2015-16 Around the NBA

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@ramonashelburne: The NBA is investigating the incident w/ Blake Griffin in Toronto. Possible discipline from the league in addition to time missed w/ injury

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ramonashelburne: The NBA is investigating the incident w/ Blake Griffin in Toronto. Possible discipline from the league in addition to time missed w/ injury

I guess no criminal assault charges here. No harm no foul. Just a broken hand by a star athlete.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Although this took place in Toronto, it shows how arbitrary the criminal justice system can be. The victim shouldn't be the sole derterminant if charges should be filed.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Although this took place in Toronto, it shows how arbitrary the criminal justice system can be. The victim shouldn't be the sole derterminant if charges should be filed.

That's an interesting point. I wonder whether the fact that the incident happened outside the U.S. is an issue. Way back when I learned about this stuff, felonies were considered "crimes against the state," and it wasn't the victim's call whether to prosecute. But simply punching someone in the face is probably a misdemeanor, in which case it wouldn't surprise me if there's more latitude. And then if you start talking about who has jurisdiction in an international incident, it could get too messy to bother with.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting point. I wonder whether the fact that the incident happened outside the U.S. is an issue. Way back when I learned about this stuff, felonies were considered "crimes against the state," and it wasn't the victim's call whether to prosecute. But simply punching someone in the face is probably a misdemeanor, in which case it wouldn't surprise me if there's more latitude. And then if you start talking about who has jurisdiction in an international incident, it could get too messy to bother with.

In the U.S., such as a domestic violence case, it does not require the victim to file a complaint if there is sufficient evidence for the case to be prosecuted. It happens all the time in this country. The case regarding Griffin appears very much like a domestic violence case or assault case that could be prosecuted on independent evidence although I can't speak how Canada handles these matters.

Lately it seems like NBA players are not getting charged in this country (when they could) because the victim is not filing charges. Very arbitrary justice IMO.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@latbbolch: Confirmed the equipment staffer involved was Mathias Testi. Was told he has a swollen face but no fractures. Unclear if he will sue.

@FredKatz: If he does sue, wondering how the fact that this happened in another country affects Griffin/legal process. https://t.co/CzrlttLEzf

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@latbbolch: Confirmed the equipment staffer involved was Mathias Testi. Was told he has a swollen face but no fractures. Unclear if he will sue.

@FredKatz: If he does sue, wondering how the fact that this happened in another country affects Griffin/legal process. https://t.co/CzrlttLEzf

You must be registered for see images
He is the little guy here. Wow.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
WTF!

How did Booker not get selected.

I don't care for the current format, in the previous one Booker clearly makes the grade. As it is I believe they only took 3 rookies onto the US squad and all 3 of them have a better case than Booker. I'm not sure about some of the second year players but they all probably have better stats than our rookie does.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I don't care for the current format, in the previous one Booker clearly makes the grade. As it is I believe they only took 3 rookies onto the US squad and all 3 of them have a better case than Booker. I'm not sure about some of the second year players but they all probably have better stats than our rookie does.

I totally disagree.

Booker is averaging 17/3/3 45% in January.

Compare that to Russell who is putting up 12/3/2 44% in January and for the season has trouble shooting over 40% and makes stupid decisions very often.

Or Clarkson who is putting up 15/3/3 44% for the season.

On a per minute basis Booker would be averaging about 16/3/3 46% in 36mpg on the season.

Zach Lavine is at 12/3/3 41% on the season.

To top it off Clarkson does not even represent the US internationally. He chose to play for the Phillipines.
And Towns is representing the Dominican Republic.

Why were they not chosen for Team World? Instead you have Mario Hezonja there who has been a bust so far and other unworthy players like Bojan Bogdanovic.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I totally disagree.

Booker is averaging 17/3/3 45% in January.

Compare that to Russell who is putting up 12/3/2 44% in January and for the season has trouble shooting over 40% and makes stupid decisions very often.

Or Clarkson who is putting up 15/3/3 44% for the season.

On a per minute basis Booker would be averaging about 16/3/3 46% in 36mpg on the season.

Zach Lavine is at 12/3/3 41% on the season.

To top it off Clarkson does not even represent the US internationally. He chose to play for the Phillipines.
And Towns is representing the Dominican Republic.

Why were they not chosen for Team World? Instead you have Mario Hezonja there who has been a bust so far and other unworthy players like Bojan Bogdanovic.

I'd take Booker over any of those players but as I said, they only took 3 rookies and it's easy to see why the took Russell over Booker.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I'd take Booker over any of those players but as I said, they only took 3 rookies and it's easy to see why the took Russell over Booker.

Not really since this decision was made by NBA assistant coaches that voted.

Just shows you how little knowledge even NBA assistant coaches have outside of their own teams. Zach Lavine and D'Angelo Russell over Booker, smh.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also Dennis Schroder is reportedly on the trade market. When I see him play I think of an improved version of Ish Smith. Schroder is fast.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Also Dennis Schroder is reportedly on the trade market. When I see him play I think of an improved version of Ish Smith. Schroder is fast.

He is also shooting less efficiently than Brandon Knight, takes as many shot attempts per posessions and gets more turnovers.

Plus he is super cocky, arrogant and generally immature. For example after the European Tournament he was mildly criticized by some former German players for being too egoistic and not enough of a leader and something like that. Schröders response was basically that they are all jealous of him.

Easy pass.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is also shooting less efficiently than Brandon Knight, takes as many shot attempts per posessions and gets more turnovers.

Plus he is super cocky, arrogant and generally immature. For example after the European Tournament he was mildly criticized by some former German players for being too egoistic and not enough of a leader and something like that. Schröders response was basically that they are all jealous of him.

Easy pass.

It's an easy pass because the last thing the Suns need is another PG. They have Bledsoe, Knight, and Goodwin to sort out for the future. Adding another young PG who isn't a Steve Nash clone would be a huge mistake and show how clueless the front office is.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tyronn Lue named the head coach of the east All Stars. He's coached 3 games in his entire career. Wasn't Blatt the East's coach last year? That should be enough reason to move onto the 2nd place team alone but the All Star game means less and less each season, it seems.

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/releases/lue-allstar-160127

Its worse that the NBA gave Pop the West HC duty instead of Walton who is the one that actually deserves it.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Apparently the Lakers are looking to trade D'angelo Russell already.

Seems like they would like to turn their young pieces into more established players.

Randle is the only one they wouldnt mind keeping according to the article.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/hoopscritic/status/692806041176768515

I would trade for him in a heartbeat as long as it doesn't involve Booker. He's getting destroyed under the horrible system that Byron Scott has there and is maybe not living up to the pressure in those bright Los Angeles Staple Center lights.

Still has more PG ability than anyone we have.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if LA has interest in Knight. I'd be for trading Knight for Russell straight up. Not only would that give us a young backcourt in Russell & Booker to build for the future but it would get Knight's contract off of the books. I don't think I'd swap Bledsoe for him though. Watching a backcourt of Russell & Booker for the rest of the season would be interesting, with Goodwin playing the role of 1st guard off of the bench. That should allow enough time for management to figure out what to do with the backcourt in the offseason also in regards to Bledsoe's future with the team.