2018 NBA Trade Deadline

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Suns in talks with teams about Chriss. Lakers significantly.

Reading between the lines here. Word is that the Lakers want to go big in free agency this summer (PG, LeBron maybe). To do that, Randle is a problem. He is a RFA and they really cannot afford to invest big money in him. Chriss is a young player that is tied up for a while and has potential. McD likes to trade for pending RFA's. Kinda makes sense.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers don't own their own pick this season. I'd think if they're trading Chriss they're looking to get a pick in return. Of course getting a young player like Randle would be interesting but he is a RFA so if he were to leave this summer they'd have nothing to show for trading Chriss away. I don't think it'd be wise to sign Randle to a big money contract this summer if another team tried to lure him away with a large contract they don't expect will be matched.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I know that Chriss has been mainly a disappointment this year, but the Suns will regret it if they give up on him now. If they want to go after Randle, fine, but not at the cost of Chriss. If those two end up battling each other for minutes, so much the better.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dudley responded to an article that said the Suns are shopping him and Chandler on Twitter by claiming it's fake news.

You must be registered for see images attach

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers don't own their own pick this season. I'd think if they're trading Chriss they're looking to get a pick in return. Of course getting a young player like Randle would be interesting but he is a RFA so if he were to leave this summer they'd have nothing to show for trading Chriss away. I don't think it'd be wise to sign Randle to a big money contract this summer if another team tried to lure him away with a large contract they don't expect will be matched.
And for the very reasons you mentioned, the Lakers are not going to get a pick. Actually. I don't think they care much for a pick this summer. Free agency is their focus. I think they really believe they can get LeBron.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know that Chriss has been mainly a disappointment this year, but the Suns will regret it if they give up on him now. If they want to go after Randle, fine, but not at the cost of Chriss. If those two end up battling each other for minutes, so much the better.
That may be, but I wonder if they are getting fed up with his attitude.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just listening to McD on Burns and Gambo. Said he has had no talks with anyone about Chriss. Said that they are not really interested in trading any of the young core. Said they are thin at pg and would like to address that need, but for a younger player (28 or younger). Intimated that they might trade a vet player to meet that need.

Did say that big offers can come along but they aren’t out there trying to deal one of their young players.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just listening to McD on Burns and Gambo. Said he has had no talks with anyone about Chriss. Said that they are not really interested in trading any of the young core. Said they are thin at pg and would like to address that need, but for a younger player (28 or younger). Intimated that they might trade a vet player to meet that need.

Did say that big offers can come along but they aren’t out there trying to deal one of their young players.
No bandaids!!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see the Suns kicking the tires on a young player for a second round pick(s) or using it to facilitate a trade with Chandler or Dudley.

Wonder if the Suns have any interest in Emmanuel Mudiay.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder if the Celtics would be interested in Daniels. He gives them scoring and he is signed through next season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do need a pg though. Names floating around right now that meet McD's specs. Dinwiddie, Kemba who else?

sigh... Kemba does NOT meet the timeline plan and getting a high pick while keeping the cap clean.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Has the Suns concept of players battling each other for playing time over the past few years led to anything positive?

Three lead Point Guards fighting for minutes. Three Centers fighting for the lead job. Chriss and Bender fighting for the Power Forward job all season long.

My reaction is that it has not led to anything positive. Even worse, it has led to is indecision and lack of team chemistry. I don't see how any professional team would allow itself to give such low priority to the need to build team chemistry. Whether on a roster or in a company or in a marriage, when has "battling each other" internally ever led to positive results in the long run?

The season is half over and the Suns don't have any more of a plan now than they did at the start of the season. Preceded by a Head Coach firing during the first two weeks then another interim Head Coach, who has said he doesn't want the job next season. And having to give away our "star" Point Guard due lack of communications following his benching for a third of the previous season.

And now, our new star and top scorer has to be Point Guard by default. Is it a coincidence that a 20-year old (as great as he is) suddenly playing out of position has resulted in various injuries? Yeah, it's default alright. 'Default' of the incompetence of the owner and Front Office to do their jobs. Overextending players leads to fatigue (emotionally and physically) and that leads to injuries.

As a fan, I have seen enough of 'battling each other for minutes' all season long. I want to see a Front Office who knows how to assemble a balanced roster with players worthy of starting consistently. And a Head Coach who wants to be in the job next season and makes decisions that he'll have to live with. Jay Triano is a good guy, but his commitment is clearly for this season. Who can blame him?

The words that comes to mind are dysfunctional management team. One that sets a low ceiling for our players. Let's not bring another player on board for another internal 'battle'. 'Battle' infers a winner and a loser. I'd like to see our team have a 'win-win' mentality in the locker room and on the court. Competition, yeah. Battles, no. Chemistry, needed.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Has the Suns concept of players battling each other for playing time over the past few years led to anything positive?

Three lead Point Guards fighting for minutes. Three Centers fighting for the lead job. Chriss and Bender fighting for the Power Forward job all season long.

My reaction is that it has not led to anything positive. Even worse, it has led to is indecision and lack of team chemistry. I don't see how any professional team would allow itself to give such low priority to the need to build team chemistry. Whether on a roster or in a company or in a marriage, when has "battling each other" internally ever led to positive results in the long run?

The season is half over and the Suns don't have any more of a plan now than they did at the start of the season. Preceded by a Head Coach firing during the first two weeks then another interim Head Coach, who has said he doesn't want the job next season. And having to give away our "star" Point Guard due lack of communications following his benching for a third of the previous season.

And now, our new star and top scorer has to be Point Guard by default. Is it a coincidence that a 20-year old (as great as he is) suddenly playing out of position has resulted in various injuries? Yeah, it's default alright. 'Default' of the incompetence of the owner and Front Office to do their jobs. Overextending players leads to fatigue (emotionally and physically) and that leads to injuries.

As a fan, I have seen enough of 'battling each other for minutes' all season long. I want to see a Front Office who knows how to assemble a balanced roster with players worthy of starting consistently. And a Head Coach who wants to be in the job next season and makes decisions that he'll have to live with. Jay Triano is a good guy, but his commitment is clearly for this season. Who can blame him?

The words that comes to mind are dysfunctional management team. One that sets a low ceiling for our players. Let's not bring another player on board for another internal 'battle'. 'Battle' infers a winner and a loser. I'd like to see our team have a 'win-win' mentality in the locker room and on the court. Competition, yeah. Battles, no. Chemistry, needed.

You make some valid points BC but our team is extremely young. We need to evaluate and cultivate talent. No better time IMO because this team isn't going anywhere.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You make some valid points BC but our team is extremely young. We need to evaluate and cultivate talent. No better time IMO because this team isn't going anywhere.
You're right. But I'd rather see 10-game evaluations, for example, of combinations, rather than every day a new beginning. Evaluating team defense, rebounding, assists-to-turnovers. It is a team sport.

Errntknght

Reaction score
We do need a pg though. Names floating around right now that meet McD's specs. Dinwiddie, Kemba who else?

There are number of good young PGs around the league: Tyus Jones, Minnie; Delon Wright and Fred Vanvleet, Tor; Shelvin Mack, Orl; Jerian Grant, Chi; T.J.McConnell, Phil; Shabazz Napier. Portland. I'd say none of these fellows are unrecognized by their own teams but they all have solid vets ahead of them so they'd probably love a chance to start. Toronto with 2 in this status might be the most willing trade partner and they may be under financial pressure, too. McConnell doesn't get a lot of respect but I like him for us - he's very efficient shooting and ATO > 2. They've got Ben Simmons who's their lead PG, Jaryd Bayless, Larry Drew and Fultz besides TJ. Another possibility is the one of these teams drafts a high profile PG this year. If Brooklyn, say, drafted Doncic they might let go of Dinwiddie. Chi and Orlando are possibilities this year as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts.

Could a trade be in the works for Chandler or someone else? The Suns played so poorly against the Spurs. The team looked totally distracted.

Another thought coming out of the Spurs game, I hope the Suns do not do any off the wall trades that will hurt their plans this summer.

There could be a lot of pressure on McDonough to do something major tomorrow after this scorching loss. Hope the Suns keep their powder dry other than perhaps a minor trade.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
A few thoughts.

Could a trade be in the works for Chandler or someone else? The Suns played so poorly against the Spurs. The team looked totally distracted.

Another thought coming out of the Spurs game, I hope the Suns do not do any off the wall trades that will hurt their plans this summer.

There could be a lot of pressure on McDonough to do something major tomorrow after this scorching loss. Hope the Suns keep their powder dry other than perhaps a minor trade.
I understand your reaction. But I would rather look at specifics than generalize. If we have a chance to get a mid-career Point Guard or Center, should we turn our back on it?

Stretching Booker thin as our new Point Guard or trying our disappointing young Power Forwards at Center are acts of desperation.

The easy answer is to go with the flow and hope we do well in the draft. But there is a half a season to go and a lot more damage can be done. Injuries are a sign of playing people out of position or in rotations, on and off, that are new to them.

The question is ... are the people in charge capable of any of this? If not, it doesn't matter. And, by the way, their 'plans' this summer are 'hopes' this summer. Passive leadership. No one is in control of the big picture.

This whole crew, from top to bottom except for DBook and, to a lesser degree, TJ Warren, is not NBA calibre. And, as we saw vs. the Spurs, it is getting more ridiculous game by game. Despite what Mick Jagger sang, time is not on our side. :)

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns may look to add a point guard today in a minor deal.

Emmanuel Mudiay would be a nice addition for second round picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Milwaukee pick and Daniels for Smart would be my preference if a 2nd rd pick can't get it done.

I wouldn't be opposed to it but my concern is would the Suns be able to keep him as he is a RFA next season.

However, the Celtics would make out like bandits in this trade. Hopefully the Suns could get it done for Daniels and some second round picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Further confirmation the Suns will acquire a PG.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payton might be an option as well Mudiay for second round picks.

As discussed Smart might fit but he would cost more assets.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison