2018 NBA Trade Deadline

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're 29 days from the deadline, with it being February 8th. It's early this year, ahead of the All-Star game, and I think that could help some in the future but I'd be surprised if there is a lot of activity this year.

Here is a link to a Woj article about the deadline this year, even he doesn't see much happening with DeAndre Jordan being one of the biggest names out there but he's not drawing much interest.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/pag...ines-potential-deals-watch-adrian-wojnarowski

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's worth noting the G-League showcase this coming week will draw reps from most teams. That will be the new sort of meeting place since the deadline has been moved ahead of the All-Star game, where teams used to discuss trades. So if there is activity, it'll probably finish before the deadline.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not see a difference maker that will help the Suns at the trade deadline although that can change. Last season it was Jusuf Nurkic.

For the Suns to make a trade, it will have to be worth it in terms of less ping pong balls. If the Lakers were willing to do a minor trade for a second round pick(s) Ivica Zubac interests me.

Of course the Suns would need to unload a center or two. ;)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K.C. Johnson‏Verified account@KCJHoop
Can confirm Pistons have shown preliminary interest in Mirotic, per source. @TheSteinLine 1st. Also told Portland could join mix with Jazz and Pistons. Bulls motivated to get 1st round pick for Niko.

The Trail Blazers and Pistons seem to be the best choices as they are playoff teams and could really benefit from a shooting PF.

Offhand, I think the Trail Blazers can offer more because they are stocked with young players.

A pick and a young player should get it done.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone will come knocking for Monroe, Chandler or Dudley. I would like to keep either one of Chandler or Dudley just to have a professional veteran with this young team, but having both is probably unnecessary. I doubt we'd get anything super attractive in return but one can dream...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone will come knocking for Monroe, Chandler or Dudley. I would like to keep either one of Chandler or Dudley just to have a professional veteran with this young team, but having both is probably unnecessary. I doubt we'd get anything super attractive in return but one can dream...
Simple question. What team will need a big for the playoffs, has an asset that would interest us, AND 17 million in salary to send us that will not cripple our future?

The list is pretty short.

Cleveland.

Can't think of anyone else. Would have to be something like Fry, Shumpert and swap the Nets pick for the Miami pick. Maybe with top 5 protection on the Nets pick or something. It's looking to be about the same range as our #1. I would even give them the Miami pick AND the Milwaukee pick.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Shumpert has another season left on his contract, unless he opts out. I don't know if it's worth a late lottery pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RealGM
@RealGM

Heat Uninterested In Considering Goran Dragic Trade

I can't think of anything more more ironic and funny if the Suns traded for Dragic. The Suns have traded him twice but there is sort of a love-hate relationship going there.

Only joking, but if Knight were included in the trade, it wouldn't be the worse trade ever. Booker and Dragic would work IMO. Probably give their draft pick (this draft) or the Bucks pick.

End of brain storm. :D

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can't think of anything more more ironic and funny if the Suns traded for Dragic. The Suns have traded him twice but there is sort of a love-hate relationship going there.

Only joking, but if Knight were included in the trade, it wouldn't be the worse trade ever. Booker and Dragic would work IMO. Probably give their draft pick (this draft) or the Bucks pick.

End of brain storm. :D
yeah I just have to laugh at the thought, but it would be a nice combo for sure. kind of like going back to your ex thinking it'll be better the 2nd, edit 3rd time around

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns could be buyers or sellers this deadline, they're really not far from making a playoff push. There will be a few teams that start tanking after the All-Star break like the Suns did last year and that might help the Suns, if they play them, and with how they've been performing they could make a legit push.

According to an article posted on AZCentral by Scott Bordow, Triano is playing the team to win and develop them and he's done a good job. If you subtract the games Watson coached and that Booker missed the Suns would be 13-17, putting them much closer to a playoff spot than they are now. They'd need some lucky breaks to get there are this point.

Here is the article from Bordow about Triano's views on tanking...
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...t-lottery-jay-triano-devin-booker/1018511001/

They'll be shopping Monroe but who knows what they can get in return for him. I can't see him being kept long after the deadline if they can't find a deal though. They're only playing him in back to backs now to give Chandler some rest. They only have 3 back to backs after the deadline and with how he's been used it's unlikely they plan on keeping him beyond this season.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Utah won't be making the playoffs this year, they're currently in 10th place and it's been rumored they're looking to make a move. I wouldn't be against a trade for Rubio. He's not the answer to our PG woes long term but he only has 1 more year left on his contract. I would gladly trade Knight and the Miami pick for him but I don't think they'd bite on that. They need youth going forward and the Miami pick could be valuable to them. Knight is a question mark but he could help them next year, they know what Rubio is and isn't and he hasn't been a good fit for them so far. Knight would add scoring in their backcourt with Donavon Mitchell and his contract is only 1 year longer than Rubio's. They could also swap Monroe for Rubio, allowing them some cap space this year if they had no interest in Knight. The Miami pick doesn't appear to be as good as it was early in the year. Maybe Rubio could help this team, he's a solid defender and he's also a really good playmaker. He can't shoot but neither can Ulis. It'd be a gamble but it would be one that wouldn't hurt the team long term since his contract expires after next season and he shouldn't cost much to acquire.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Utah won't be making the playoffs this year, they're currently in 10th place and it's been rumored they're looking to make a move. I wouldn't be against a trade for Rubio. He's not the answer to our PG woes long term but he only has 1 more year left on his contract. I would gladly trade Knight and the Miami pick for him but I don't think they'd bite on that. They need youth going forward and the Miami pick could be valuable to them. Knight is a question mark but he could help them next year, they know what Rubio is and isn't and he hasn't been a good fit for them so far. Knight would add scoring in their backcourt with Donavon Mitchell and his contract is only 1 year longer than Rubio's. They could also swap Monroe for Rubio, allowing them some cap space this year if they had no interest in Knight. The Miami pick doesn't appear to be as good as it was early in the year. Maybe Rubio could help this team, he's a solid defender and he's also a really good playmaker. He can't shoot but neither can Ulis. It'd be a gamble but it would be one that wouldn't hurt the team long term since his contract expires after next season and he shouldn't cost much to acquire.

Knight is a liability at this point in his career so I don't see why the Jazz would do it.

I'm hoping the Suns can do better than Rubio. His assists (4.8) are about half of what they were last season (9.1). He is not the type PG I would trade for at the trade deadline because he would not be a part of the Suns long term future. Even if the Suns did it, they would probably wait until after the draft because they might draft a PG.

If the Suns do a trade at the trade deadline, do it for a future piece of the team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Utah won't be making the playoffs this year, they're currently in 10th place and it's been rumored they're looking to make a move. I wouldn't be against a trade for Rubio. He's not the answer to our PG woes long term but he only has 1 more year left on his contract. I would gladly trade Knight and the Miami pick for him but I don't think they'd bite on that. They need youth going forward and the Miami pick could be valuable to them. Knight is a question mark but he could help them next year, they know what Rubio is and isn't and he hasn't been a good fit for them so far. Knight would add scoring in their backcourt with Donavon Mitchell and his contract is only 1 year longer than Rubio's. They could also swap MonNot roe for Rubio, allowing them some cap space this year if they had no interest in Knight. The Miami pick doesn't appear to be as good as it was early in the year. Maybe Rubio could help this team, he's a solid defender and he's also a really good playmaker. He can't shoot but neither can Ulis. It'd be a gamble but it would be one that wouldn't hurt the team long term since his contract expires after next season and he shouldn't cost much to acquire.
Why trade any picks for short term results. There is no point.

There will be a young pg available with the Miami pick, and this is a deep draft, someone is going to slide. Trade picks? Sure, but for long term answers.

No sideways moves.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you would trade a first round pick... for a one year rental... for a guy who wouldn't even get us into the playoffs and would just leave us probably even further from getting an impact player in the draft?

That literally makes no sense for making the playoffs OR planning for the future.

L

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
About Knight... maybe Triano will get him to perform better so let's not shut the door on him just yet.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why trade any picks for short term results. There is no point.

There will be a young pg available with the Miami pick, and this is a deep draft, someone is going to slide. Trade picks? Sure, but for long term answers.

No sideways moves.

I understand that however if the Suns can improve their record and they're closer to the playoffs than they are to the bottom of the standing it wouldn't surprise me if they make a move with the playoffs in mind. What that would be is anyone's guess but I think it's safe to say our biggest need is at the PG position. With a good starter I think we'd be a playoff team right now, although it depends on how good of a fit that player is. If we had score first guard like Bledsoe, I don't think we'd be much higher in the standing than we are but if we had a distributor like Rondo, Rubio, or even someone who is more of distributor than scorer like Jeff Teague or George Hill we'd be close to 500.

I was looking at the assists leaders this year and there aren't many players averaging a high number. Only 1 guy is averaging 10 or more, Westbrook, with 3 averaging 9, Wall, Harden, and Lebron. The 5th overall is Draymond Green who is averaging 7.6 a game, which is great for a PF but that's low for #5 in the league. For comparison, last year the top 3 in the league averaged over 10 a game, while #4 and #5 averaged over 9 a game still.

Scoring is the same across the league and so are assists but it seems more teams are relying on other players to initiate their offense. For the Suns, Booker is the assist leader at 4.3 a game but a number of other teams have non-PG's leading them in assists as well like Golden State, Cleveland, and Boston. It's not just bad teams or good teams either with the Warriors, Cavs, 76'ers, Celtics, Nuggets, and Grizzlies all being teams who have non-PG's leading them in assists this season. It seems like playmaking is another thing changing in the modern "position-less" NBA.

Here is a link to view the league leaders for assists this season...
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/assists/sort/avgAssists

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you would trade a first round pick... for a one year rental... for a guy who wouldn't even get us into the playoffs and would just leave us probably even further from getting an impact player in the draft?

That literally makes no sense for making the playoffs OR planning for the future.

L

There are a lot of "What if's" included in what I suggested but again you just decided to ignore those and interpret it as negatively as possible. Just disregarding how I said that IF the Suns decided to make a playoff push at the deadline, I'd be ok with a deal for someone like Rubio. In the proposed trade I suggested it also involved unloading Knight's deal, which is a big plus now and later for the Suns. Not just in getting him off the books but also not having to find a role for him this summer or finding a team to take his contract. The pick suggested is a late 1st rounder, the Miami pick, which is currently 23rd overall and the chances of getting an impact player there are slim. Unloading Knight for pick is worth it by itself but bringing in a solid starting PG for the remainder of this season and next year would be a good move.

Your remarks about hurting our draft pick this year make no sense because the only way the team would make a move like that is if they think they can make it to the playoffs this season if they make a deal at the deadline to help them down the final stretch of the season. So it'd be something that the front office is planning on regardless, I just suggested a possible deal if they end up going that way. I said that's a move I'd be ok with and stated the reasons why.

As for Rubio, IF he helped this team then they could explore keeping him beyond next season but it depends on the fit. He wouldn't be on the books for very long so there is low risk in bringing him and trying it. If it's a good fit then the Suns could resign him, if it's not then he comes off the books at the same time that Chandler and Dudley do, opening up a ton of cap space at once. Rubio is only 27 and will be 28 after next season so he's young enough that he could fit with our core group of youngsters. His play style should allow him to play at the same level he has been, if not better, for the duration of his next contract though. Again, he's not a great scorer or shooter but he is a good defender and a great playmaker which would help the Suns and be an upgrade to what they currently have. He'd be a solid veteran to tutor a young PG they select this year since they won't have a top pick to add someone like Trey Young or Collin Sexton, who are the top PG prospects in this class and both are the most NBA ready. As seen with Ulis' regression, throwing a young PG out there can hurt their development and the team so giving them a year of playing under a quality player could help a young player learn a lot. I know this is just Ulis' second year but he wasn't meant to the starting PG this year and was thrust into that role coming off surgery over the summer. He didn't have a pass-first PG to learn from last year to help him learn but we can give that to the next PG we select if that's the way the team goes.

If he's not a good fit then they'll have 3 large contract expiring all once, which would give them around $40 million in cap space to go after a max free agent or possibly 2 that summer. They could add a few solid role players to fill out their roster also, they'd have a lot more options at that point and with how the team is playing and Booker is blossoming into a star it'd be easier to sell potential free agents on teaming up with Booker and the core in the summer of 2019 than it has been the last few offseasons. Booker should be a legit star by that point and everything other players in the league have said about him has been really positive, perhaps he could recruit someone and the prospect of playing with him and core entices someone enough that the Suns don't strike out in FA. Considering how they've improved last year to this and if they take another step next year it'll be easier to sell someone on joining the team then that it has been the last few years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose