2017 6th Round Pick is Johnathan "Rudy" Ford DB Auburn

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
6ft, 205lbs

Looks like we traded both 7th rd picks to move up to the 6th. Smart trade since the 7th rd guys probably wouldn't be making our team anyways (PS players maybe).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ects-auburns-johnathan-ford-shines-at-nickel/

Bigger and more physical than many of his teammates in the secondary, Ford was moved to safety as a sophomore and emerged as one of Auburn's best defenders, leading the team with 93 tackles while chipping in three interceptions. He split time between safety and nickel corner in 2015, registering an eye-popping 118 tackles as a junior (the most at Auburn since 2001) while generating four turnovers (two more interceptions, along with two forced fumbles), earning third-team All-SEC honors from rival coaches and the media alike.

Sporting a compact and well-developed frame, Ford has good size for cornerback. He has a low, tight back pedal with light feet and fluid hips, helping him change direction easily. Ford accelerates smoothly, showing the straight-line speed to handle deep coverage responsibilities and has shown steady improvement in terms of route awareness.

As his 216 career tackles suggest, Ford is a generally reliable open-field tackler who is also a standout on special teams coverage units. He locates the football quickly, pursues with passion and flashes some explosiveness as a hitter while typically wrapping his arms securely for the reliable open-field tackle. The vision, agility and speed which helped him stand out as a prep running back makes him dangerous with the ball in his hands. Ford returned an interception for a touchdown last season against Idaho, and he's a quality kick returner, as well.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense when HB can't stay healthy and Bethea is 34 years old....

Oh and special teams :)

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Did 20 presses at the combine. Nice.

As a kick returner he got 429 yards on 15 returns. Nice.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Found this. The soundtrack is atrocious.

Highlights start at 40 seconds.

Great hit at 1:45.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lots of speed and athleticism got drafted the last couple days and this guys doesn't appear to be any different. He seems to have a knack for making plays which is always nice, dame as the rb from earlier... should be fun to watch the return game this year!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Cardinals official site says he will play cornerback for the Cardinals, and I think that is a great plan.

Physical, fast, can tackle.

Good pick and good plan with him.

I may not be very anamored with this draft but this team is going to have some speed.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cardinals official site says he will play cornerback for the Cardinals, and I think that is a great plan.

Physical, fast, can tackle.

Good pick and good plan with him.

I may not be very anamored with this draft but this team is going to have some speed.
in this draft bask always mentioned those 3 aspects
flexibility
passion
speed

no more team captain

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of speed and athleticism got drafted the last couple days and this guys doesn't appear to be any different. He seems to have a knack for making plays which is always nice, dame as the rb from earlier... should be fun to watch the return game this year!

I have been of the opinion that our special team units just look slow compared to most of our opponents. So, these last two picks are a real attempt to fix that flaw.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to see how this guy fell this far. What are we missing? He looks really quick on the highlight reel.

He bounced from RB, to CB and to S at Auburn. So, it maybe he just never got enough reps and experience at one spot to really shine. That athleticism can't be coached, the skills to play a position can. With a little luck and some hard work this could be a really good player.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He bounced from RB, to CB and to S at Auburn. So, it maybe he just never got enough reps and experience at one spot to really shine. That athleticism can't be coached, the skills to play a position can. With a little luck and some hard work this could be a really good player.

Reminds me of Williams last year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard