2011 Diamondbacks Thread

HooverDam

Reaction score
Excited to see how they play against the Marlins, who are also playing well. Not facing Josh Johnson is always a plus :)

Even if they can just tread water against Florida in their 6 games with them in the upcoming month (say 3-3) they ought to be able to get fat on a pretty weak schedule. In June they have 4 games against the Nats, 3 against the Pirates, 3 against the White Sox, 3 with KC & 3 with the Tigers, all who are at this point sub .500 teams.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can we get six free tacos tomorrow? :) It kind of sounded like Grace was subtlety saying Josh Byrnes wasn't putting a good team out there, which if that is what he meant, I agree. I forgot about Rusty Ryal. I'm surprised he didn't mention Cole Gilespie and Ryan Church. :mad:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Willie Booomquist is the man to do it. As I have posted before, Bloomquist in LF batting leadoff is far more valuable to us than Parra in LF batting eighth.

But now that Willie is close to returning from an injury, I don't expect Gibson to make that a permanent-until-shown-otherwise move.

Because just as Bob Brenly (post-World Series years) with his 135 different batting orders (that's a fact) and his protege Bob Melvin, most of his position players come to the park not knowing if they are in the starting lineup, what position they are playing or where they are batting.

Gibby can put a spin on it to the Press by saying that he wants each of his players ready.

But he announced in Spring Training that he would have a regular starting lineup by opening day. I don't mind that he needed some extra time to accomplish it. But it just hasn't happened.

The performances of Bloomquist and Roberts earned them (no, earned the team) more than "sub" status, even if he found a place for them often.

Kirk Gibson showed the toughness that we needed as Skipper following Melvin and Hinch.

But the man I backed was Chip Hale who was not only tough, but led his team to the top Minor League record, despite the constant promotion of his Baby Backs to the D'backs. That was an accomplishment!

But we bypassed him as Manager and let him get away. Why? Because he made a few mistakes as a 3B coach. He sure didn't make mistakes as a Manager.

It is disappointing that Kirk Gibson, despite his strong demeanor, is just as wishy-washy as Bob Melvin and A.J. Hinch before him.

Let's hire Chip Hale back from the Mets. Then you'll see the D'backs overachieving, rather than mired in a sub-.500 mentality like the Suns.[/
QUOTE]

I'm a Chip Hale fan and hope down the road he gets a managerial shot, but I am glad Gibson is the manager. There is probably a reason we don't know why Hale has not been hired as a manager in the majors, but right now the Diamondbacks have their man. It looks like Gibson has the respect of the players and when you have that, they will more than likely play as a team. Gibby gets a huge thumbs up from me. :thumbup:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm a Chip Hale fan and hope down the road he gets a managerial shot, but I am glad Gibson is the manager. There is probably a reason we don't know why Hale has not been hired as a manager in the majors, but right now the Diamondbacks have their man. It looks like Gibson has the respect of the players and when you have that, they will more than likely play as a team. Gibby gets a huge thumbs up from me. :thumbup:
I, too, can't help but be curious why Chip Hale has been passed over for Manager by two teams, after his success as Minor League manager. He and Kirk have similar personalities.

I am so glad to see Gibson turn the corner and improve team spirit as Manager.

I believe he previously set a mindset for the position players that they were almost all utility players. 'Not good!

But he's becoming more consistent with his batting orders, while still using the whole position player roster and, wow, look at what the D'backs are doing.

Sutton told the story tonight how Kelly Johnson hit for the cycle last year and the guys were congratulating him in the clubhouse after the game. Gibby said there would be no congratulations because we lost the game.

There were hurt feelings, but he sure established the mindset of team play over individual accomplishments.

And now it is all coming together.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I, too, can't help but be curious why Chip Hale has been passed over for Manager by two teams, after his success as Minor League manager. He and Kirk have similar personalities.

I am so glad to see Gibson turn the corner and improve team spirit as Manager.

I believe he previously set a mindset for the position players that they were almost all utility players. 'Not good!

But he's becoming more consistent with his batting orders, while still using the whole position player roster and, wow, look at what the D'backs are doing.

Sutton told the story tonight how Kelly Johnson hit for the cycle last year and the guys were congratulating him in the clubhouse after the game. Gibby said there would be no congratulations because we lost the game.

There were hurt feelings, but he sure established the mindset of team play over individual accomplishments.

And now it is all coming together.

My friend's son played on Hale's son's all-star team years ago and he said Chip was an a$$. Maybe he isn't a people person or he doesn't do well in the interviews.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
My friend's son played on Hale's son's all-star team years ago and he said Chip was an a$$. Maybe he isn't a people person or he doesn't do well in the interviews.
Thanks for the info.

Go, Gibby!

Y'know, if we win a second World Series before the Suns win one Championship, just as their own Phoenix Mercury have won two . . . and if Dallas wins an NBA championship before the Suns, maybe they'll get off their a$$ and do what it takes.

Go, Gibby!

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Go, Gibby!

Y'know, if we win a second World Series before the Suns win one Championship, just as their own Phoenix Mercury have won two . . . and if Dallas wins an NBA championship before the Suns, maybe they'll get off their a$$ and do what it takes.

Go, Gibby!

Your premise is logical but I dont think there's any amount of embarrassment or humiliation that will ever make Sarver care about anything but the $$$bottom line$$$

As far as the Dbacks go man, what a great game. I found out I wasn't a true believer because when we got down 0-4 I was thinking; 'awe crap here we go we're gonna lose 2 in a row,,, maybe we aren't that good.' but I kept watching and sure enough, this team came-back AGAIN. Seriously, every night it's someone else getting a timely hit and it's another pitcher coming through. The Arizona Diamondbacks are making Major League Baseball a whole lotta' fun right now!

Last edited:

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Was looking at some advanced statistics for fantasy purposes this morning and saw something interesting. The Dbacks are the best fastball hitting team in the Majors, and significantly so, above teams like the Yankees and Rangers.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Was looking at some advanced statistics for fantasy purposes this morning and saw something interesting. The Dbacks are the best fastball hitting team in the Majors, and significantly so, above teams like the Yankees and Rangers.

That could be due in large part to the fact that they had been (over the past several years) one of the poorest hitting teams in the majors. Why mess around with the off-speed junk when you can simply get guys out throwing hard stuff down the middle?

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
The Dbacks are actually directly in the middle of the majors in terms of percentage of fastballs thrown to them. So its not that. They are still in the lower 5 of the majors in contact % and many of the stats aren't really that different from 2009 and 2010. They are however making more contact on pitches outside the strike zone. Better two strike approaches? Who knows.

Anyways I think they just happen to have a line-up where most nights every guy can do damage to a fastball.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
When is the last time Heilman pitched an inning without giving up a run?

They never use him in close games but once you bring him in its like saying to the team, "Games over, sendin Heilman in to mop up."

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
When is the last time Heilman pitched an inning without giving up a run?

They never use him in close games but once you bring him in its like saying to the team, "Games over, sendin Heilman in to mop up."

he can't be on the team for much longer. he is just plain awful. there has to be an arm in the minors worth bringing up in the same role of long relief (Enright?)

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
Dbacks beat the Nats 4-0 behind Collmentor's 7 ip, 3 h gem. Drew delivered a 3-0 fastball off the cf wall to stamp it shut.

The top was down on a beautiful night for baseball.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's amazing what happens when a starting pitcher keeps his pitches down and changes speeds. Collmentor didn't invent this stuff, he's just way ahead of the curve in understanding the game. The question becomes how long he can maintain control. Do this over a season and he's a 20-game winner.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe that there are posters on this board that as of May 30th, are calling Gibby wishy-washy, and comparing his results to Bob Melvin. It was also said that the D-Backs were a sub-500 team just like the Suns.

Get a life-----Yes last year the D-Backs were the worst team in baseball. Yes, we started out by playing sub-500 ball during the month of April. I don't know where you were during may, but this club entered June on top of the division,5 games over .500.
Last year this time, we were 20 games under .500, and right now were are tied with SF for the lead and I believe are 6 games over .500.

That is one remarkable turnaround for a club that was full of pitcher who were afraid to face the batter with the game on the line, or for hitters who hated to come to the plate with two out and a runner in scoring position late in games. They were afraid to fail, and fail they did. Look at the difference now. Gibby has given them confidence, and has them daring to make the big hit, or the big play, or the big pitching sequence.

Calling him wishy-washy because he has not yet got a set lineup is a low blow to a guy that has this club on a tear. He is playing the hot players, and he now has enough confident players that he can make some moves during games, or even adjust the lineup according to the pitcher they will be facing on a given day. This club is full of players that like each other. That wasn't always the case, but Gibby has worked on having each others back. They are playing for each other now, and the results have been spectacular. Give the guy a break will ya? He even has Justin Upton playing carefree and putting the ball in play.

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
J-Up has been plunked 3 times in the last two games. Hopefully the games sets up so we can return the favor and let a Nat eat one.

As Gracies would say, it's time for a "good ole fashioned donny brooke"

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
Saunders counters a classic Livo performance with a 7ip, 2h, 0r gem while Drew and X-Nady provide the 2 runs needed as Hernandez & Putz are money again in the 8th & 9th to down the Nat's 2-0.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Give the guy a break will ya?
It is obvious that we are thrilled with the job Gibby and the D'backs have been doing in moving from worst to first. It is fun to root for the D'backs again.

He brought fire and determination that we needed so badly.

But if you are looking backwards, it doesn't change that Kirk Gibson has shown the same weakness as his predecessors this season. He has a tendency to take too long to react to a situation that needs changing.

And as much as I like him, I don't like that he won't give public credit to the ballplayers who are giving their all for him. Such as responding to a reporter who asked if Roberts is now pretty much his 3B by not responding.

There is a fine line between motivating your team to do better and conscientious players eventually saying, "What's the use? No matter what I do, it's not good enough." I just think that's counter-productive and something that Gibby should work on.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
It is obvious that we are thrilled with the job Gibby and the D'backs have been doing in moving from worst to first. It is fun to root for the D'backs again.

He brought fire and determination that we needed so badly.

But if you are looking backwards, it doesn't change that Kirk Gibson has shown the same weakness as his predecessors this season. He has a tendency to take too long to react to a situation that needs changing.

And as much as I like him, I don't like that he won't give public credit to the ballplayers who are giving their all for him. Such as responding to a reporter who asked if Roberts is now pretty much his 3B by not responding.

There is a fine line between motivating your team to do better and conscientious players eventually saying, "What's the use? No matter what I do, it's not good enough." I just think that's counter-productive and something that Gibby should work on.

Who cares what he says publicly? On top of that he has been consistent to what he said publicly anyways. He has never said anyone is his full time starter because he wants competition at every position.

It seems like you have a problem with Gibby. Most managers wait too long to make changes and continually change lineups. It is not limited to just Arizona. Take a look around the majors and you will see the same thing.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares what he says publicly? On top of that he has been consistent to what he said publicly anyways. He has never said anyone is his full time starter because he wants competition at every position.

It seems like you have a problem with Gibby. Most managers wait too long to make changes and continually change lineups. It is not limited to just Arizona. Take a look around the majors and you will see the same thing.

Unless the Dbacks clinch by July, he will be upset, because Chip Hale is not the manager.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can't give Heilman any more time for him to figure it out, they just can't.