2018 NBA Trade Deadline

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's worth noting the G-League showcase this coming week will draw reps from most teams. That will be the new sort of meeting place since the deadline has been moved ahead of the All-Star game, where teams used to discuss trades. So if there is activity, it'll probably finish before the deadline.
The Naz Suns did put Reed and Goodwin on the team plus I believe House. Peters is a good player also Josh Grey has been playing really well and won G player of the week. Not sure if players here could be used as pawns in any trade. Just spent two weeks in China visiting my Daughter.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
About Knight... maybe Triano will get him to perform better so let's not shut the door on him just yet.
That is an interesting idea. I wonder what Knight would look like with actual accountability. He is quite talented and a very good shooter when he is disciplined about his shot selection.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand that however if the Suns can improve their record and they're closer to the playoffs than they are to the bottom of the standing it wouldn't surprise me if they make a move with the playoffs in mind. What that would be is anyone's guess but I think it's safe to say our biggest need is at the PG position. With a good starter I think we'd be a playoff team right now, although it depends on how good of a fit that player is. If we had score first guard like Bledsoe, I don't think we'd be much higher in the standing than we are but if we had a distributor like Rondo, Rubio, or even someone who is more of distributor than scorer like Jeff Teague or George Hill we'd be close to 500.

I was looking at the assists leaders this year and there aren't many players averaging a high number. Only 1 guy is averaging 10 or more, Westbrook, with 3 averaging 9, Wall, Harden, and Lebron. The 5th overall is Draymond Green who is averaging 7.6 a game, which is great for a PF but that's low for #5 in the league. For comparison, last year the top 3 in the league averaged over 10 a game, while #4 and #5 averaged over 9 a game still.

Scoring is the same across the league and so are assists but it seems more teams are relying on other players to initiate their offense. For the Suns, Booker is the assist leader at 4.3 a game but a number of other teams have non-PG's leading them in assists as well like Golden State, Cleveland, and Boston. It's not just bad teams or good teams either with the Warriors, Cavs, 76'ers, Celtics, Nuggets, and Grizzlies all being teams who have non-PG's leading them in assists this season. It seems like playmaking is another thing changing in the modern "position-less" NBA.

Here is a link to view the league leaders for assists this season...
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/assists/sort/avgAssists

Teams have gone to more of a motion style offense that spreads the assists around, rather than leaving the ball in the hands of a single playmaker. The Suns have done that too. If that is the case, a well-rounded point guard would be the way to go. You need point guard with:

1. good handles who can bring the ball up against the press.
2. good defensive player to keep pressure on the other team's pg.
3. The better shooter, the better, it just spreads the offense for everyone.
4. Careful passer. Sees the open man and gets the ball to him. Does not throw the ball away.
5. Not a hero. Willing passer.
6. I would personally love to have a pg that really pushes the break.

Except for #6 Brogdon is that type of player.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Knight. Have you ever wondered how he might do with a real coach who holds him accountable?

Not holding out hope for anything, but I am curious.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hasn't that been public knowledge for two years?
It’s a horrible contact. Cleveland had their hands tied on that one. Isn’t it some sort of conflict for a player to be a part owner of an business like Klutch. It gives him power over his own team and other teams. I do not know how Le Bron gets away with it.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Knight. Have you ever wondered how he might do with a real coach who holds him accountable?

He was damn near an All-Star under Jason Kidd but didn't play PG like Kidd wanted so he was shipped out of Milwaukee. He's better than we've seen him as a Suns player but I don't think he's the type of PG the Suns need going forward but maybe with all of the hiccups he's had in career he'll be more receptive to quality coaching than we've seen.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s a horrible contact. Cleveland had their hands tied on that one. Isn’t it some sort of conflict for a player to be a part owner of an business like Klutch. It gives him power over his own team and other teams. I do not know how Le Bron gets away with it.

Lebron isn't part owner of Klutch though, at least not publicly. I think everyone knows he has an interest in it but since there is no paper trail right now there is nothing that can be done. Why would anyone else raise issue when it's only hurt the Cavs? Klutch wasn't founded until 2012, after Paul worked for CAA. He left that agency with James and I'm sure once Lebron retires he'll be given a large chunk of the company but until then there isn't really a smoking gun. Lebron is also the NBA's golden child and there is no way they mess that up by investigating the agency that his agent founded.

If you look at their client list, he has a handful of players around the league but it's primarily the Cavs who have been screwed because no other team has allowed multiple players on their roster be represented by Paul or Klutch. The Suns had Watson and Bledsoe and we saw how that ended, I wouldn't be surprised if other teams made note of that in addition to what's happened in Cleveland with Paul's clients and that team.

I did find this article about Lebron leaving CAA and going with Paul while he started Klutch sports but that's all that's really out there.

http://www.ibtimes.com/lebron-james-leaves-caa-childhood-friend-will-represent-him-788898

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I guess you tell him this is your chance to be on the floor with major minutes. Knight is getting paid just sitting but does he want his dream?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Agreed on most of that... but I know exactly how LeBron gets away with it... It's because he's one of the best players of all time. You could put him on a court with Huey, Dewy and Louie, make them and LeBron play 4 on 5... and they'd still probably win 50+ games and make the finals... unless they're in the west, make it the quarter finals.

His supporting cast right now (especially with Thomas playing wretched in his return) is crazy terrible. Take LeBron off that roster and they're one of the 5 worst teams in the NBA. Despite that, they're probably still the favorite to come out of the East, and a near lock for the conference finals.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Isaiah Thomas, Dwyane Wade, Derrick Rose, Kevin Love, Jae Crowder, Channing Frye, Kyle Korver and Josh Smith is crazy terrible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Isaiah Thomas, Dwyane Wade, Derrick Rose, Kevin Love, Jae Crowder, Channing Frye, Kyle Korver and Josh Smith is crazy terrible?

I'd say so. Most of those guys have big names, but they are almost all:

a) high-volume scorers who struggle in other key aspects of the game (Thomas and Love)

b) way past their prime and more impressive in name than in actual play (Wade, Rose, Korver)

c) mediocre (J.R. Smith, Frye, Crowder)

Looking at that roster, it's not surprising that they are 5th in the league in points scored (109.5)...

But it's also not surprising that they're 25th in the league in points allowed (108.5).

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I'd say so. Most of those guys have big names, but they are almost all:

a) high-volume scorers who struggle in other key aspects of the game (Thomas and Love)

So is TJ Warren, yet he (according to your evaluation) is a great player and can net a mid-lottery pick while Thomas and Love are crazy terrible.

Actually Warren is (much) less effective in scoring than Love and Thomas (last season).

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Let me be clear: No statements I make on this message board should be taken as anything other than my subjective opinion, which is based off of reading articles and watching games for fun.

Most any declarative statement I make is not me saying I am 100% right or that I am not open to changing my opinion, and I would greatly appreciate the assumption on the part of other posters that there is nuance to my thoughts and opinions that are not fully contained within a short post on a message board.

I apologize if my posts are coming across otherwise.

These are things I believe, for further clarification:

IT and Love are excellent players who are fantastic scorers. They have deficiencies, particularly on defense, that concern me. When grouped with the rest of Cleveland's roster, they leave something to be desired as a unit.

Warren is a younger player in the same boat. He is not as good as the other two yet (and may never be as good), but may have similar value (I'd still say mid-to-late lottery pick) due to things such as his contract, age, etc.

I don't think TJ Warren is a great player. I think he has as good an argument as pretty much anyone of being a top small forward after you get past the elite SFs because, for the most part, it's not a position I feel is deep in talent at the NBA level.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What little they've seen of Thomas has been dreadful. Wade is done, he's reduced to a ball stopper who can't shoot, Rose is even more done than that, Frye is worthless for anything but attempting a wide open 3, same with Korver, I am assuming you meant JR Smith and yes he is HORRID, JR Smith has, for a few years now, probably been the worst rotation player that any contender uses. Love is good, not the star he once appeared to be... but good.

Take LeBron off that team and they're a contender for the #1 pick.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Chandler wants to sign another contract beyond his current deal. Not sure if that impacts his trade value or not. Hope he doesn't resign here unless it's near the minimum.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The biggest problem the Suns have right now is Not Archibald.

This team needs a good PG.

Sent from the International Space Station using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Yes, Ulis’ shortcomings are just too much. A really good normal sized PG would probably improve everybody else’s game.

Sent from the International Space Station using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Chandler wants to sign another contract beyond his current deal. Not sure if that impacts his trade value or not. Hope he doesn't resign here unless it's near the minimum.

I wouldn't mind if the Suns moved on given the opportunity unless Chandler is willing to become a second or third string center next season.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He was damn near an All-Star under Jason Kidd but didn't play PG like Kidd wanted so he was shipped out of Milwaukee. He's better than we've seen him as a Suns player but I don't think he's the type of PG the Suns need going forward but maybe with all of the hiccups he's had in career he'll be more receptive to quality coaching than we've seen.
I agree with your assessment that Knight is not the type of Point Guard the Suns need with such a young team. Just as when he couldn't satisfy Kidd. If a Point Guard player can't satisfy a former Point Guard head coach, that shouldn't be taken lightly.

So my guess is that even quality coaching isn't going to make him a good facilitator. Wanting to make the rest of the team better on offense is one thing. Having the potential ability to do it is not a given.

It is time for the Suns to stop looking back in building a cohesive team.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am not a Knight fan, but he is under contract, and his trade value is currently non-existent. Hell, I am betting that it would take a first-round pick just to get rid of him right now. Might as well give him a few games and hope he at least gets some trade value.