2018 Cardinals' Offensive Line

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s correct, Oc75. I mean, it’s probably not a great year for offensive tackles in the draft but I don’t think it’s bad either. In my opinion, there are four who could get selected in the first round, and five others that are valuable enough to get picked before the end of the fourth round. Most likely that won't happen, but I don't think it will be because of a lack of talent from those guys.

Now, there is the issue about how their playing style in college translates to the NFL but as we have seen multiple times in the last couple of years, it can be done.
we are very forstunate in that this draft is deep where we need it to be deep... QB, WR, and Oline... there is only one..perhaps 2...LT's who are not long term projects... but there are five or six guys who can probably start at RT in their rookie year... there are also C/G prospects who can be had in the third round that may well start on day one... there are also WR's who will start on day one that can be picked as late as the third round.... it is quite possible three of our top four picks will be starting on opening day...or at least getting significant playing time.... it helps them develop as well as making our team "younger" as many feel we need to do.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Have to figure out the QB position first before making any major cuts/additions to the OL we already have.

BA went with the pocket passer QB who settled in his 'spot' in order to launch. This reduces the burden on the OL in passing situations because they know they have a limited area to defend to keep the QB safe. You can get by with less agile guys along the line as long as they can react sufficiently to defend a pocket. That aids the running game because you can get bigger guys who can open holes but who are still mobile enough for that pocket protection.

If Cards go with a different style QB it will change the demands on the type of OL to start. If we are 'run heavy' as our new HC has stated, then some of the big dinosaurs we already have can still work and be replaced piece-by-piece. Even Shipley graded out as a middle-of-the-pack C with his run blocking. Iupati, before his injuries, was also better at the run game. Most OL prefer to run block since it allows them to attack the D as compared to dancing back and setting up to pass block.

A mobile QB and a moving pocket will require more mobile and quicker OL who can react to a QB on the run. That style of QB will require large changes all along the line. Only DJHump looks to have that ability. The QB type the new coaches want will also determine the fit with college draftees.

If we go pocket passer QB, go with FAs who have performed in the traditional role in the NFL. If we go mobile, look for OL out of the college ranks with the quicks to defend a mobile guy.

We need to sort through the reserves to see who stays. I think Ship kept beating out Boehm because he was fluent with BAs playbook after time with BA in Indy and then here. With almost zero reps during the season, Boehm didn't have the pad time on the line to learn the calls from the playbook. With a new playbook, all the guys are on page 1. Cards with their new staff get to open mini-camps early and we should get an idea who fits the new playbook.

Building the OL is vital. For several years, the Cowpies drafted OL in the 1st round. They did this rebuild and then drafted Prescott. I recall a draft where the Cowpies missed the playoffs because of their awful D and they still took a OL in the first round. After the slow rebuild, their run game exploded as a result and Prescott, who came in the fourth, had a solid wall before him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson