2018 1st round pick is Josh Rosen

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ball velocity is everything. The only difference then for down the field throws is point of release and ball angle. Here is the comparison.

Rosen 59, Mayfield 60, Allen 62 (which is incredibly fast), Darnold did not throw.

The difference between 59 and 60 is negligible and right there with the best QB's in history.

Lets put it in perspective with last year.

2017 Mahommes 55, Tribusky 50, Watson 45.
2016 Lynch 59, Goff 58
2015 Mariotta 56, Winston 55
2014 Logan Thomas 60 (and everyone was shocked, it was a record), Bortles and Garropolo 56

Rosens release point is maybe one of the best ever. Throwing angle is a simple adjustment as is necessary. So there is no worry about his arm strength. It is fantastic.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
This was Keim's best move to date as the GM. Even if, for some reason, Rosen doesn't work out, which I doubt, the price he paid was minimal and very much worth it.

indeed

and my sense is that Rosen's floor is still quite high: Kirk Cousins lets say

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. All the talk about Rosen having a "mediocre" arm is garbage talking points. Go watch his games, he has plenty of arm strength. Less than Josh Allen? Sure. But above average as far as NFL QB's go. I'm ok if ppl want to hate his personality, have concerns about concussions etc, but he definitely has plenty of arm strength.
Ball velocity is everything. The only difference then for down the field throws is point of release and ball angle. Here is the comparison.

Rosen 59, Mayfield 60, Allen 62 (which is incredibly fast), Darnold did not throw.

The difference between 59 and 60 is negligible and right there with the best QB's in history.

Lets put it in perspective with last year.

2017 Mahommes 55, Tribusky 50, Watson 45.
2016 Lynch 59, Goff 58
2015 Mariotta 56, Winston 55
2014 Logan Thomas 60 (and everyone was shocked, it was a record), Bortles and Garropolo 56

Rosens release point is maybe one of the best ever. Throwing angle is a simple adjustment as is necessary. So there is no worry about his arm strength. It is fantastic.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hope some reporter out there finds out what exactly was the conversation at airport between Browns V.P. of player personnel Alonzo Highsmith, UCLA's volleyball coach and Rosen's girlfriend that led to Browns deciding to not take Rosen. May be it just Browns sending signals to their fans on why they had to settle on Mayfield. But intriguing

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-josh-rosen-something-about-him-bothered-me/

"....

“I was at an airport,” Highsmith said Monday at the Pro Football Hall of Fame Luncheon Club, via the Canton Repository. “UCLA’s volleyball team was in front of me. You heard so much about Rosen. He’s this or that. We all know how people talk.

“So I asked one of the volleyball coaches, ‘What’s Rosen like?’ He said, ‘Aaaa, you should probably ask his girlfriend. She’s one of the players. She’s over there.’

“I’m like, ‘All right coach. That’s good enough.’ . . . I don’t know what all this means, but there was something about him that bothered me.”

Surely, Highsmith based his conclusion on more than an airport encounter with a volleyball coach. The bottom line is that, after Highsmith and the Browns did all the work they needed to do, one o the team’s top executives sensed “something about [Rosen] that bothered [him].”.............
"

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
If it wasn't going to be Mayfield, then Rosen was probably the next best choice. He has a legitimate chance to be a cornerstone of the franchise, and that's really all you can ask for when drafting a QB. For there just to be a chance that they develop into a top three QB in the league.

Also, since we have Bradford, we don't have to fire the kid out there as the starter from day one. It's a perfect, perfect situation.

Great job Arizona Cardinals. My Beloveds.

Reaction score
I hope some reporter out there finds out what exactly was the conversation at airport between Browns V.P. of player personnel Alonzo Highsmith, UCLA's volleyball coach and Rosen's girlfriend that led to Browns deciding to not take Rosen. May be it just Browns sending signals to their fans on why they had to settle on Mayfield. But intriguing

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-josh-rosen-something-about-him-bothered-me/

"....

“I was at an airport,” Highsmith said Monday at the Pro Football Hall of Fame Luncheon Club, via the Canton Repository. “UCLA’s volleyball team was in front of me. You heard so much about Rosen. He’s this or that. We all know how people talk.

“So I asked one of the volleyball coaches, ‘What’s Rosen like?’ He said, ‘Aaaa, you should probably ask his girlfriend. She’s one of the players. She’s over there.’

“I’m like, ‘All right coach. That’s good enough.’ . . . I don’t know what all this means, but there was something about him that bothered me.”

Surely, Highsmith based his conclusion on more than an airport encounter with a volleyball coach. The bottom line is that, after Highsmith and the Browns did all the work they needed to do, one o the team’s top executives sensed “something about [Rosen] that bothered [him].”.............
"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...eld-changed-browns-mind-on-darnold/ar-AAwz18G

"Here's the honest to God's truth," he said. "From the start of this college football season to the end of the season, I had Darnold No. 1 and Baker No. 2, (Josh) Rosen No. 3, (Lamar) Jackson No. 4 and (Josh) Allen after that.

"On our way through everything, you couldn't tell me Darnold wasn't the best. I did all my evaluations of the season.

"Then comes the part where you meet them off the field. You watch their workouts. You watch everything. And Baker blew me away. Highly, highly intelligent. Highly competitive.

"And he had a trait that some of the good ones have. I call it efficacy. That includes the power to effect other people. I thought that of all the quarterbacks I watched, he stood out far and above the other guys. When he walked into a room, you knew he was there."

Every team looks for something different in a franchise quarterback, but most will rank leadership qualities and off-the-field intangibles pretty highly. They want a Tom Brady or Drew Brees - not a Johnny Manziel.

Darnold just didn't quite have that in the Browns' opinion. Then, with Rosen, Highsmith said that there was "something about (Rosen) that bothered" him. It doesn't take much to sway a team's opinion on a player, and Mayfield certainly made the right impression on the Browns front office.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

"....

"
Sounds like he didn’t speak with Rosen’s girlfriend at all! Just took that comment as negative and did nothing further. Weird.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like he didn’t speak with Rosen’s girlfriend at all! Just took that comment as negative and did nothing further. Weird.

LOL, this is the craziest thing I have heard. UCLA coach says ask his girlfriend. Browns VP of personnel, "That’s good enough".

No wonder the Browns are a laughing stock.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
LOL, this is the craziest thing I have heard. UCLA coach says ask his girlfriend. Browns VP of personnel, "That’s good enough".

No wonder the Browns are a laughing stock.
I just read this article online and was dumbfounded

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
its pretty simple really. we been hearing rumors for a year that neither Darnold nor Rosen wanted to play for cleveland. Lots of guys dont want to go to cleveland.

but Baker Mayfield asked for the job. he came out publicly and stated he wanted the job, he is the right guy for the job.........do you hire a guy who wants the job or a guy who will be embarrassed to work for your company?? all things being somewhat equal? While light on measurables Baker has arguably the best stats of all the QB's...and he wanted the job. It was a pretty easy decision I think,...especially when you consider Dorsey's fascination with "Moxie"

honest truth,... they have Todd Haley,..a dude known for having a severely abrasive personality... Rosen would have been ruined by Haley...perhaps Darnold as well... but Mayfield has a solid tank full of frig you in him and you can bet he and Haley are going to have some battles..... Haley had the soft spoken Kurt Warner screaming at the top of his lungs with veins popping out of his head... Mayfield will have a field day with that once the dam breaks...of course early on he is gonna suppress it, be a good little brown... but at some point he is gonna unload on Haley and from there its on. Both Rosen and Darnold have somewhat of that Laid Back California personality/attitude.... pretty sure that would have drove Todd Haley insane
It could actually work well for cleveland, Baker already has that chip,... Haley smack talkin him is just gonna piss him off and make him work harder....

Rosen and McCoy may be a match made in heaven as well. McCoy is a bit of a cerebral type person, a bit of a mad scientist with a white board. Rosen likes to ask questions and make sure he understands every possible scenario in a play...he likes to have the decision made in advance.... "if this happens, then do this....unless X, in which case go here".... There is no way Todd Haley was going to deal well with Rosens need to understand every facet of every offensive play. But I am pretty sure McCoy and Rosen will spend lots of hours just going over plays time and again discussing,..."why should I slip to the right before making that pass?" and " what should I be looking for if the safety drops down on this play" or "why should I make the outlet to the RB if this guy up here is open"

I think Rosen really did "luck out" and go to the best possible team for him as a rookie.

then you look to NYJ and Sam Darnold.. he will be learning from Josh McCown and OC Jeremy Bates. Bates is basically from the Mike Shanahan tree and did a lot of work with Jay Cutler in Denver and Chicago. Cutlers issues obviously were more personality related than football issues so Bates should do well with Darnold...and McCown has a rep for being a good guy to mentor young players. I wanted Darnold and I think he could have done well here. But the Jets is a much better situation for him than Cleveland... his laid back surfer boy demeanor would not have sat well with Todd Haley.

These three guys and Mason Rudolph all did well in which teams drafted them. Obviously Rudolph would have preferred to go sooner but Pittsburgh, sitting behind Ben for a season or two, is a great place for him to be. IMO all four of these are good organizational fits

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
its pretty simple really. we been hearing rumors for a year that neither Darnold nor Rosen wanted to play for cleveland. Lots of guys dont want to go to cleveland.

but Baker Mayfield asked for the job. he came out publicly and stated he wanted the job, he is the right guy for the job.........do you hire a guy who wants the job or a guy who will be embarrassed to work for your company?? all things being somewhat equal? While light on measurables Baker has arguably the best stats of all the QB's...and he wanted the job. It was a pretty easy decision I think,...especially when you consider Dorsey's fascination with "Moxie"

honest truth,... they have Todd Haley,..a dude known for having a severely abrasive personality... Rosen would have been ruined by Haley...perhaps Darnold as well... but Mayfield has a solid tank full of frig you in him and you can bet he and Haley are going to have some battles..... Haley had the soft spoken Kurt Warner screaming at the top of his lungs with veins popping out of his head... Mayfield will have a field day with that once the dam breaks...of course early on he is gonna suppress it, be a good little brown... but at some point he is gonna unload on Haley and from there its on. Both Rosen and Darnold have somewhat of that Laid Back California personality/attitude.... pretty sure that would have drove Todd Haley insane
It could actually work well for cleveland, Baker already has that chip,... Haley smack talkin him is just gonna piss him off and make him work harder....

Rosen and McCoy may be a match made in heaven as well. McCoy is a bit of a cerebral type person, a bit of a mad scientist with a white board. Rosen likes to ask questions and make sure he understands every possible scenario in a play...he likes to have the decision made in advance.... "if this happens, then do this....unless X, in which case go here".... There is no way Todd Haley was going to deal well with Rosens need to understand every facet of every offensive play. But I am pretty sure McCoy and Rosen will spend lots of hours just going over plays time and again discussing,..."why should I slip to the right before making that pass?" and " what should I be looking for if the safety drops down on this play" or "why should I make the outlet to the RB if this guy up here is open"

I think Rosen really did "luck out" and go to the best possible team for him as a rookie.

then you look to NYJ and Sam Darnold.. he will be learning from Josh McCown and OC Jeremy Bates. Bates is basically from the Mike Shanahan tree and did a lot of work with Jay Cutler in Denver and Chicago. Cutlers issues obviously were more personality related than football issues so Bates should do well with Darnold...and McCown has a rep for being a good guy to mentor young players. I wanted Darnold and I think he could have done well here. But the Jets is a much better situation for him than Cleveland... his laid back surfer boy demeanor would not have sat well with Todd Haley.

These three guys and Mason Rudolph all did well in which teams drafted them. Obviously Rudolph would have preferred to go sooner but Pittsburgh, sitting behind Ben for a season or two, is a great place for him to be. IMO all four of these are good organizational fits

Interesting read and some solid theories. I do think that each QB drafted ended up with the right team.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Interesting read and some solid theories. I do think that each QB drafted ended up with the right team.

thanks for the positive input, I dont get a lot of that around here, lol...

I just think organizational fit is important... that a staff can make or break a rookie QB... unlike many, I think had Denny Green stayed our HC a few more years we would now be lamenting the retirement of Matt Leinart.... That kid was so good his rookie year...but a coaching change and an injury ruined him.... I think it took the heart out of him more than physically ruined him...he just didnt love it anymore..
but I digress...

organizational fit...its important IMO

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
CBUS had it right that even if he doesn't work out, Rosen cost us a 1st, 3rd, and 5th round pick which is peanuts in comparison to his payoff if he hits.

How does he fail...injury is number 1. But those can really happen to anyone. Rosen may have a higher risk factor, but I worry more about the shoulder than the concussions. QBs can always get the ball out quicker. He could also be a jerk, but the league is full of QBs who are jerks. It is just the fact that some of those jerks win games which makes it more tolerable.

So, how does Rosen payoff. 1. Accuracy and timing. Guy can put the ball where he wants to when he wants to. This is especially important with a guy like DJ catching it out of the backfield or RSJ catching a seam throw that he can go up and get. 2. Having a chip on his shoulder. With a guy like Rosen, if he feels like he has something to prove or a goal to achieve, he will thrive in a pro system. He is 21.

Here is what you really need to know about Josh Rosen.
He is 21.
He had three different OCs in his three years at UCLA.
He can throw with timing and accuracy, and is very smart.
He is 6'4, 214 lbs.

I think we are going to be ok.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
CBUS had it right that even if he doesn't work out, Rosen cost us a 1st, 3rd, and 5th round pick which is peanuts in comparison to his payoff if he hits.

How does he fail...injury is number 1. But those can really happen to anyone. Rosen may have a higher risk factor, but I worry more about the shoulder than the concussions. QBs can always get the ball out quicker. He could also be a jerk, but the league is full of QBs who are jerks. It is just the fact that some of those jerks win games which makes it more tolerable.

So, how does Rosen payoff. 1. Accuracy and timing. Guy can put the ball where he wants to when he wants to. This is especially important with a guy like DJ catching it out of the backfield or RSJ catching a seam throw that he can go up and get. 2. Having a chip on his shoulder. With a guy like Rosen, if he feels like he has something to prove or a goal to achieve, he will thrive in a pro system. He is 21.

Here is what you really need to know about Josh Rosen.
He is 21.
He had three different OCs in his three years at UCLA.
He can throw with timing and accuracy, and is very smart.
He is 6'4, 214 lbs.

I think we are going to be ok.

He’s 225 lbs actually... with 10” hands!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I am beyond excited. I sold myself on Mayfield early in the process because I never believed Rosen would be in the Cardinals reach. And then Mayfield's stock soared. This just feels exactly like the Rodgers fall; I remember thinking that all the criticism of Rodgers was garbage, the guy was a baller.

I love the fact that Rosen is 21. That means if he works out, the Cardinals could potentially have the QB that they will have in the year 2030. How unreal is that?

He throws about as nice a football as I've ever seen. Screw the arm strength argument, placement, accuracy, and catchability are severely underrated. Many great QBs didn't have really strong arms.

For the first time in a long time, there is real hope for this franchise. During the Palmer/Arians era, we always knew there was a limited window that arrangement would work, now with Rosen we know that the team will be in good hands for a long time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am beyond excited. I sold myself on Mayfield early in the process because I never believed Rosen would be in the Cardinals reach. And then Mayfield's stock soared. This just feels exactly like the Rodgers fall; I remember thinking that all the criticism of Rodgers was garbage, the guy was a baller.

I love the fact that Rosen is 21. That means if he works out, the Cardinals could potentially have the QB that they will have in the year 2030. How unreal is that?

He throws about as nice a football as I've ever seen. Screw the arm strength argument, placement, accuracy, and catchability are severely underrated. Many great QBs didn't have really strong arms.

For the first time in a long time, there is real hope for this franchise. During the Palmer/Arians era, we always knew there was a limited window that arrangement would work, now with Rosen we know that the team will be in good hands for a long time.
People thought Logan Thomas had a cannon for an arm. He threw 60 mph. Rosen throws it 59. Arm strength is not an issue for him. I do not know where that narrative got started but his arm strength is significantly above the top QB's in last year's draft.

59 mph is a cannon arm. What Rosen can do is take velocity off when he wants and still be accurate.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Yep let’s fly to Zona & give Keim a big kiss, you have the left cheek I’ve got the right lol

The true success of this draft, especially this pick, can only be determined in comparing Rosen, Jackson, and Rudolph over the next few years. Hopefully the conversation on here won't be about who we could have had instead.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson