2012 Cardinals V 1.0

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
QB (3): 18-Peyton Manning; 19-John Skelton; 2-Rich Bartel.

The Cardinals have to do everything they can to land Manning.

RB (4): 26-Beanie Wells; 34-Ryan Williams; 36-LaRod Stephens-Howling; 23-Isaiah Pead (5-10, 200, Cincinnati---3rd Rd).

What? A RB in the 3rd Round? Yes---because Wells and Williams are coming off surgeries, because Wells and LSH are going to be UFAs next year---and, most of all, because Pead, the 2011 Big East MVP, with his speed, hands and ability to make people miss, is a very good fit in this offense.

FB (1): 35-Anthony Sherman.

Outstanding 5th round pick in 2011.

WR (5): 11-Larry Fitzgerald; 85-Reggie Wayne (UFA, IND); 83-Harry Douglass (UFA, ATL); 12-Andre Roberts; 89-DeMarco Sampson; 13-Brian Quick (6-4, 216, Appalachian St. 6th Rd).

Wayne is a beast to cover on the left side---as Fitz is on the right side---and adding Harry Douglass to the slot with Andre Roberts---wow!

Other UFAs I like: Jerome Simpson (CIN), Robert Meachem (NOR), Pierre Garcon (IND), Eddie Royal (Slot WR-DEN) and Roscoe Parrish (Slot WR-BUF).

I would be just about as excited with Simpson and Royal, if we couldn't sign Wayne and Douglass.

The thought of adding Kendall Wright (Baylor) in this draft is exciting too---and I think the Cardinals' first round draft philosophy has changed to where if they can draft an electric player who can be the difference in winning 3-4 more games, as PP21 did this past year, they might justify picking Wright, who is totally dynamic. And for those who think drafting a slot WR in the first round is wrong to do---NFL coaches know today more than ever that if you can successfully attack the middle of the field and the seams, you can light up the scoreboard in a hurry.

TE (3): 87-Jeff King; 86-Todd Heap; 84-Rob Housler.

Look for Housler to become Peyton Manning's version of Dallas Clark. Imagine!

OL (9): 75-Levi Brown; 71-Daryn Colledge; 63-Lyle Sendlein; 65-Mike Brisiel (UFA, 6-5, 302, HOU); 68-Adam Snyder (UFA, 6-6, 325, SFO); 70-Rex Hadnot; 73-Jeremy Bridges; 74-D'Anthony Batiste; 67-D.J. Young.

I really like the way Levi Brown played down the stretch and I believe he will be reasonable in re-working his deal. Having a QB who gets the ball out faster will help him too. Adam Snyder will be this year's Colledge and will take over the RT position. This is a player whom I believe is ready to come into his own. Adding Brisiel to compete at RG versus Rex Hadnot would be fantastic because he has the ability to become one of the best guards in the NFL and Russ Grimm can coach up guards in a big way. Hadnot, Bridges and Batiste can all play multiple positions---although we should keep an eye on PS player C Ryan Bartholomew who is a workout warrior. He could unseat one of the veteran backups.

NT (2): 92-Dan Williams; 79-David Carter.

Best talent we have there since switching to the 34.

DE (4): 90-Darnell Dockett; 93-Calais Campbell; 98-Nick Eason; 96-Ronald Talley.

I expect the Cardinals to re-sign Calais Campbell. They will use the franchise tag on him if they need to but a long-term deal should be made before TC.

Would love to see Vonnie Holliday return---and if he does and he's fit, he makes the roster.

ILB (4): 58-Daryl Washington; 54-Luke Keuchly (6-2, 235, Boston College, 1st Rd.); 51-Paris Lenon; 55-Emmanuel Acho (6-2, 240, Texas, 4th Rd.).

Keuchly is the best tackler in the draft, and he can cover TEs much the way Patrick Willis can. In a division where you have to stop RBs the likes of Frank Gore, Marshawn Lynch and Stephen Jackson---in addition to covering TEs the likes of Vernon Davis, Zack Miller and Lance Kendricks---you have to be strong in the middle.

Another ILB in the 4th round? The Cardinals' coaches are so impressed with Sam Acho, that if his brother Emmanuel is on the board in the 4th round, they will take him---and they will groom him to be what they wanted Stewart Bradley to be, a move around, versatile LB who can stack things up on the inside and who can rush the edge in certain situations.

OLB (4): 94-Sam Acho; 55-Ahmad Brooks (UFA 6-3, 259, SFO); 50-O'Brien Schofield; 53-Clark Haggans;

Brooks is a great fit on the strong side---the pass rush could be fierce if he, Acho and Schofield can have big years.

CB (5): 21-Patrick Peterson; 31-Richard Marshall; 28-Greg Toler; 20-A.J. Jefferson; 27-Michael Adams.

A year older, stronger and better---and potentially dynamic.

S (5): 24-Adrian Wilson; 43-Craig Dahl (UFA 6-1, 209, STL); 49-Rashad Johnson; 22-Crezdon Butler, CB/S; 29-Trenton Richardson (5-10, 195, Michigan St. 5th Rd.).

Here's a key move the Cardinals make. last year i was lamenting the fact that the Cardinals did not jump up and sign S Deshon Goldson (SFO) when amazingly he was out there dangling in free agency---and now it looks like the 49ers may franchise tag him, even over CB Carlos Rogers. If they tag Rogers instead, I would make every possible effort to sign Goldson. But, with Craig Dahl available---he's the same kind of tough, hard-hitting and rangy safety the Cardinals need. In fact, Dahl may be even a little more disciplined than Goldson. Kerry Rhodes doesn't quite fit Ray Horton's requisites for a safety because he doesn't punish WRs who come over the middle---and he doesn't force the run very well either. Therefore, Rhodes gets traded or released, and the Cardinals add a very important component to their vastly improving defense.

ST (3): 3-Jay Feely; 82-Mike Leach; 9-Dave Zustadil.

Feely stays---although there may be a temptation to draft a kicker.

PS (8): 30-Terrence Ganaway, RB, 6-0, 240, Baylor (6th Rd.); 77-Markus Zusevics, T, 6-5, 300, Iowa, (7th Round); 65-Derek Daniels, G, 6-3, 328, Rutgers (UCFA); 17-Jaymar Johnson, WR; 32-Korey Lindsay,CB; 62-Ryan Bartholomew, C; 59-Brandon Williams, LB; 60-Ricky Lumpkin, DT.

Last edited:

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
I like your forward thinking Mitch, but their is 1 small problem. How are we going to sign all of our own FA and then sign all of the FA from other teams? We will be lucky to get 1-2 FA this season.

Now the only way we can do this is to cut a few players - Porter,Heap and Struckey and save 8.24M. Then they will have to go to Fitz about restructuring his bonus so that 15.25 can turn into a siging bonus. That could bring his cap hit down from 20.25m to around 7.17M. Cutting KK will save another 1m.

We can do it but can the Cardinals FO be up for the task??

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There's a lot to like in your projections.

But, Michael Lombardi says that Reggie Wayne will be looking for $8M per year on a 3/4 deal. Too pricey, and would go with Garcon and pass on Douglass who is slight and gets banged up.

Until proven wrong, I believe our first round pick will be O-line, although agree that there's a good chance Levi comes back. More than a few of us mentioned Biesel last year when he was a RFA, and he'd be a welcome addition.

Sturdivant, who had a 2nd/3rd round grade last off-season, is my choice as our 4th ILB in 2012, and doubt they'll cut Bradley or Rhodes.

Would love A. Brooks, but would be content with Spencer.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like your forward thinking Mitch, but their is 1 small problem. How are we going to sign all of our won FA and then sign all of the FA from other teams? We will be lucky to get 1-2 FA this season.

Now the only way we can do this is to cut a few players - Porter,Heap and Struckey and save 8.24M. Then they will have to go to Fitz about restructuring his bonus so that 15.25 can turn into a siging bonus. That could bring his cap hit down from 20.25m to around 7.17M. Cutting KK will save another 1m.

We can do it but can the Cardinals FO be up for the task??

Porter is already off the books. Stuckey would save a little over $2M, and I doubt Heap is cut. Wilson's CAP hit of over $6M is in salary, so that could be used to create some relief through a bonus. Cutting Kolb would save $2M off the CAP.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Peyton and Wayne while very difficult to sign both will possibly be the only big name FAs we could afford.

Levi will only be average at best playing LT. Move him to RT and get someone quicker and better at LT.

We need an upgrade at OLB.

Rhodes isn't going anywhere. Also having two safeties that hit big but can't cover exposes us. Our CBs look promising but are not intimidating. The Eagles flopped with 3 good cover corners.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Version 1.1 needs a full financial analysis.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We are only 4 mil under the cap as of today.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

This is based on a projected $123.5M CAP and ignores the $18M, which is currently on the books for Levi Brown. So, it's more like $22M. And, then it is understood that teams will be allowed to add (borrow against future years) another $2M or so. Thus: $24/25M. If they cut Stuckey they'd gain another $2M. This is why most estimates of AZ Cap room is the $25M + range. Additionally, there are a few contracts where salary could be turned in bonus and create even more room.

Last edited:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is based on a projected $123.5M CAP and ignores the $18M, which is currently on the books for Levi Brown. So, it's more like $22M. And, then it is understood that teams will be allowed to add (borrow against future years) another $2M or so. Thus: $24/25M. If they cut Stuckey they'd gain another $2M. This is why most estimates of AZ Cap room is the $25M + range. Additionally, there are a few contracts where salary could be turned in bonus and create even more room.

Borrow against future years? You sound like the US government. :D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I forget who it was, but expect that most of free agency to be done on one-year deals. The cap is going to remain flat this offseason more or less, but it's going to go up $20 million next year. Guys are going to want to take a piece of the larger pie in 2012.

Probably the best chance for us to keep Richard Marshall is to give him a 20% raise on his last deal and tell him that we'll take care of him in 2013 (Rhodes has a voidable year on his deal).

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I forget who it was, but expect that most of free agency to be done on one-year deals. The cap is going to remain flat this offseason more or less, but it's going to go up $20 million next year. Guys are going to want to take a piece of the larger pie in 2012.

Probably the best chance for us to keep Richard Marshall is to give him a 20% raise on his last deal and tell him that we'll take care of him in 2013 (Rhodes has a voidable year on his deal).

All the more reason to get CC done now (aggressively) rather than giving him the Franchise tag.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score

Porter is not off the books until FA starts. Yes he did redo his contract last year but he is still signed until 2013. With stuckey we can save 2.45M and Porters is 2.425M.

Now Fitz is due a 15.25M roster bonus and we could go to him and try to get the changed into a signing bonus so they can spread it over the remaining years of his contract. that could droup his cap hit from 20.25M to 7.175M and that is a savings of 13.05M.

We do not get a 2m borrow against future years, its 1.5M.

For 2012, each team may designate up to 3 of their highest paid players (who must have at least 5 accrued seasons and make at least $500,000 more than the league minimum salary for that year), toward whom the team will will receive $500,000 cap credit. Repayment of this credit will be applied toward the 2014-2017 league years.

Look for question 1.14

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do we know what the cap is going to be for sure? Isnt it a function of the revenues from the previous year, or is there's a set figure in the new CBA?

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Good read, Mitch. Very thoughtful. I'm glad to see you are on the Peyton Manning bandwagon.

I doubt we can pull off all those FAs due to cost and cap reasons, but I like the ideas.

I can't buy into Keuchley. I know you have liked him, and there is that small little BC connection you have. But we already have Washington, I can't see another ILB in the first round. One of those guys will come off the field on 2nd and long and 3rd downs for nickel and dime cover guys. Pick a guy that will play all the time. Take our highest rated of OG Decastro, one of the OTs, or OLB Upshaw - all higher positions of need.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score

I would like to nominate Canuck as the new Joe Shmo. Where is Joe?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Good thoughts with good reasoning Mitch.

How about a few different moves:

1) it's time to fix the Oline with legit NFL tackles whomever is the QB going forward, we're a passing team & our QBs get beat to hell...bye bye Levi & Keith! If Martin is their at #13 I think we take him

2) if Martin is gone @ 13, trade down & try to pick up (lost in kolb trade) a #2. Other LTs I like in later rds: Okie States Levy Adcock & Boises Nate Potter

3) if we trade down I luv the thought of Kendall Wright or Nick Perry

4)sign Gmen RT Kareem Mackenzie

5) draft Bouse St Rb Doug Martin in rd 3. I too am concerned with Beanies long term health & little Walters ability to be the same player he was before a patella injury. Imo Martins a horse & future star and has been vastly underrated on the Broncos rise to prominence.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Porter is not off the books until FA starts. Yes he did redo his contract last year but he is still signed until 2013. With stuckey we can save 2.45M and Porters is 2.425M.

Now Fitz is due a 15.25M roster bonus and we could go to him and try to get the changed into a signing bonus so they can spread it over the remaining years of his contract. that could droup his cap hit from 20.25M to 7.175M and that is a savings of 13.05M.

We do not get a 2m borrow against future years, its 1.5M.

For 2012, each team may designate up to 3 of their highest paid players (who must have at least 5 accrued seasons and make at least $500,000 more than the league minimum salary for that year), toward whom the team will will receive $500,000 cap credit. Repayment of this credit will be applied toward the 2014-2017 league years.

Look for question 1.14

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

Bottom line. It is anticipated based on what is currently available under the CAP and taking away, for the sake of argument, the $18M or so owed to Levi under his present agreement that the Cards will have in excess of $22M available. With borrowing against future years relatively $24M, and the ability, if need be, to restructure some existing contracts to create even more room.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do we know what the cap is going to be for sure? Isnt it a function of the revenues from the previous year, or is there's a set figure in the new CBA?

It's basically frozen for this year with a massive jump next year. One of the reasons why it's expected that there will be large number of short term agreements signed.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Nice work Mitch. Always enjoy reading your want's list of FA and the draft.

Some needs get filled in FA. It seems Grimm always has to work with others cast offs and some lesser talent. Like you say, if Peyton's back there it would take care of itself somewhat....not all.... and that's an important part to consider. If he does come here, there will be some talk between him and management about upgrading the OL with some more young talent. Not saying that guarantees them taking one at 13, BUT, to take another RB there in the 3rd after already ignoring talent in the 1st to take Keuchly (which would be a good pick), plain ain't gon happen. :nono: imo.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yep, I was just backing you up.

Should add that the Cards can move the $7M left over from the 2011 CAP to 2012. So the amount available under the CAP could neighbour $30M before actually cutting anyone (Stuckey) or any restructuring beyond Levi Brown's $18M CAP hit.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn