2018 NBA Trade Deadline

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I am not a Knight fan, but he is under contract, and his trade value is currently non-existent. Hell, I am betting that it would take a first-round pick just to get rid of him right now. Might as well give him a few games and hope he at least gets some trade value.
Which is, of course, a lot different than projecting him to fill our need for a lead Point Guard on this young team next season.

Wouldn't it be better for him, as with Len, to get a fresh start somewhere else? Without expectations of being part of the rotation, let alone starting Point Guard? We need a starting Point Guard to fill a roster spot, not Brandon Knight.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Brandon Knight was horrible BEFORE he blew out his knee. Why would anybody think he would be any better after?

Sent from the International Space Station using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Also does anybody else find it odd that they never mention him during broadcasts? Usually when one of your high priced players has a major injury you take some time to report on their rehab every once in a while.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brandon Knight was horrible BEFORE he blew out his knee. Why would anybody think he would be any better after?

Its WHY he was horrible. He is lightening fast. He can shoot. The talent is there. The skills are there. He just had poor shot selection and played hero ball. That is something coaches usually deal with.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Which is, of course, a lot different than projecting him to fill our need for a lead Point Guard on this young team next season.

Wouldn't it be better for him, as with Len, to get a fresh start somewhere else? Without expectations of being part of the rotation, let alone starting Point Guard? We need a starting Point Guard to fill a roster spot, not Brandon Knight.

Well sure, I'd rather have a 24 year old John Stockton, but there isn't one to be had. I'd rather we trade Knight without giving up assets, but that's not going to happen.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Its WHY he was horrible. He is lightening fast. He can shoot. The talent is there. The skills are there. He just had poor shot selection and played hero ball. That is something coaches usually deal with.

I don't know that you can teach basketball IQ. Maybe you are right, but I just don't see it. Knight is what he is. I think he can get better at some things, but I don't see how he can go through some fundamental change.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't know that you can teach basketball IQ. Maybe you are right, but I just don't see it. Knight is what he is. I think he can get better at some things, but I don't see how he can go through some fundamental change.
in 1969, Laurence J. Peter, PhD, founded The Peter Principle. It states, "In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his (or her) level of incompetence."

You promote an employee until they reach, and fail at, a level that they cannot fulfill. Then what do you do? There are two options.

You keep them and demote them. Or you move them, or let them move, to another company (team) for a fresh start with less expectations. An environment without the stigma of having been demoted.

The second option is clearly the best for everyone concerned. I hope the Suns can work it out. Tying up a roster spot with Knight at the end of the bench is one thing. Feeling obliged to use him at Point Guard simply because he is too incompetent at any other position is a different story.

And, worse of all, lessening the urgency of obtaining a solid mid-career Point Guard to help fulfill the potential of our young roster would be asking for another delay in our hope of the Suns taking a long awaited step forward.

Point Guard and Center are more difficult positions to fill than Power Forward, Small Forward and Shooting Guard. Knight and Len are not the answers. Buh-bye, guys.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wonder...can anyone think of a player who was seen as a selfish, hero ball type for the first part of his career who then had things click and changed his ways?

I can't think of a good example, but I would love to be wrong about Knight.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Boston wants to move on from Hayward (and I doubt they do), I bet they could get a lot more than that. Hayward is really, really good.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
OK. Boston has been playing well. Jason Tatum looks like the real deal AND they have Jaylen Brown looking good too. Danny Ainge might be regretting investing all that money in Gordon Hayward.

I highly doubt that he is. It's the exact opposite, IMO.

Ainge will watch his team going probably at least into conf. semifinal. Then he will sleep very well after having a thought of switching Baynes to Hayward in the starting lineup next season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder...can anyone think of a player who was seen as a selfish, hero ball type for the first part of his career who then had things click and changed his ways?

I can't think of a good example, but I would love to be wrong about Knight.

I think Allen Iverson may have had this label.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Allen Iverson may have had this label.

That's an interesting one, but I don't think he ever really changed his game that much. He just happens to be an all-time great so he could overcome that style.

Iverson's rookie year he attempted 19.8 shots a game and averaged 7.5 assists.

His career averages in those stats: 21.8 shots a game and 6.2 apg.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting one, but I don't think he ever really changed his game that much. He just happens to be an all-time great so he could overcome that style.

Iverson's rookie year he attempted 19.8 shots a game and averaged 7.5 assists.

His career averages in those stats: 21.8 shots a game and 6.2 apg.

My point was Allen Iverson was once considered a selfish basketball player but no one wanted to win more than him so he sort of escaped this category for me. You are right he did not change his game.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My point was Allen Iverson was once considered a selfish basketball player but no one wanted to win more than him so he sort of escaped this category for me. You are right he did not change his game.

That's fair. But if the Suns are going to play Brandon Knight at point guard I want him to change his game hahaha

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. Boston has been playing well. Jason Tatum looks like the real deal AND they have Jaylen Brown looking good too. Danny Ainge might be regretting investing all that money in Gordon Hayward. So

Monroe, Daniels, and Len for Gordon Hayward.

Ainge gets out of the contract, gets quality center that he can play next to Horford and a shooter. Plus he can sign Monroe. The Suns now have TJ, JJ, or Hayward to use as trade bait to move up in the draft.

Oh my God... come the f on.

This trade idea is beyond ridiculous.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Take LeBron off that team and they're a contender for the #1 pick.

Probably right because you'd be left with a bunch of egos, declining and injured talent and no obvious leader that would inevitably lead to bad on-court chemistry, but that's not the whole story - there IS talent there that:

1. Will fall gladly fall into role-playing line behind LeBron.

2. Would make a pretty good roster elsewhere e.g. IT, Booker, Crowder, Love and a steel chair at centre (a defensive one at least), with Korver (still doing his marksman thing / he definitely hasn't fallen off a cliff statistically) and Wade off the bench (18ppg last season) is likely a playoff team assuming IT gets back to where he was before.

So not an entirely clear cut statement, I don't think.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Yes, Ulis’ shortcomings are just too much. A really good normal sized PG would probably improve everybody else’s game.

I was referring to the Celtics great PG Tiny Archibald.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
OK. Boston has been playing well. Jason Tatum looks like the real deal AND they have Jaylen Brown looking good too. Danny Ainge might be regretting investing all that money in Gordon Hayward. So

Monroe, Daniels, and Len for Gordon Hayward.

Ainge gets out of the contract, gets quality center that he can play next to Horford and a shooter. Plus he can sign Monroe. The Suns now have TJ, JJ, or Hayward to use as trade bait to move up in the draft.
Puff, puff, pass man.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
2. Would make a pretty good roster elsewhere e.g. IT, Booker, Crowder, Love and a steel chair at centre (a defensive one at least), with Korver (still doing his marksman thing / he definitely hasn't fallen off a cliff statistically) and Wade off the bench (18ppg last season) is likely a playoff team assuming IT gets back to where he was before.

I'm not sure that that team is any better than the current Suns.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A point guard of IT’s calibre, plus Love over Bender or Chriss?

It’s better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Again, we're talking about the IT the cavs have experienced thus far, and in what little he has played he's been terrible.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard