2010-2011 English Premiere League Thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So Everton loses 1-0 with the blame solely on Timmy Howard. Tough way to start the season.

Liverpool v Arsenal tomorrow! Go Gunners!

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully Vela gets some PT. He had 3 assists the other day vs Warsaw :-D

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Really worried about Arsenal this season. I know the transfer window isn't closed yet but I wish Wenger would have added some depth at CB and a new GK before the opening game. Also, Fabregas and Van Persie might not play against Liverpool today.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Arsenal having some good chances to close things out near the end of the match. Rosicky had the equalizer but the keeper had a great save.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Arsenal playing a man up the whole 2nd half but Liverpool were the much more aggressive team for most of it. A lazy, careless defensive play gave up a goal at the beginning of the 2nd and a lucky own goal on Reina gives Arsenal the tie.

Arsenal in the final 3rd was very bad. No creativity or breaking down of Liverpool's defense. Arshavin was terrible and nobody on this team can put in a decent cross. Almunia looked very shaky at times and he was lucky that a few of the balls he wiffed on didn't land near a Liverpool player.

I'll take the tie but there are still issues that need to be sorted out if they want to contend for the title.

Also, Koscielny was given a red (2nd yellow) at the very end so the lack of depth at CB is going to be an issue right away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Arshavin to me is the most disappointing player on Arsenal. But you could really tell that the team missed Cesc--Nasri was actually pretty good, but he doesn't have the creativity that Fabregas has. Also, Alex Song would have helped a bit too because he's really good at setting up the final 3rd. Diaby and Eboue just aren't as good. In fact, Diaby barely touched the ball the whole game.

And PLEASE, will they buy a freaking keeper already? Enough of this Almunia crap.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
And PLEASE, will they buy a freaking keeper already? Enough of this Almunia crap.
It looks like Mark Schwarzer from Fulham will be brought in, probably sometime this week. He's already 37 and would be a 1 or 2 year option. Givens from Man City has been rumored as a possibility but I don't see them selling him to one of the teams they'll be battling against for a CL spot.

They still need 1, maybe 2 more CBs. They already have lost Gallas, Silvestre and Cambell, but have only brought in Koscielny.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It looks like Mark Schwarzer from Fulham will be brought in, probably sometime this week. He's already 37 and would be a 1 or 2 year option. Givens from Man City has been rumored as a possibility but I don't see them selling him to one of the teams they'll be battling against for a CL spot.

They still need 1, maybe 2 more CBs. They already have lost Gallas, Silvestre and Cambell, but have only brought in Koscielny.

CB has been a problem for so long, even last year, it's unbelievable that Wenger hasn't brought in another one, even though I really like the Koscielny signing.

As for Schwarzer, I don't care if he's a 1 year rental, get him to Arsenal!

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
I completely agree. Just hope one of the young guys can step up or Wenger has another plan in mind a couple of years from now.

Anything but Almunia or Fabianski.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man City gets Milner

Manchester City have agreed a player-plus-cash deal with Premier League rivals Aston Villa for James Milner. The 24-year-old will undergo a medical at Eastlands on Tuesday afternoon and City midfielder Stephen Ireland will move in the opposite direction.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't see why this thread can't handle everything. All you guys are doing is trying to pad your post count.

Nasri being out is a blow, but it's only a month, which isn't long at all. And Cesc will be back this weekend against Blackpool.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Luckily Arsenal's next 3 games are against Blackpool, Blackburn and Bolton. Plus, the midfield is the one area where there is depth. Should be fine while Nasri is out.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Luckily Arsenal's next 3 games are against Blackpool, Blackburn and Bolton. Plus, the midfield is the one area where there is depth. Should be fine while Nasri is out.

Yeah it's all about the back line right now.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
nice start to the season for chelsea - a pair of 6-0 wins .... need to continue to stay focused through this early season stretch

the finish to the bolton/west ham game was kind of fun as well

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yep, looks like hes just pending physical. Did this guy play for Sevilla when Barca blew them outta the water?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This big of a win could be just what the Magpies need at the close of the season. If we do end up in a relegation fight, having managed a +3 GD after two games will very much help.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Arsenal got a tough result at Blackburn this morning. And we may have lost Robin van Persie AGAIN to injury. Theo continued his stellar play, though, which is a good sign, but Andrei Arshavin is becoming more and more frustrating.