2017 Official Draft Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's enjoy the draft and relax. There are still trades to be made and free agency.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its funny because all the people saying "Oh trust McD, Reed will be fine" will be the ones to first go off the ledge and flame and bash McD when those other players he passed up on outplay Reed. Just how it usually works.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What picks has McD made outside of the Lottery though? Has he made enough to really judge him? Ennis and 2nd rounders? How many 2nd rounders from the 2015 draft are still in the league? The 2nd round is a crapshoot and no GM should be judged based on how many hits or misses they have in the 2nd round.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lessort looks like an interesting pick to stash.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What picks has McD made outside of the Lottery though? Has he made enough to really judge him? Ennis and 2nd rounders? How many 2nd rounders from the 2015 draft are still in the league? The 2nd round is a crapshoot and no GM should be judged based on how many hits or misses they have in the 2nd round.

Totally agree.

I remember when the Suns traded two 2nd round picks for Dragic who was a 2nd round pick of the Spurs. No one criticized the Spurs.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Alan Williams and Derrick Jones Jr weren't draft picks iirc and besides, please don't ever use Derrick Jones Jr in any argument ever again. Other than being able to dunk well, he has nothing for an NBA resume.

And I don't know why you even mentioned lottery guys, when I clearly said he's good in the lottery. Your argument is stupid.

So basically what you're telling me is he gets no credit for drafting Warren at 14? However, if Warren was drafted at 15 he'd get credit for finding someone "outside the lottery?"

Booker might end up as a top 10-15 player in the league and he was two picks away from being outside the lottery. But hey, guess that doesn't count!

Ulis looked like the best PG in the draft last year at times and he was a second round pick. (That counts, right?) Williams was undrafted but looks to be a great find. And yes, I'm going to include Jones Jr. He had a role with this team last year and was a defensive / athletic monster at times. If anything, finding an undrafted guy is even more impressive than finding someone in the second round.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
As previously mentioned Jackson did not look happy. I'm thrilled with the pick though.

Probably worked up anger that he did not go top 1-2 or 3. Guess it's an image thing to show his people he was not happy about the draft position. I think he should be pretty happy with the situation though. Him, Booker, Chriss, et al have an excellent opportunity to get playing time and show the league what they've got. Hopefully they get a good cameraderie and he straightens out. No late night tacos for you young man!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yep! Some people cannot be happy if they are not complaining. I swear that McD could turn Knight and a second round pick into Kevin Durant and someone would complain that he gave up a second round pick.

No, they'd complain that Durant is too old for the Suns' youth movement.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably worked up anger that he did not go top 1-2 or 3. Guess it's an image thing to show his people he was not happy about the draft position. I think he should be pretty happy with the situation though. Him, Booker, Chriss, et al have an excellent opportunity to get playing time and show the league what they've got. Hopefully they get a good cameraderie and he straightens out. No late night tacos for you young man!

Good take.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Peters was ranked #2 on DraftExpress amongst all seniors. That says something about the NBA when a guy is ranked #2 amongst all seniors and he gets picked #54. Derrick White was ranked #1 amongst seniors and he went #29 to San Antonio.

I wish the NBA would change their 1 and done rule to 2 and out. Players are penalized now for staying all 4 years in college nowadays. I know they don't project to grow that much as players after 4 years in college but it would make the league better by having a better class of rookies entering the league every year. Especially with the new 2 way G-League contracts. Teams are allowed 17 players on the roster now so long as a few of them are on the 2 way G-League contracts.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of people praised the Jackson pick. You can't like one but not the other? WTH? Sounds like an overreaction to a reaction but I digress.

Really happy with the Jackson pick!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Happiest I have been with a Suns draft in a long time. Love Jackson. Would have taken him at three, maybe at two.

Davon, I did not like, but they drafted to fill a need. 3 and D is a great role player skill set.

Peters was a very productive player in college.

The second rounders are NAZ bound so I don't care much. Jackson is the prize

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happiest I have been with a Suns draft in a long time. Love Jackson. Would have taken him at three, maybe at two.

Davon, I did not like, but they drafted to fill a need. 3 and D is a great role player skill set.

Peters was a very productive player in college.

The second rounders are NAZ bound so I don't care much. Jackson is the prize

I said it earlier. I have not been this happy with a Suns pick on draft day since Amare.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So basically what you're telling me is he gets no credit for drafting Warren at 14? However, if Warren was drafted at 15 he'd get credit for finding someone "outside the lottery?"

Booker might end up as a top 10-15 player in the league and he was two picks away from being outside the lottery. But hey, guess that doesn't count!

Ulis looked like the best PG in the draft last year at times and he was a second round pick. (That counts, right?) Williams was undrafted but looks to be a great find. And yes, I'm going to include Jones Jr. He had a role with this team last year and was a defensive / athletic monster at times. If anything, finding an undrafted guy is even more impressive than finding someone in the second round.
The lottery is the lottery for a reason. I don't know why your continuing to argue about players drafted in the lottery. And I'm not gonna repeat myself so you can go back yourself and read what I said about Ulis.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
The lottery is the lottery for a reason. I don't know why your continuing to argue about players drafted in the lottery. And I'm not gonna repeat myself so you can go back yourself and read what I said about Ulis.

#14 pick - Inside the lottery - No credit.
#15 pick - Outside the lottery - Credit.

Ok.

But back on topic. This is the happiest I've been after a draft. Jackson, Chriss, Booker ... all have some Malice in the Palace in them. Not literally, I hope. But it's nice to see the Suns put together a tough team for once.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
#14 pick - Inside the lottery - No credit.
#15 pick - Outside the lottery - Credit.

Ok.

But back on topic. This is the happiest I've been after a draft. Jackson, Chriss, Booker ... all have some Malice in the Palace in them. Not literally, I hope. But it's nice to see the Suns put together a tough team for once.
Bender too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
On SPortcenter tonight they say Josh Jackson is really intense. They said he will ask the coaching staff who they want to shut down offensively in a game and will offer to cover that guy man to man. Their insider said his private work outs were really intense and awesome. The best ones he saw this year. Sounds like this guy is mentally tough and high motor.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson