2016-17 Around the NBA

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh im just spit balling for the sake of having something to talk about

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks like the Cavs has set there eyes on Boogie Cousins.

Latest rumor.

Cavs get: Cousins, filler

Pelicans get: Love, Brooklyn pick, filler

I like it for both teams. I think love with his long range and passing is a better compliment to Davis.

I think Boogie can be a monster on the inside for the Cavs. They know they can out finesse Golden State so they are gonna try and bully them. If anyone can get the best out of Cousins it's Lebron

How bout the Cavs if they make this trade turning Kyrie into IT, Crowder and Cousins wow(if IT is healthy)

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Definitely an interesting option for both teams, but one potential complication...

IT and Cousins did not get along well in Sacramento. I remember Cousins making a big deal after IT left about how much better everything was with a point guard who moved the ball. He all but said Darren freaking Collison was a better pg than IT.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ridiculous three way trade that I just came up with that will never happen!

Cavs get: Demarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, Miami 2018 pick

Pelicans get: Kevin Love, Isaiah Thomas

Suns get: Brooklyn pick, Filler

The Cavs do it because Cousins offers a more compelling big to compete with the Warriors and Bledsoe offers a point guard who is comparable to IT in talent with less ego and a friendship with both LeBron and Cousins. It's hard to part with that Brooklyn pick, but the Heat pick lessens the blow.

The Pelicans do it because they need to compete ASAP to keep Davis from wanting out. IT gives them a star in the backcourt. He could leave after a year, but the same is true of Cousins. Love might be a better fit than Cousins anyway, and this represents a large upgrade from what they recently paid for Cousins.

This trade is a gamble for the Suns. There is a scenario where the Miami pick is actually better than the Brooklyn pick. However, this not only gives them a unique chance at a top 5 player in the draft, it also increases the chances of their own pick becoming top 5. It's a gamble, but one that could pay HUGE dividends.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely an interesting option for both teams, but one potential complication...

IT and Cousins did not get along well in Sacramento. I remember Cousins making a big deal after IT left about how much better everything was with a point guard who moved the ball. He all but said Darren freaking Collison was a better pg than IT.

Well IT isn't a good PG at all what he is a SG trapped in an 8th graders body. He's a flat out chucker. You let Lebron be your primary ball handler and run IT off screens all day

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well IT isn't a good PG at all what he is a SG trapped in an 8th graders body. He's a flat out chucker. You let Lebron be your primary ball handler and run IT off screens all day

My concern was not so much a basketball concern as a personality one. I wouldn't bring Cousins into a championship contender with a key player he doesn't get along with, and I would be worried about IT's ego as well.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The Cavs do it because Cousins offers a more compelling big to compete with the Warriors and Bledsoe offers a point guard who is comparable to IT in talent with less ego and a friendship with both LeBron and Cousins. It's hard to part with that Brooklyn pick, but the Heat pick lessens the blow.

The Pelicans do it because they need to compete ASAP to keep Davis from wanting out. IT gives them a star in the backcourt. He could leave after a year, but the same is true of Cousins. Love might be a better fit than Cousins anyway, and this represents a large upgrade from what they recently paid for Cousins.

This trade is a gamble for the Suns. There is a scenario where the Miami pick is actually better than the Brooklyn pick. However, this not only gives them a unique chance at a top 5 player in the draft, it also increases the chances of their own pick becoming top 5. It's a gamble, but one that could pay HUGE dividends.

:thumbup:

I mean why not? Seems possible if the Cavs want one more shot at a ring.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns gamble with their luck. No thanks. We've been through this before.

If need be, perhaps the Suns can move up in the next draft if the right player is there. They should have the Miami pick in 2018.
We have Jackson--a top three player in a good draft. We do not know where that Nets pick will end up or how those players will look after a week of college ball.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

So in your mind IT is worth more than the Brooklyn pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

No, but there are a couple things at play here.

1. If I am the Cavs, I'm not bringing in Cousins unless I also have a trade lined up for IT. So in my scenario, Cousins for Love and the Brooklyn pick was never available to the Pelicans.

2. If I'm the Pelicans, I'm TERRIFIED that Unibrow's name is coming up in trade rumors so often. I think they need to compete now for fear of him getting restless about being the next Kevin Garnett stuck on an incompetent franchise. IT and Love makes them an interesting team this year and could go a long way toward satisfying a franchise player whose only other plus teammate plays his position and is a headcase.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If the goal is to stay competitive and keep LeBron then getting Cousins and IT (or maybe Bled??) would make a lot of sense. Then the Brooklyn pick would be almost expendable if somehow that meant they resign Lebron.

LeBron, Cousins, IT, Crowder would be a formidable team indeed.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

If the Cavs goal is to keep Lebron then the normal rules don't apply. Anything that makes LeBron stay is a net plus.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

KLove/IT/Brooklyn pick is worth a lot more than Bledsoe/Boogie/Miami pick.

Hell, if they REALLY wanted to go all out and Unibrow is unhappy, Cleveland might be able to trade Love/IT/Brooklyn for him and call it a day.

That would be the nastiest 1/2 punch in basketball.

Unibrow/LeBron/Rose's dead carcass and some role players might actually be good enough to beat GS.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Cavs goal is to keep Lebron then the normal rules don't apply. Anything that makes LeBron stay is a net plus.

I agree with this. LeBron is the best player in the league, put him on any roster and you've got a shot at the title. Whatever Cleveland can do to increase the chances he stays, they should do it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. LeBron is the best player in the league, put him on any roster and you've got a shot at the title. Whatever Cleveland can do to increase the chances he stays, they should do it.

I've got to think they use that Brooklyn pick to get another BIG piece... some big star who's disgruntled or about to turn FA.

I mean, if they had done that deal during the draft, they prob could have gotten Paul George or Jimmy Butler:

IT
Butler/George
LeBron
Love

And scrubs would have been a team that could challenge GS.

That pick ain't for the future. It's gonna be used to make Cleveland better now and hopefully give Bron another reason to stay in offseason.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IT posted an article on the Players Tribune about the trade. I have to say hindsight makes me regret trading him. He seems to have the right attitude, that of a winner, and I think Cleveland will be better once he gets back into the lineup. I found it to be a really good read.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/isaiah-thomas-trade-celtics-cavaliers/

yeah... we screwed the pooch on that one. Not that Bledsoe isn't a rock solid player, but IT has proven over the last two years to be a real difference maker... a heartbeat guy on solid teams. Still not a #1 on a true contender, but definitely a solid #2 and great #3.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even if we were rebuilding, you'd think IT would be the more attractive piece to hold onto because he had the lowest salary. What's done is done though. At least Boston got a return for IT, which we didn't.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
yeah... we screwed the pooch on that one. Not that Bledsoe isn't a rock solid player, but IT has proven over the last two years to be a real difference maker... a heartbeat guy on solid teams. Still not a #1 on a true contender, but definitely a solid #2 and great #3.

The problem with that trade isn't about what Thomas became, because there are unknowns like that in any equation. It's that the trade was made in panic, and rationalized with the inane argument that, since the Suns had acquired Thomas cheaply, they weren't "losing" very much by giving him away. Does a championship-level front office make mistakes like that?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Does a championship-level front office make mistakes like that?
The next time the Suns will be a championship-level front office will be the first. 'Still hoping to see it in our lifetimes, Eric.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison