2018 Phoenix Mercury season thread

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Seldom mentioned, but a key factor, is that our Head Coach is Sandy Brondello. And that most of Ann Meyers-Drysdale's behind-the-scenes involvement is with the Mercury.

And that, luckily for the Mercury, part-owner Robert Sarver has confined his unqualified micro-managing ego trip to the Suns.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Tonight's (Friday) opening game at home vs. Dallas is scheduled to be on Fox.

Then we'll be on the road at Seattle on Sunday.

I'll be sitting center court for our next game (also vs. Seattle) next Wednesday at 7PM.

Our next televised game will be Friday June 1st at Minnesota on ESPN.

Our only other ESPN game will be near the end of the season on August 12th at home vs. Los Angeles.

Fox will televise seven addition games in between (five at home and four away).

Go, Mighty Mercury!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crowd was electric tonight. Fun crowd. This is a much better team with January and Bonner. BG struggled for awhile with the big Australian.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And the Mercury win the home opener. Diana with 20 in the first half and 6 in the second. Brittney in foul trouble from the start.

And my favorite, DeWanna Bonner, with a double-double. It is amazing how she can step from being solid support to picking up the slack for a star, as she did for Brittney tonight, in her first game back from having twins last season.

It was a close game until the Mercury established breathing room in the 4th quarter. And, oh yes, Diana with her 1,000th regular season 3-pointer. She joined three NBA players in reaching 1,000 in I-forget-how-many games. The NBA plays 48 minute games. The WNBA plays 40 minutes games.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
'Sorry guys, but I guess I brought bad luck to the Mercury tonight. The Storm avenged their loss to us in Seattle and beat us in the home & away back-to back.

The X factor was a great crowd as usual with a lot of noise but, after we jumped out to an early lead, we fell behind by double digits and the best we could do was get it down a couple of times then go right back up again.

So the Mercury is 2-1.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, too bad I didn’t know you were at the game, we could have taken an ASFN picture together!

As you said, fast start but we just couldn’t stop their hot shooting. They were at 56% at one point.

Props to the Mercury for their skin cancer awareness night. It’s personal for me and I appreciated their efforts to bring awareness to the importance of sunscreen and getting regular checkups!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Damn, too bad I didn’t know you were at the game, we could have taken an ASFN picture together!

As you said, fast start but we just couldn’t stop their hot shooting. They were at 56% at one point.

Props to the Mercury for their skin cancer awareness night. It’s personal for me and I appreciated their efforts to bring awareness to the importance of sunscreen and getting regular checkups!
I've had a few myself, including the MOHS Treatment on the top of my head. It left a little bit of a valley. Hmmm, the Valley from the Sun. :)

Luckily, they got it all on the first shot, so I was released within the hour, rather than having to repeat it for a second or third hour. I do get checkups regularly.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a few myself, including the MOHS Treatment on the top of my head. It left a little bit of a valley. Hmmm, the Valley from the Sun. :)

Luckily, they got it all on the first shot, so I was released within the hour, rather than having to repeat it for a second or third hour. I do get checkups regularly.

I’ve had Melanoma twice, squamous cell carcinoma once + a few of severely atypical moles that had to be removed. Scars galore! Thankfully none on the top of my head :) Isnt it crazy how much has to be taken out based on a tiny mole? Props to you for getting regular checkups!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, I hate losing to LA. In any sport!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
After winning their first two games (including one on the road), the Mercury are on a losing streak. Is it complacency? Whether or not, I expect Sandy can correct it.

But with Brittney being inconsistent from game to game (depending on who is defending her), the backup Center role is apparently too much to put on rookie Marie Gülich.

I am glad to see they wasted no time in signing 6'6" Angel Robinson as backup Center. That should make a big difference.

It is a good example why our Mighty Mercury are three time League champions. They don't stare at problems for months. And they realize the importance of a balanced roster.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Tonight's game (Friday June 1st) is being televised on ESPN2 (Cox channel 32) at 5:00 PM.

I hope to see the Mercury come back to life.

'Looks like I'll be missing the first half hour or so of the D-backs game at 6:30.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
At the half, it's Phoenix 52-50 Both the Mercury and Minnesota are 2-3 this season.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

And it's 75-70 Mercury at the end of the 3rd quarter. What a fun game!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The Mercury ends their 3-game losing streak (and a 13-game losing streak to Minnesota) to even their record at 3-3. A 10-point victory -- 95-85.

DT, BG and DB the stars of the game for Phoenix.

Last edited:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have lost so many in a row to MN. We need this game! Turner with two 3s. Griner has been hot with those mid range jumpers.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And the Mercury win another and are now 4-3. We beat Atlanta on the road.

Our big three lead the way. Diana with 20 points & 8 assists; DeWanna with 20 points, 7 boards & 6 assists and Brittney with 17 points & 7 boards.

DT and DB tied for our scoring lead with 20.
BG and DB tied for our rebound lead with 7.
DT led us with 8 assists, DB had 6 and January had 5.

Atlanta's C and PF each had 10 rebounds.

My fav, DeWanna Bonner, was right up there in all three categories. DT and BG are our stars. DB is the difference maker.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mercury beat NY and DT scored her 8,000th point - first in WNBA history!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game was on Twitter this evening. We pulled out a win. It wasn’t pretty but we came back to take the lead and held on for a road win. 6 wins in a row!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
MERCURY LOSES STARTING POWER FORWARD SANCHO LYTTLE TO A SEASON ENDING KNEE INJURY

Camille Little, who started at the position in 2017, replaced Lyttle only to suffer an ankle injury in the closing seconds. Her availability for Thursday's home game against Connecticut is unknown.

The 6-2 Little likely will return as a starter perhaps with 6-5 rookie Marie Gulich as the backup. Gulich has missed the last two games due to a death in her family. The Mercury’s other backup post is 6-6 Angel Robinson.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...sancho-lyttle-season-ending-injury/751919002/