2018 NBA Trade Deadline

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Wojnarowski.

Some teams will be waiting for free agents to fill needs.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account@wojespn

Several teams tell ESPN that they're already easing out of the trade market today to focus on filling needs with what is expected to be a strong post-deadline pool of free agents in the buyout market.

This might make the trade market easier for the Suns to acquire a player via trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing happening with Len... at least at the moment.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just for the fun of it, I wonder if the Knicks would trade Porzingis.

He couldn't be touched not so long ago... maybe he still is.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Milwaukee pick and Daniels for Smart would be my preference if a 2nd rd pick can't get it done.
I am interested in Smart. He would bring a defensive intensity this team needs. I am not sure I want to give up that much though. I dont think we should have to. Ainge owes us for giving him Moose.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A little surprised that Cleveland traded Frye. I read a week ago about how they weren't planning on trading him any longer because he was the key person holding the team together in the locker room as a veteran leader. I guess since they traded half of their team though they felt he wasn't necessary anymore. They traded away IT, Rose, Wade, Shumpert, Crowder, and Frye. I know IT was said to be one of the issues with chemistry there but that's a lot of moves to make for a team that is supposed to be a legit contender. They did get George Hill, Rodney Hood, Jordan Clarkson, and Larry Nance Jr but I don't think they got as much talent as they sent away. Of course the talent they sent away hasn't fit well with Lebron. I'm surprised they sent Wade away in a deal where they didn't get anything worthwhile in return.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thought this was interesting, it's an article by the New York Post that tries to explain why the Knicks chose to trade for Mudiay instead of Payton. The only point they really bring up is that Mudiay has another year on his contract while Payton will be a free agent this summer and with Porzingis out for the remainder of the year they didn't want to gamble on resigning Payton without seeing him play with Porzingis but they'll be able to evaluate Mudiay with him next season. It also says that Mudiay is a better defender based on advanced stats but doesn't actually state any. It seems like a fluff piece to sell Knicks fans on the trade they made rather than the trade they could have made but it doesn't do a very good job at that.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/08/why-knicks-picked-emmanuel-mudiay-over-elfrid-payton/

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like the addition. If PHX can’t get an upgrade (Trae Young) then they could pick up Payton’s option so he’s a nice back up plan unless he balls out the second half of the season. He is a good all around PG, if he continues to improve as a shooter he can become one of the better PGs in the NBA. I like the fact that he even plays defense. Plus he’s only 23 years old so he definitely fits the timeline if he works out.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I like the addition. If PHX can’t get an upgrade (Trae Young) then they could pick up Payton’s option so he’s a nice back up plan unless he balls out the second half of the season. He is a good all around PG, if he continues to improve as a shooter he can become one of the better PGs in the NBA. I like the fact that he even plays defense. Plus he’s only 23 years old so he definitely fits the timeline if he works out.

The problem is that he apparently doesn't play defense. He had a reputation as a good defender, but in doing some digging around, he really doesn't appear to have played defense in Orlando.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The problem is that he apparently doesn't play defense. He had a reputation as a good defender, but in doing some digging around, he really doesn't appear to have played defense in Orlando.
In reading the write up on him that someone posted it seems his defensive issues are inflated primarily with the Magic’s three point defense blowing up when he’s on the court. But the article basically pointed out that given statistical analysis this was most likely an anomaly rather than directly related to Elfrid. That said they didn’t Ben try to make an argument that was a GOOD defender, just that perhaps he’s not as bad as his defensive advances metrics paint him to be. At least that’s what o took from the article. I guess we will all have the eye test to rely upon moving forward.

Personally I like the fact that his scoring and shooting percentages have all gotten better every year, even if only incrementally. And in instances where they haven’t (3 point percentage has bumped up and down and assists relatively consistent) at least they are currently residing at good numbers and haven’t gone down in the near term. He’s also a very good finisher in the paint and seems to know his limitations (he only shoots 1.5 3 pointers per game and majority of shots are at the rim) which can’t be said for a lot of young players.

All that said, I hope he doesn’t win any games for us this year but shows enough promise that he can be a building block.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he cuts his hair, he will bet an extra $5 million in free agency.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
All that said, I hope he doesn’t win any games for us this year but shows enough promise that he can be a building block.
Physically, that is possible. Emotionally, I sincerely don't think that philosophy is going to make us winners. It is a real conundrum.

Play the second half of this season with a loser's mentality, but then, poof, you better lead us (as Point Guard) to the promised land next season.

I have never seen how playing mind games like that have led to success.

But then, our leadership (and their history of gimmicks) are dysfunctional. I guess that, whenever you are so bad, anything is an improvement.

Maybe we can pay Warren and Payton extra to kidnap Server during the off-season and lock him in a closet somewhere in Ethiopia. Yeah, that's the ticket. :) Ooh, I like that idea!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Physically, that is possible. Emotionally, I sincerely don't think that philosophy is going to make us winners. It is a real conundrum.

Play the second half of this season with a loser's mentality, but then, poof, you better lead us (as Point Guard) to the promised land next season.

I have never seen how playing mind games like that have led to success.

But then, our leadership (and their history of gimmicks) are dysfunctional. I guess that, whenever you are so bad, anything is an improvement.

Maybe we can pay Warren and Payton extra to kidnap Server during the off-season and lock him in a closet somewhere in Ethiopia. Yeah, that's the ticket. :) Ooh, I like that idea!
Well. its a good thing we are way past half way. Only 26 games left. We have injuries and our competition from here out is tough. Also, the other teams with worse records than us have fairly easy schedules and play one another alot. Teams do not seem to be tanking as hard this year. Its a draft with 7-8 really good players, so tanking hard is not so necessary.

Play hard. Play better. Compete. Let the chips fall where they will.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well. its a good thing we are way past half way. Only 26 games left. We have injuries and our competition from here out is tough. Also, the other teams with worse records than us have fairly easy schedules and play one another alot. Teams do not seem to be tanking as hard this year. Its a draft with 7-8 really good players, so tanking hard is not so necessary.

Tanking hard is not, but improving our chances of getting #1 and therefore more possibilities of trading down is important. Even more important are scouting and talent evaluation.

This draft seem to give the best chance of acquiring another franchise player(s) in the foreseable future.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think many of you still don’t understand the tank. It isn’t telling players “go out and lose.” I actually think that’s illegal as it could lead to game fixing.

But how you can effectively tank? Parse out minutes judiciously. Sit key players with bumps and bruises. Rest veterans. Develop youth. You tank strategically not by telling players to lose.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think many of you still don’t understand the tank. It isn’t telling players “go out and lose.” I actually think that’s illegal as it could lead to game fixing.

But how you can effectively tank? Parse out minutes judiciously. Sit key players with bumps and bruises. Rest veterans. Develop youth. You tank strategically not by telling players to lose.

Yeah right. Plus trade players that don't fit into our future... although that's mostly been done at this point.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns will not be involved in the buyout market.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns will not be involved in the buyout market.

Then how exactly do they plan on improving the roster through the end of the year like McD said in his last radio interview? There really aren't many options at this point beyond the buy-out market.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then how exactly do they plan on improving the roster through the end of the year like McD said in his last radio interview? There really aren't many options at this point beyond the buy-out market.

Maybe they look at Lavoy Allen or someone else in the G-League or a European like Mike James. :D

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison