2018 NBA Trade Deadline

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think many of you still don’t understand the tank. It isn’t telling players “go out and lose.” I actually think that’s illegal as it could lead to game fixing.

But how you can effectively tank? Parse out minutes judiciously. Sit key players with bumps and bruises. Rest veterans. Develop youth. You tank strategically not by telling players to lose.
Well, then, the Suns couldn't even get that right. Benching their Center and Point Guard last season, which led to the Bledsoe embarrassment at the beginning of this season. It was not thought out.

Most of Robert Sarver's team (including and especially the Front Office and coaching staff) doesn't know how to win and doesn't know how to lose gracefully.

That is the problem. No matter what they do, they do it badly. And have thus become the laughingstock of the NBA. It starts at the top because he hires everyone below him. And it flows downhill.

Your definition of successful tanking is, in theory, sound. But this team is too mis-managed to even pull that off.

It was one thing for Suns fans to witness the incompetence of Sterling running the Clippers. It is another thing to see it pervade our team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then how exactly do they plan on improving the roster through the end of the year like McD said in his last radio interview? There really aren't many options at this point beyond the buy-out market.

Better question is why would you want them to? What’s the difference in getting a buyout player who can maybe take them from 24-26 wins, accomplishing nothing but hurting our draft position?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Better question is why would you want them to? What’s the difference in getting a buyout player who can maybe take them from 24-26 wins, accomplishing nothing but hurting our draft position?

Yeah, I agree. I cannot imagine a scenario in which the Suns would pick up players who've been waived at this point.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many of us hoped Noah Vonleh would fall to the Suns in the 2014 draft. I'm guilty.

He didn't and Portland traded him to the Bulls for essentially cash considerations at the trade deadline.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wonder how many of us hoped Noah Vonleh would fall to the Suns in the 2014 draft. I'm guilty.

He didn't and Portland traded him to the Bulls for essentially cash considerations at the trade deadline.

Yes, Vonleh is a big-time disappointment. I also did like him very much in college and he probably will have a hard time next season to get a minimum NBA contract.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm starting to believe Chandler or Dudley might be on the blocks. BC put up that Payton article the other day and I believe McD said he wants to move the timeline up a year and play the free agency market. If that is the case AND he wants to keep Payton around AND stay under the salary cap that probably means he needs to move Chandler/Dudley by the trade deadline for expiring contracts. Now you might say they aren't that movable but if he were to throw in draft picks then it seems more feesible. I'm thinking Chandler has more value so maybe he gets by with using second rounders but one of our first rounders (heat or bucks pick) could be in play. Either that or package Chriss up with someone :rolleyes:

Just pure speculation on my part but if McD wants to play the free agency market then that seems like a way to go.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm starting to believe Chandler or Dudley might be on the blocks. BC put up that Payton article the other day and I believe McD said he wants to move the timeline up a year and play the free agency market. If that is the case AND he wants to keep Payton around AND stay under the salary cap that probably means he needs to move Chandler/Dudley by the trade deadline for expiring contracts. Now you might say they aren't that movable but if he were to throw in draft picks then it seems more feesible. I'm thinking Chandler has more value so maybe he gets by with using second rounders but one of our first rounders (heat or bucks pick) could be in play. Either that or package Chriss up with someone :rolleyes:

Just pure speculation on my part but if McD wants to play the free agency market then that seems like a way to go.

The trade deadline has past already. It was last Thursday. No deals until this summer

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There not worth anything but help in the locker room. And boy do the Suns need help after 40 point losses. Tank time is upon us now.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was listening to B-Train and Jureki's show on the way to work and they had LaCava on the program. He stated the Suns were involved in talks during the deadline with NO and the Clippers that would have sent Jordan to NO, Cousins to Phx, and some sort of compensation to the Clips. It would have been a risk with Cousins coming off an achilles and being a free agent.

Interesting and if true, I imagine that McDonough will target Cousins this offseason.

Having his Bird rights would have been huge and made it much easier to sign him and not have to renounce a bunch of rights.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was listening to B-Train and Jureki's show on the way to work and they had LaCava on the program. He stated the Suns were involved in talks during the deadline with NO and the Clippers that would have sent Jordan to NO, Cousins to Phx, and some sort of compensation to the Clips. It would have been a risk with Cousins coming off an achilles and being a free agent.

Interesting and if true, I imagine that McDonough will target Cousins this offseason.

Having his Bird rights would have been huge and made it much easier to sign him and not have to renounce a bunch of rights.
That is interesting. Although a huge risk coming off injury, maybe slightly less of a risk because he doesn’t rely solely on athleticism to be good.

Man if we had cousins and Payton under contract we could literally go anywhere in the draft position-wise

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is interesting. Although a huge risk coming off injury, maybe slightly less of a risk because he doesn’t rely solely on athleticism to be good.

Man if we had cousins and Payton under contract we could literally go anywhere in the draft position-wise

The irony is that we would have to renounce Payton's rights to clear his cap hold to sign Cousins, among other things. I imagine we'd have to pursue a sign and trade with NO.

If we wanted to sign him outright, we would have to waive all non-guaranteed contracts (Alan Williams, Ulis, and Reed) renounce rights to all free agents (Len and Payton), and likely waive/stretch either Chandler or Knight.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only way I see New Orleans agreeing to a sign & trade for Cousins would be if the Suns drafted a young big like Ayton, Bamba, or Jaren Jackson Jr to include in the deal. Probably Chandler, Dudley, whoever the Suns picked, and another first to make it work with salaries. I'm not a big fan of Cousins but admit he has a ton of talent but his injury scares me. The Suns wouldn't have their pick as a fall back. I'd rather wait to see how their pick develops instead of gambling on Cousins whose return date is up in the air and will demand close to $30 million a year.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The only way I see New Orleans agreeing to a sign & trade for Cousins would be if the Suns drafted a young big like Ayton, Bamba, or Jaren Jackson Jr to include in the deal. Probably Chandler, Dudley, whoever the Suns picked, and another first to make it work with salaries. I'm not a big fan of Cousins but admit he has a ton of talent but his injury scares me. The Suns wouldn't have their pick as a fall back. I'd rather wait to see how their pick develops instead of gambling on Cousins whose return date is up in the air and will demand close to $30 million a year.

I wouldn't do that because the injury scares me, but I do remember rationalizing once that I wouldn't trade a top 3 pick in 2015 for Cousins because Jahlil Okafor is the same guy but younger and with a better attitude...so what do I know...hahaha