2011 Diamondbacks Thread

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Season starts TODAY!! (appropriately enough)

Record Predictions?

NoelPHX

Space for Sale
Reaction score
I haven't really watched baseball in years so I am making an attempt to get back with it since the Suns are done and who knows what will happen with football. Knowing as little as I do and just based off last year my prediction is:

63-99

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
They will be better than last year. I'm thinking somewhere around 75-87. With a couple of good bounces they could be .500.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Their 3, 4 and 5 starters are key... If they can somehow go easy on the pen and pitch into the 6th and 7th innings on a fairly regular basis, the D-backs have a shot at 80 wins. However, my gut tells me that the pen is going to get used and abused as I really don't have much faith in Saunders, Enright and Galarraga. Also, wouldn't hurt if Upton actually played even close to his all-world potential... Can Young put up a follow-up year to his solid season a year ago? Can we get any decent offensive production from First and Third Base??

Realistically, I think if this team got to 75 wins it would have to be considered a solid season.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Defense is going to cost this team way more games than it should. 70-75 wins.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
D-Backs are better than half the teams in the league right now. Hopefully we can manage to shock a few people.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
No series threads this year?

27Veer

Veteran
Reaction score
but it was the kind of a win that we couldn't do last year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
but it was the kind of a win that we couldn't do last year.
'Nothing like a real closer.

Mora is the only starter who did not get a hit. I hope that's not an omen at 3B for this season.

I also hope the bottom three of the starting rotation can hang in there.

It will be nice to enjoy D'backs games.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
We lost so many close ones last year because of the bullpen, so who knows what can happen if Putz is solid? We definitely don't have the same power line-up as last year, but maybe that could be a good thing. If Young, Upton, and Drew play up to their potential I think we can should score some more runs. I have more faith in Gibson to end the swing-for-the-fences approach that led to so many K's. Although I have to say that I'm not comfortable with Young as the clean-up hitter. I feel that puts him in that mindset that screws with his game.

We definitely need another starter as someone already mentioned, so that we don't overexert the relievers, because we still aren't that good there.

76 wins and high hopes for next season.

I just want to beat the Dodgers...every time. And of course I'd like to see much more from Upton. It was a helluva start yesterday.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The bullpen and defense will be the key if the Diamondbacks want to stay in contention.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Why on earth do they continue to schedule games in cold weather climates at the start of baseball season? Such crap.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Why on earth do they continue to schedule games in cold weather climates at the start of baseball season? Such crap.
And why would they build an open stadium in Denver?

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
And why would they build an open stadium in Denver?

I don't mind the fact they have an open stadium since baseball is supposed to be played outside. I actually can't stand domed stadiums. The problem is baseball never learns and continues to scheduled games in cold climates to start and always have a few games postponed because of snow. I don't know why they can't just schedule the first week in southern parks and domed stadiums. One of these days they will learn, you hope.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Although I have to say that I'm not comfortable with Young as the clean-up hitter.

I actually like Young in the 4th/5th spot. He is a big RBI guy and needs to get chances. Last year he hit 1st 173 times and still ended up with 91 RBI. If he hits the way he did last season it is not inconceivable that he could get 110-120 RBI by hitting further down in the lineup.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I guess I should show more confidence in him. He's a pro and should be able to adjust his game.

On domed stadiums, I feel most places should have a retractable roof, but always keep it open during decent weather.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dbacks get bases loaded, one out. Branyan pinch-hits. Strikes out...

:bang:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It's still early of course... however, thus far, I've seen nothing but the same 'ol D-backs... Good enough starting pitching to consistently place the team in position to scratch out W's, yet, untimely hitting or no hitting at all makes it impossible... Upton and Young are going to have to have monster years in order to compensate for the otherwise ongoing pathetic offensive performance from the rest of the team...

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
It's still early of course... however, thus far, I've seen nothing but the same 'ol D-backs... Good enough starting pitching to consistently place the team in position to scratch out W's, yet, untimely hitting or no hitting at all makes it impossible... Upton and Young are going to have to have monster years in order to compensate for the otherwise ongoing pathetic offensive performance from the rest of the team...

Have to disagree with you. Last year these games would be 7-3 or 5-1. Our starters might have kept it close but the pen would have put the game out of reach. Right now we are in every game. It will take time but this team is moving in the right direction.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Yep, one way or another, whether it be SP, RP, hitting or defense, this team continues to find ways to lose.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Have to disagree with you. Last year these games would be 7-3 or 5-1. Our starters might have kept it close but the pen would have put the game out of reach. Right now we are in every game. It will take time but this team is moving in the right direction.

Perhaps... my point was really about the Starting Pitching itself and how the D-backs have consistently produced enough quality starts to secure WAY more W's than they do... But yes, last year it was BOTH the relief pitching and the offense. Thus far this year, the pen has been quite solid.
Again, IMHO, Upton and Young are going to have to have monster seasons for this team to be competitive...