2012 Arizona Diamondbacks season thread - May Edition

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We don't leave an extreme amount of RISP compared to other teams. We're at 3.59 per game this season: 18th out of the 30 teams. Of course, teams that get on base more leave more RISP, StL is ranked 27th, ATL 22nd, and HOU 25th. Considering we are second in the NL in PAs w/RISP we're not doing too bad with our Runners Left in Scoring Position.

In a game where failure 7 out of 10 times makes you an all-star, you can't compare performance to some ideal, you've got to compare it to the other teams.

Yet - the Cards are ranked 6th in batting average with RISP, the Braves are ranked 7th and the 'Stros are ranked 1st... The D-Backs are ranked 10th. And in terms of avg. runners left on base per game, there are only 5 NL teams worse than us - 3 of whom have much better avg's with RISP than do the D-Backs...

I think the angst with the offense stems from the lack of high-quality performance from anyone on the team... CY was of course en fuego, however of our current starters, we don't have anyone hitting over .280. Nobody with more than 4 HR's and nobody with more than 17 RBI. There is no doubt that in order for this team to be successful, CT is going to have to come back and resume the tear he was on, AND, players like Upton and Goldy are going to have to hit more consistently, including with some power!

We also lead the majors in K's per game with 8.09.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
And "The Franchise" had another one of his patented carnival acts on the track again.

Absolutely NO excuse for that... he's been playing that position at Chase for too long for him to not know where the fence is... If he's hitting .290 and pacing at 30 HR's, ok... we can let his defensive lapses slide... but, he sucks at the plate and continues to make mental mistakes in the field... :bang:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think part of Upton's hitting problems is that he is getting pitched around. Pitchers are throwing away from him knowing the lineup is not that productive. If Goldschmidt can get it going and Young and even Drew get back, pitchers will have to pitch to Upton. As for his fielding, no excuse for that. He has too many mental lapses in the outfield.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think part of Upton's hitting problems is that he is getting pitched around. Pitchers are throwing away from him knowing the lineup is not that productive. If Goldschmidt can get it going and Young and even Drew get back, pitchers will have to pitch to Upton. As for his fielding, no excuse for that. He has too many mental lapses in the outfield.

That would be logical, however, take a closer look when he's at the plate. He continues to swing at balls and take beautiful pitches right over the plate. He's simply not in the right frame of mind when at the plate...

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That would be logical, however, take a closer look when he's at the plate. He continues to swing at balls and take beautiful pitches right over the plate. He's simply not in the right frame of mind when at the plate...

I have been watching and he is swinging at many breaking pitches that are off the plate. He is struggling because he is probably feeling the pressure that he is the guy everyone expects to produce. When Young and Drew get back and the other guys like Goldschmidt and Roberts get on track, Upton will see better pitches. It's tough when he probably gets one good pitch to hit for every at bat.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I have been watching and he is swinging at many breaking pitches that are off the plate. He is struggling because he is probably feeling the pressure that he is the guy everyone expects to produce. When Young and Drew get back and the other guys like Goldschmidt and Roberts get on track, Upton will see better pitches. It's tough when he probably gets one good pitch to hit for every at bat.

Hope you're right...

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe, but Upton was playing crappy when CY was playing and tearing it up... :shrug:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team sucks. I hope they trade Saunders, he won't be on the team next year, so why not try and trade him and bring up Bauer. If they don't get it going soon, the season could be over be for we know it. Luckily there are now two wild card teams this year.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Drew never really scared anyone at the plate and who knows if Young will come back and be the same hitter he was before he went down.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drew never really scared anyone at the plate and who knows if Young will come back and be the same hitter he was before he went down.

Drew is a better hitter than anyone the Diamondbacks have, Young too. I can't see Towers not doing anything if the team continues to struggle.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Roberts getting on track LOL. What you see is what your going to get. He had his career year last year. The Dbacks made a big mistake in not getting a 3rd baseman who can hit,

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Dbacks lost 3-1 last night.

Miley gets the start tonight against Billingsley (sp)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Drew isn't the guy you want to face if runners are in scoring position and you're a righty. He's a good doubles/triples guy. Hits balls into the gap. That's a lot more than we have right now. Plus, he solidifies the defense up the middle.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Dbacks won tonight. Good pitching performance by Miley

Now on to Colorado for 2 then KC.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
I am about to give up on this team and shut them off for the summer, catch up on some reading or something... Chris Young, Drew and Hudson returning are my last hope for them, cause Upton sucks.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
6 hits... 7 strikeouts and 16 left on base... Old Man Moyer put them to sleep tonight! How embarrassing!! Wow.... :bang:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Holy Crap what a wild game going on today in Denver!!! Can JJ shut the door now and get us outta dodge with a split??

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Wasn't pretty but it's a W and a save for JJ. Upton with the game winning HR. Need to keep pushing that Upton is overrated thread!! :D