2018 Cardinals' Offensive Line

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up again Mitch! I really don't think we can get rid of Veldheer. There isn't anyone else to get unless we use our first round pick on McGlinchey and I have us trading up to get Baker Mayfield in the top ten. I think we have to go after Andrew Norwell to be our LG. Maybe we can sign him to a 10 mil a year deal if we make most of the money guaranteed. I would then trade up in the second round to make sure we get Will Hernandez. We then start Evan Boehm at center. Our line then looks like this.
LT DJ Humphries
LG Andrew Norwell
C Evan Boehm
RG Will Hernandez
RT Jared Veldheer

We are only paying two guys top money. The other three are cheap which is very doable. We worry about a right tackle to replace Veldheer in next years draft. We will have plenty of money because we won't be spending any on a quarterback. Mayfield will be on a cheap rookie deal.
If we could add a couple of depth pieces such as Jemarco Jones and Mason Cole to that unit we’d be set. Jones would probably see a lot of action with Humphries & Veldheer’s injury issues but he has the potential to replace either if necessary.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Given the difficulty in finding pro-ready OL in the draft, and the fact that we may need to move up for a QB, I favor going hard after quality OL in FA. That said, let's not spend a ton of $$$ on a FA QB that's not going to be anywhere near a QBOF--let's get a cheap bridge QB.

+1

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Cutting Iupati is a no-brainer IMO. It saves $6.3 in salary cap space which can used to sign Andrew Norwell. I'd keep Veldheer though.

Thanks for the analysis Mitch. Always appreciate your insights.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
LT: Humphrey
LG: Iupati (restructured)
C : Boehm
RG: Boone (draft pick)
RT: Veldeer (extended)
I’m not sold that will be the starting 5 in week 1. Lots of $$$ & bad productivity particularly in pass pro. Let’s not forget Veldheer struggled at RT

If you do what you always do, you get what you always got! :mrgreen:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but if you’re trading into the top 10 to get Msyfield, you aren’t going to have a second round pick, let alone the ammo to move up in the second to take Hernandez.
I would be trading our 1st and the Badger or our 1st, 3rd and a 2nd next year to get in the 6 to 9 range. If Mayfield goes in the top five then I stay at 15 and take Mason Rudolph.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Iupati is such a huge mystery at this point. Ater all the weight he lost, I was really optimistic about him last year. If you chock up his tricep injury to a random accident olineman are prone to have, then his ceiling still seems pretty high. On the other hand, the floor seems really low as well. He could be done. I wonder how much access the Cardinals will have to him before making any kind of decision?

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Iupati is such a huge mystery at this point. Ater all the weight he lost, I was really optimistic about him last year. If you chock up his tricep injury to a random accident olineman are prone to have, then his ceiling still seems pretty high. On the other hand, the floor seems really low as well. He could be done. I wonder how much access the Cardinals will have to him before making any kind of decision?
If they do decide to keep him and give him another chance he will have to take a pay cut. It would be nice if he could come back healthy and play well, but the last two years have really hurt him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I actually wouldn't be mad about that line. If it stays healthy, I think it can be very solid.

Hump's still not altogether proven, both Iupati and Veldheer are old fogie has-been candidates, Boehm sucks and is a never-will-be, and Boone wasn't very good. That line wouldn't have one standout player, to me, nor hope of cohesion as a unit.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He's under contract and has probably done some of his rehab at the Cards facility.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hump's still not altogether proven, both Iupati and Veldheer are old fogie has-been candidates, Boehm sucks and is a never-will-be, and Boone wasn't very good. That line wouldn't have one standout player, to me, nor hope of cohesion as a unit.

Iupati and Veldeer are both 30. Hardly "fogie or has been" territory for O-linemen.

We haven't seen Boehm at centre, yet.

Boone is a solid, unspectacular, vet.

People creating their fantasy O-line's may want to take the time to look at the "dead" money hits; the ever-growing cost of Lineman in FA... and that heavy new outlays on the O-line hamstrings possible investments in other areas of need.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Iupati and Veldeer are both 30. Hardly "fogie or has been" territory for O-linemen.

People creating their fantasy O-line's may want to take the time to look at the "dead" money hits; the ever-growing cost of Lineman in FA... and that heavy new outlays on the O-line hamstrings possible investments in other areas of need.

Iupati and Veldheer certainly played like old fogies, when healthy. Health is also an issue.

We haven't seen Boehm at center yet because he hasn't been good enough to beat out Shipley. Let that sink in, because it ain't good.

Boone might be alright were he the weak link in the line, not playing on a line of weak links.

No one expects us to go sign five all-pro OL. I'm just commenting on how bad we are at the position, currently. We have gaping holes there, at QB, and at RB. Our offense is in absolute shambles. Like, "I doubt we'll achieve even the barest competence to take pressure off our D" kind of shambles. IMO, it will probably take more than one offseason to fix it all.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Iupati and Veldheer certainly played like old fogies, when healthy. Health is also an issue.

We haven't seen Boehm at center yet because he hasn't been good enough to beat out Shipley. Let that sink in, because it ain't good.

Boone might be alright were he the weak link in the line, not playing on a line of weak links.

No one expects us to go sign five all-pro OL. I'm just commenting on how bad we are at the position, currently. We have gaping holes there, at QB, and at RB. Our offense is in absolute shambles. Like, "I doubt we'll achieve even the barest competence to take pressure off our D" kind of shambles. IMO, it will probably take more than one offseason to fix it all.

I have to agree here. Adding DJ back gives me confidence. But then I realize who plays on OL and that optimism is gone..pssst. Anyways Cards will be lucky to put up average offense next season. Hope Keim knows what he is doing.

Reaction score

Veldheer on the left side is probably in the upper half of LT's in the league. He was playing a new position last year which took him a while to acclimated to. Muscle memory & all. I don't think anyone knows how Boehm is at center. It didn't seem like BA even had him play there in practice. For some reason they were set on playing Shipley. I think a top center would do wonders for the line. I would like to see what Boehm has at the position & also draft one.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Veldheer on the left side is probably in the upper half of LT's in the league. He was playing a new position last year which took him a while to acclimated to. Muscle memory & all. I don't think anyone knows how Boehm is at center. It didn't seem like BA even had him play there in practice. For some reason they were set on playing Shipley. I think a top center would do wonders for the line. I would like to see what Boehm has at the position & also draft one.
boehm played center in a couple pre season games and looked good... I think the biggest issue with BA was the offense... learning all the schemes and calls... old BA had a habit of being loyal to guys that knew his offense... shipley was the lines version of stanton.

at the very least I think we get to see a legit competition for center this off season...I dont think shipley can beat out both Boehm and Tuerk in a straight up competition...
I like tuerk but he is built more like an LT than a C... would be nice to see him stack on some muscle weight... I think he weighs in about 295 and thats kinda light for a center, especially at 6'6".... I have been all for grabbing Frank Ragnow in the third round.... I think between him, Boehm, and Tuerk...we can fill both Center and RG fairly well..... IMO RG is where you want your backup C... he is getting playing experience while also staying fresh on the reads since he sees basically what the C sees

Wellthatsjustfine

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would be trading our 1st and the Badger or our 1st, 3rd and a 2nd next year to get in the 6 to 9 range. If Mayfield goes in the top five then I stay at 15 and take Mason Rudolph.
Fair enough. Would have to be the second option though. If we wanted to trade the badger, we would pretty much have to pay somebody to take him and his contract.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unknown factor:

Will any of our O-linemen execute their assignments better under the tutilege of a different coaching staff while operating from a different playbook?

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With the draft and FA OT market really down I would hold on to Veldeer.

I don’t think that’s correct, Oc75. I mean, it’s probably not a great year for offensive tackles in the draft but I don’t think it’s bad either. In my opinion, there are four who could get selected in the first round, and five others that are valuable enough to get picked before the end of the fourth round. Most likely that won't happen, but I don't think it will be because of a lack of talent from those guys.

Now, there is the issue about how their playing style in college translates to the NFL but as we have seen multiple times in the last couple of years, it can be done.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

While there are other areas that require upgrades, if your fronts are bad it's going to be a long year. Two garbage wins after your eliminated didn't do anything to change what the priority needs to be. If we're not upgrading high in the draft we need a signing or two at least.

Iupati and Veldheer both underperformed while still healthy. Two others are b/u type linemen right this moment, imo.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Cardinals have already upgraded the offensive line by bringing in coach Ray Brown.

The path of least resistance is to stand pat with what they have and give the new regime a chance to work with them. But that will be second guessed as soon as somebody gets hurt.

What I believe the Cardinals are going to do is cut Iupati and designate him as a post June 1 release which will free up $8 million in cap space.

Releasing Veldheer frees up an additional $6.9 million. But neither of the Cardinals two capable left tackles are able to stay off of IR. I believe the Cardinals should retain Veldheer and hope one of their left tackles is still suiting up in December / January.

The center position has become deja vu all over again. Every year it was "we need an upgrade for Lyle Sendlein" and it was so far down the to do list that it didn't happen. Insert A.Q. Shipley for Sendlein.

IMO, it is take care of the guard positions this season and delay addressing tackles until next year.