2018 Cardinals' Offensive Line

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I am very excited to see what new offensive line coach Ray Brown can do to upgrade and stabilize the Cardinals' front five.

Key Decisions:

* G Mike Iupati---he did have 15 starts in 2016, but had the worst year, grade-wise of his career, particularly in pass protection and he continued to suffer from neck stingers, which appear to be a lingering issue. This past year he came to camp lighter and in good shape, but suffered a season ending tricep and elbow injuries. He is due $19.5M over the next two years---the dead cap money on his contract is $3.4M, if he is released.

Decision: The Cardinals have to release him. Perhaps he could agree to a pay cut and be rejuvenated by Ray Brown. Not sure if Iupati would be amenable to that or whether he would just as soon retire.

* T Jared Veldheer---struggled for several games after making the switch to RT. He rebounded to have a couple good games at RT before switching back to LT where he was solid until he cracked his ankle and was lost for the last 3 games. He says he is eager to play again this year and shrugs off the day off he took during training camp to contemplate retirement. he is in the last year of his contract and this year he counts $10.2M on the cap. The dead cap money if the Cardinals release him is $3.25M.

Decision: Unless he is willing to take a reasonable pay cut, the Cardinals have to release him. The fact is, Veldheer has landed on season ending IR the past two seasons and has missed 11 games. His play has steadily regressed, although he rallied up before getting injured last year.

* C A.Q. Shipley---his situation is perhaps the most difficult for Steve Keim to address. Shipley has been a stalwart at C the past few years, staring all 32 games the past two seasons. While he shown strong leadership and has played through core injuries, he graded out as the #28 C this year at 45.8. Was ranked the #32 C in run blocking at 42.6 and the #15 C in pass pro at 70.6. With the Cardinals looking to emphasize running the football, Shipley lacks the athleticism and the power to be effective.

Decision: The Cardinals have to release him. They can add $1.7M to the cap after absorbing only $362K in dead money on his deal.

* G Alex Boone---he is a UFA and is coming off a highly inconsistent year, actually let's call it what is was, it was a poor year. His PFF grades: Overall---39.5 (#66G). Run blocking---35.1 (#71G). Pass blocking---47.2 (#48G). Boone had some very good moments, particularly in opening holes near the goal line on combo blocks. But, he's turning 31 this year and the level of his play has been steadily declining.

Decision: Move on.

Free Agency: What the Cardinals Should Do (imo)

With the releases of Iupati, Veldheer and Shipley the Cardinals would recover $6.3M + $6.9M + $1.7M = $14.9M on the 2018 cap.

While the temptation to try and sign All Pro LG Andrew Norwell (Panthers) would be great---Norwell is projected to make $12M a year and at that price tag the Cardinals would limit their ability to upgrade the OL across the board.

Therefore---how about using the $14.9M to add 3 UFAs:

1. LG Josh Sitton (31)---played through a bad ankle last year and still graded as the #5G at 86.0, per PFF. He says he still have a few prime years left. The Bears felt that $8M was too much. Chances are, Sitton could be signed for $5.6M a year on a 3 year deal.

2. RT Chris Hubbard (26)---he was the Steelers' prize utility T/G who many feel can be one of the better RTs in the NFL. A three year deal in the neighborhood of $6.2M a year should get it done.

3. RG Senio Kelemete (27)---he was the Saints' prize utility T/G who filled in admirably at guard and at LT when Andrus Peat was injured. Kelemete also could play center, if need be, he is that versatile. Paying him on a 3 year deal worth $3.1M a year would likely seal the deal.

Other UFAs to consider:

G Jack Mewhort (26-Colts)---solid player, good run blocker, but has missed 17 games in recent years.
G Josh Kline (28-Titans)---solid grades at RG.
G Zach Fulton (26-Chiefs)---again, solid starter.
C Weston Richburg (26-Giants)---talented, athletic C who is coming off concussion ending season.
C Spencer Long (27-Redskins)---could be a steal, just coming into his own.

Returning Starter:

LT D.J. Humphries
---injuries remain a concern and have hampered what has appeared to be DJH's steady and impressive development.

Depth/Possible Starters:

T/G John Wetzel
(ERFA)---has started 17 games the past two seasons at LT, RT and RG. Moves the pile in the running game, excellent downfield blocker on screens and draws. Starting to show better hand placement and steering ability in pass pro.

T/G Will Holden---2017 5th round pick started the last 3 games at LT and showed flashes of promise. Needs to add strength and better technique in run blocking and better footwork in pass pro.

C/G Evan Boehm---2016 4th round pick, started at RD early in the season, but struggled and then returned to action late. Has yet to be tried at center, his natural position. Plays with good strength and leverage, but needs to improve his footwork.

C/G Daniel Munyer---coaches really liked what they saw from him in the pre-season. has the athleticism and footwork to be an effective pivot, although he lacks ideal size.

C/G Max Tuerk---former Chargers' 2016 3rd round pick (taken by Mike McCoy) who is angular and athletic. Needs to add muscle weight.

G/T Earl Watford (UFA)---could once again be a valuable utility G/T if they re-sign him at or near the veteran minimum.

Signing Norwell:

if the Cardinals decide they want the All Pro LG to be the leader of a revamped line, then it would makes sense to add a couple of good OL in the draft such as:

Tackles (top 6 on Mel Kiper's big board):

1. *Kolton Miller, UCLA
2. *Orlando Brown, Oklahoma
3. Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame
4. *Connor Williams, Texas
5. *Geron Christian, Louisville
6. Martinas Rankin, Mississippi State

Guards:

1. *Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame
2. Isaiah Wynn, Georgia
3. Austin Corbett, Nevada
4. Will Hernandez, UTEP
5. Braden Smith, Auburn
6. *Sam Jones, Arizona State

Centers:

1. *James Daniels, Iowa
2. Billy Price, Ohio State
3. Frank Ragnow, Arkansas
4. Mason Cole, Michigan
5. *Will Clapp, LSU
6. Scott Quessenberry, UCLA

This is a deep draft for offensive linemen. The Cardinals could draft one or two immediate starters. My favorites are: G Quenton Nelson (Notre Dame), T Mike McGlinchy (Notre Dame), G/C Isaiah Wynn (Georgia), C James Daniels (iowa); G Will Hernandez (UTEP), C Billy Price (Ohio St.), C Frank Ragnow (Arkansas) and T Martinas Rankin (Mississippi St.).

While the Cardinals will likely draft a QB in round 1, being able to use of the their 3 Day 2 picks on one of the following would be fantastic: Wynn, Daniels, Hernandez, Price, Ragnow and Rankin. In my opinion, all of the players are plug and play starters.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Mitch, I think you need to add some more to your analysis as to what are some of the possible solutions. At this point you are suggesting dumping 5 guys or half the Oline the team presently has and all the starters at that.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You'd better hope we pick up an FA quarterback then, if you want to rebuild the O Line through the draft.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With the draft and FA OT market really down I would hold on to Veldeer. The draft especially is really deep for interior lineman, so I would push for a pay cut from Iupati and let the Shipley sail. I wouldn't mind Boone returning on a very cheap deal, otherwise sign a midlevel OG in FA and draft two interior OL in the first five rounds.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can’t remember where I heard it but some NFL coach was saying that OL guys coming out of college now aren’t NFL ready due to the scheme differences between the NFL and College games. With that said I am now wondering if it’s best to get OL through FA who have shown to be solid or better in the NFL i.e. Norwell.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mitch, I think you need to add some more to your analysis as to what are some of the possible solutions. At this point you are suggesting dumping 5 guys or half the Oline the team presently has and all the starters at that.

I was adding to the thread as I was writing it, cardpa. It's all set now. Would love to know your (and everyone's) thoughts.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If they could get a Foles deal done for a 2nd Rd. Pick and a pick next year, that would really help us draft a legit young RT to go along with Humphries. McGlinchey is slated for the left side, but he would be great insurance if Humphries can't stay on the field. Hooefully he could handle the right side initially.

Agree that Iupati, Shipley and Veldheer need to go and start anew in FA. The Rams front 4 looms large. The interior has to be addressed in FA.

Otherwise get the vet QB in FA and draft a G/C in the 2nd.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yikes. Thanks for putting this together, Mitch. I'd been so myopically focused on the QB position that I didn't even realize how much money we could save by moving on from some of these guys.

Veldheer really has us over a barrel. Cut him, and he gets his guaranteed money and can retire. Otherwise, he plays one more year at a costly number. But can we easily replace him? I don't know.

I agree that we need to get Iupati to restructure. If he doesn't, I'm going to be very reluctant to cut him. I know he's slid a little, and has been injured, but are we really going to be able to replace almost all of the O-Line? I'm content bringing back Boone for another year. Even though he's not the best, he was more solid than the other dreck we put out there. And I'd really like to get Boehm a true shot at starting at Center.

This makes our bust of a 4th round pick from last year even more glaring. We're caught without options now.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can’t remember where I heard it but some NFL coach was saying that OL guys coming out of college now aren’t NFL ready due to the scheme differences between the NFL and College games. With that said I am now wondering if it’s best to get OL through FA who have shown to be solid or better in the NFL i.e. Norwell.

Pretty much. It used to be O line was a solid "safe" pick now it's a total crap shoot

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pretty much. It used to be O line was a solid "safe" pick now it's a total crap shoot

I'd almost prioritize skill position guys like WR, RB, over 0-line in the draft, these days, then spend on quality in FA. Maybe draft project guys in the bottom half of the draft. Especially if they've played in pro-style systems.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
there are still some olinemen who are pro ready... much of it depends on what program they come from.

Cutting JV is a mistake... but I would be all for extending him...maybe 3 years 24 mil... there are no OT's available who are better than him...and he has tons of value considering DJH has not completed a season.

Mike Iupati has never been a good pass blocker,...even when we signed him run blocking was his forte...IMO..guys who play on the blind side need to be better pass protectors than run blockers..

cost+effectiveness+availability= Mike Iupati needs to go

I like Earl Watford... he is a guy who suffered from our lack of quality line coaching and regressed in his time with us... I think this new staff can make a quality starter out of Earl... I liked Max Tuerk in the draft....he could also be a strong asset for our future

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We will have no line?
Well let's just say that we'd be blowing up 60% of our O-line.

Pretty risky. One way to mitigate the risk would be to adhere to the principle that we not let go of any of these guys unless we've already secured a suitable replacement.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For me the right way to the O-line should be:

Restructure or Trade Iupati if not possible cut him.
extend JV to a reasonable contract
Cut AJ Shipley and sign Spencer long or stay with Tuerk/Boehm as C
Draft RG in the 3rd round
Sign Sitton at LG

That would make a O-line of:
Hump - Sitton - Spencer/Tuerk/Boehm - Rookie -JV

That would make a quite cheap but average O-line that could be even above average, clearly with the purpose to spend money on other spots that need help too. (ILB/CB2/FB/TE/WR/QB)

At the End we will have to sign a QB for 8-15 mio $ even with 22 Mio$ + 8-11 Mio $ we still have only 30-33 Mio$

Signing Sitton+Spencer would cost 11-12 Mio maybe signing only Sitton only 6 but still.

18-27 Mio $ isn't that much with a QB costing 8-15 you have 3-19 Mio $ for every other person and the draft.

So for me, signing a QB on the cheap, drafting one you like and falls to you and drafting O-line late and skill position and G maybe even a C in the later rounds would be the best way to go.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Nice write up again Mitch! I really don't think we can get rid of Veldheer. There isn't anyone else to get unless we use our first round pick on McGlinchey and I have us trading up to get Baker Mayfield in the top ten. I think we have to go after Andrew Norwell to be our LG. Maybe we can sign him to a 10 mil a year deal if we make most of the money guaranteed. I would then trade up in the second round to make sure we get Will Hernandez. We then start Evan Boehm at center. Our line then looks like this.
LT DJ Humphries
LG Andrew Norwell
C Evan Boehm
RG Will Hernandez
RT Jared Veldheer

We are only paying two guys top money. The other three are cheap which is very doable. We worry about a right tackle to replace Veldheer in next years draft. We will have plenty of money because we won't be spending any on a quarterback. Mayfield will be on a cheap rookie deal.

Reaction score
I think if our line is healthy we can go with what we have with the exception of replacing Shipley. If we determine Iupati is healthy then restructure his contract. If not let him go & pursue Norwell. We should be good with DJ & Veldheer on the corners. Just need a little improvement in the interior. A healthy Iupati provides that. Watford for the RG. Keep Wetzel as a back up.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Veldheer really has us over a barrel. Cut him, and he gets his guaranteed money and can retire. Otherwise, he plays one more year at a costly number. But can we easily replace him? I don't know.

If they cut JV the cards would not owe him any money. I like the idea of signing him to an extension/new contract. One that is more team friendly, but gives him the guarantees that player covet.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Problem with Veldheer was he wasn't ready to go last year. His slow start really helped put the team behind the 8 ball after the DJ injury. That's when they really meeded him to step up. It took him more then half the year to turn things around.

If we can't replace him, well let him earn it this year, but he needs to be pushed, imo.
Scheme and New coaches may help the situation.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
We will have no line?
Let’s not act like they played well as a unit!

Most QB hits given up in the NFL & the sacks were 4th worst! Ugh

I still say it all starts with the center regardless of what some say about Shipley being one of a putrid units better players.

Wellthatsjustfine

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nice write up again Mitch! I really don't think we can get rid of Veldheer. There isn't anyone else to get unless we use our first round pick on McGlinchey and I have us trading up to get Baker Mayfield in the top ten. I think we have to go after Andrew Norwell to be our LG. Maybe we can sign him to a 10 mil a year deal if we make most of the money guaranteed. I would then trade up in the second round to make sure we get Will Hernandez. We then start Evan Boehm at center. Our line then looks like this.
LT DJ Humphries
LG Andrew Norwell
C Evan Boehm
RG Will Hernandez
RT Jared Veldheer

We are only paying two guys top money. The other three are cheap which is very doable. We worry about a right tackle to replace Veldheer in next years draft. We will have plenty of money because we won't be spending any on a quarterback. Mayfield will be on a cheap rookie deal.
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but if you’re trading into the top 10 to get Msyfield, you aren’t going to have a second round pick, let alone the ammo to move up in the second to take Hernandez.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson