right at the camera. In case the video doesn't work here is the URL... Copy & Paste it into the address bar and remove the space between stream & able

https://stream able.com/jqbc8

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the best screenshot I could grab as he's leaving the ground, it doesn't appear over. Perhaps he's on that line though.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the best screenshot I could grab as he's leaving the ground, it doesn't appear over. Perhaps he's on that line though.

thats as good as MJ ever got.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
You gotta walk before you can run.

And besides, I kinda doubt Golden State gets the 1 seed. Three time champs don't tend to burn up a bunch of fuel chasing regular season goals.
True, and the whole season working to stay in contention and getting into the playoffs, preparing for a playoff series, I think they'll learn lots by that, regardless of how the first round goes.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's a larger screenshot, it shows him leaving the ground and his back foot appears to be right on the line. As many times as I've watched it, it appears his right foot that is already off the ground here was in the same spot or just as far forward as the one on the ground here.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That dunk was perfectly adequate and he has nothing to be ashamed of.

I was kidding about your "inch or two" comment. Regardless, I agree and perhaps it didn't come across but I made a similar point earlier. He appeared to barely cross the line but IMO he crossed it less than all the other legendary free throw dunkers.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah that looks legit.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I was kidding about your "inch or two" comment. Regardless, I agree and perhaps it didn't come across but I made a similar point earlier. He appeared to barely cross the line but IMO he crossed it less than all the other legendary free throw dunkers.

You couldn’t tell that I knew that based on my reply? ;)

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched the dunk on youtube, this guy doesn't even look cut(in shape) too. Crazy how he stutter-stepped first and finally got his stride going AFTER half court, and still was able to dunk that.

Have we ever seen LeBron attempt a FT dunk?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched the dunk on youtube, this guy doesn't even look cut(in shape) too. Crazy how he stutter-stepped first and finally got his stride going AFTER half court, and still was able to dunk that.

This is the closest I could find. He was a foot over the line, but he could have made the FT dunk easily.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I saw a few different versions of Zion's FT line dunk on Youtube when I looked. The most recent was on there, which is what's being debated here. There was also others that looked quite impressive where he was clearly over the line. Surprised he's had that ability for a while, it seems.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously though free throw line dunk was incredible by Zion Williamson getting away from technicalities.

He showed the ability to actually make that dunk on a given day. IMO, he had the margin of error to do it. Zion could be an incredible player if he continues to develop.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I saw a few different versions of Zion's FT line dunk on Youtube when I looked. The most recent was on there, which is what's being debated here. There was also others that looked quite impressive where he was clearly over the line. Surprised he's had that ability for a while, it seems.
His toe may have barely touched the line. That was the truest free throw dunk I have ever seen.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His toe may have barely touched the line. That was the truest free throw dunk I have ever seen.

I really wish Lebron would have entered at least 1 dunk contest because I'm fairly certain he could have done it at some point but he can't get credit for what people think he could have done. All-Star's used to regularly compete in dunk contests but we don't see that anymore which dulls the competition. Maybe that will change in a few years as a new crop of All-Star's start coming up in the league. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who might be capable of pulling that off other than Lebron. It's a fairly basic dunk for a competition but if anyone can take off behind the line they're virtually guaranteed a 50.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see someday a pure free throw line dunk someday in live play. I think it's possible with the adrenaline flowing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like to see someday a pure free throw line dunk someday in live play. I think it's possible with the adrenaline flowing.

I've wanted to see someone take the ball through their legs during a game. I don't think that's been done yet either. I think JR Rider was the first to nail that dunk in a dunk contest but since he did it it's been something you see every year in the contest and by multiple people. That's a good example of how much more flexible and athletic some players are compared to 2 decades ago.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've wanted to see someone take the ball through their legs during a game. I don't think that's been done yet either. I think JR Rider was the first to nail that dunk in a dunk contest but since he did it it's been something you see every year in the contest and by multiple people. That's a good example of how much more flexible and athletic some players are compared to 2 decades ago.

Ricky Davis! hahaha

I didn't remember this, but I do remember when he missed a shot at the end of a game on purpose so he could grab the 10th rebound of his triple double.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson